Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

The snow has just arrived here P.M. There doesn't appear to be any sleetiness, but it's very light atm

Joys of been on the coast I think. I'm still surprised at the temp. still 1.4C. You must be colder being that bit further inland. Anyhow you're in for a treat if you catch the showers that we got, they were quite heavy at times.

Posted

Thank the humber streamer mate :nonono: more to come.

Also the band down south, as it pushes back on it's Northern track is pushing some energy further north.

Lewis

its a weird feeling at mo because im excited but at same time thinking how much bloody snow there will be after that easterly and also strongish winds! could get nasty here with the totals :nonono:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Beginning to look like it may clear from here but the showers are moving quicky behind the band so it maybe only a short repreive.

Of course if we have a strong wind which whips the snow up we may never whether it's snowing fresh snow or not.

Edited by The PIT

Posted

Could someone (JH?) provide a little explanation here?

Where is the cold air? Now 0.6 and rising. Isn't it supposed to be falling back by now?

Posted

3 bright flashes to the ENE of me, sudden down burst of hail and snow mixed in.

1 low rumble of thunder.

Lewis

love it! id love to see thundersnow!

Posted

Thunderstorm :)

:clap: Nice One!

Theres certainly some potency in the showers.

Iv'e just been outside and to my dissapointment it's thawing!! Still got 7cm's but the showers are adding nothing!

Any idea when the temp will drop here on the coast?

Temp now 1.7C :)

Edited by PMPhotography

Posted

Where is the cold air? Now 0.6 and rising. Isn't it supposed to be falling back by now?

I was just thinking the same thing, its hovering around 1 here, when will it start to freeze?

Posted

WOW, just seen a flash to my East! Never seen thunersnow in all my life!!!

id rather exchange some of my snow to see thundersnow!!!

Posted

Its all a very slow process-the fact that those on the Lincs coast are seeing lightning shows the unstable and, believe it or not, markedly colder air, especially with height, but also with lowering dewpoints is going to make it very slowly and probably erratically west or SW over the area through the night.

patience boys and girls your snow is going nowhere for perhaps a week at least other than ablation(a natural evolution) some slight sun thaw at times and consolidation as it sinks on itself with its own weight.

As to the snow-hail-thunder showers, then follow the radar or look at the Extra outputs each time they come out. Thunder snow is probably to be confined to a narrow coastal belt.

Posted

Its all a very slow process-the fact that those on the Lincs coast are seeing lightning shows the unstable and, believe it or not, markedly colder air, especially with height, but also with lowering dewpoints is going to make it very slowly and probably erratically west or SW over the area through the night.

patience boys and girls your snow is going nowhere for perhaps a week at least other than ablation(a natural evolution) some slight sun thaw at times and consolidation as it sinks on itself with its own weight.

As to the snow-hail-thunder showers, then follow the radar or look at the Extra outputs each time they come out. Thunder snow is probably to be confined to a narrow coastal belt.

Thanks John

Posted

I think all of Yorkshire has a definite risk of seeing heavy snow, even though the Met warnings are for eastern areas.

The area highlighted in green is what we (and most already are) need to watch, the areas with a yellow circle is profe that if the precipitation is heavy enough then it will push inland. The showers are gaining intensity on the east coast, up until now the showers haven't really been heavy enough to push inland, but the showers over the north east are heavy enough so they are pushing inland.

post-8968-12627261394552_thumb.jpg

Edited by 10123

Posted

Thanks for the detailed explanation John, learnt some more now! Pleased to here most of the snow is going to stay for a while.

I think it must be around freezing point outside now, there are icicles forming on the garden bench and trees. Hope it gets even colder as the night goes on. BBC have us at 4 degrees at midnight as do the metoffice on their website, hopes that way off the mark.

Posted
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem
  • Location: Hebden Bridge (561 ft ASL) A drug town with a tourist problem

Beginning to look like it may clear from here but the showers are moving quicky behind the band so it maybe only a short repreive.

Of course if we have a strong wind which whips the snow up we may never whether it's snowing fresh snow or not.

Hi TP,

The snow cleared mid arvo here and i have been watching the showers peppering the north sea coast ever since. For my location they seem to be getting ever closer but it has been a bit of a wait since. From my days, many moons ago, working in Weather Watchers Scotland i seem to remember that around a system you get Descending air which squashes the shower development until it is far enough away. My feelibng is that as the systm slips south then the showers will make their way further across the country and this together with a secondary trough slipping south through the borders should give us in West Yorks and possably South Yorks a ffurther top up overnight. Thats what i reckon anyway :blush:

Good luck

Ned

EDIT Perhaps John H Could put a little meat on the bones of the Descending air idea and the prospects for any showers making it over to the Pennines tonight - Thanks :whistling:

Edited by ned

Posted

I think all of Yorkshire has a definite risk of seeing heavy snow, even though the Met warnings are for eastern areas.

The area highlighted in green is what we (and most already are) need to watch, the areas with a yellow circle is profe that if the precipitation is heavy enough then it will push inland. The showers are gaining intensity on the east coast, up until now the showers haven't really been heavy enough to push inland, but the showers over the north east are heavy enough so they are pushing inland.

post-8968-12627261394552_thumb.jpg

Seems that way, with no high hills to really pass. Will the intensity of the clups of showers round the borders will shuttle south as the main low pressure sinks southwards?

Posted

This is OUTSTANDING. Been moderate snow for the past hour, still coming down nicely! 13cm covering! with perhaps 14cm very soon. If i catch some shower in the early hours then i may make it to 15cm biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif I wonder how much snow will be on the ground by the end of the week?

Here's our snow man biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

post-6181-12627271974552_thumb.jpg

We stole their lawn lol laugh.gif

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Seems that way, with no high hills to really pass. Will the intensity of the clups of showers round the borders will shuttle south as the main low pressure sinks southwards?

Don't really know, I'm guessing when when the low pressure makes further movement south the streamer may be cut of.

Posted

3 bright flashes to the ENE of me, sudden down burst of hail and snow mixed in.

1 low rumble of thunder.

Lewis

That's brilliant lewis, I wish I'd seen that. There's what

seems like a considerable shower heading right for me atm :wallbash:

Posted

Yorkshire threads very quiet tonight :p Not alot of the usual lot on tonight.

Edited by R0b

Posted

This is OUTSTANDING. Been moderate snow for the past hour, still coming down nicely! 13cm covering! with perhaps 14cm very soon. If i catch some shower in the early hours then i may make it to 15cm biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif I wonder how much snow will be on the ground by the end of the week?

Here's our snow man biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

post-6181-12627271974552_thumb.jpg

We stole their lawn lol laugh.gif

aww man im so glad youve got simular covering !!!!!!!! going to get worse by saturday with bbc being keen on drifting snow! :whistling:

Posted

So that's what they did with the real Lewis............................. :):)

Haha!! Wrong beer tho, i dont do becks. :)

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis