IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Still snowing lightly here in high darton, 9" now, no work tommorow

Posted

Still snowing lightly here in high darton, 9" now, no work tommorow

23cm???????? bloody hell mate! its good 15cm here

Posted

Those showers in the North seem to be making good progress inland, hope for us lot later on in the night... smile.gif

I never seen anything like it over here John! I have no idea how long its going to take to melt considering there is nothing mild for the next week at least. Plus we have further snow showers to come. Looking very good :yahoo:

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

itsabout the same here Craig and still snowing

this must be just as bad as 1991 event now? what are your thoughts on those showers?

Posted

Nothing happening here at the moment, but it will be interesting to see what happens this evening and overnight :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

is this snow over S.Yorkshire/N.midlands stalling here?

Posted

As long as I don't have to go to work I don't mind. Not bad to say we weren't included in any warnings;-)

incorrect you were

also had you gone to my web site the video told you yesterday what to expect and I updated it by text quite early this morning so it just depends where you look I suspect.

anyway its the most snow in Doncaster since January 1987-see my post some time ago so all of us have experienced a very rare event today-and its still not finished.

re Typhoon now

its slowly decreasing in size and inensity but will take well into the evening for many parts of Derbyshire and S Yorks to get somewhat clearer but even colder air in.

this must be just as bad as 1991 event now? what are your thoughts on those showers?

its worse-the most snow since January 1987 - then 23cm 14 January the highest in 50 years of records in the Doncaster area-currently we are about 10 or 11th in that league-might get close-once we exceed 16cm then there is just 19cm from21 December 1981 to get into second!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Im sat here wondering what all the fuss is about. still got our dustings from saturday and this morning with some slight snizzle earlier on but now it seems i am going to have to wait until thursday for any proper snow!? even thats going to change!

I look at the news and its hard to imagine its happening right on my doorstep when theres nothing but a dusting here!

Edited by dapick2002

Posted

incorrect you were

also had you gone to my web site the video told you yesterday what to expect and I updated it by text quite early this morning so it just depends where you look I suspect.

anyway its the most snow in Doncaster since January 1987-see my post some time ago so all of us have experienced a very rare event today-and its still not finished.

re Typhoon now

its slowly decreasing in size and inensity but will take well into the evening for many parts of Derbyshire and S Yorks to get somewhat clearer but even colder air in.

its worse-the most snow since January 1987

Its got quite some way to go here yet. Theres around 3cm at the moment which only makes it the deepest since March 2008. If we go beyond 4cm then its the most since January 2004 but that event produced 20cm of level snow so its unlikely to beat that!

Theres some very intense shower acitivty in the North Sea which is pushing slowly towards the region so there could be some fun and games yet. The temperature is pretty good too at -0.1C with a dewpoint of -1.0C. Max today was 1.0C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

12cms here in S8 8RA.. looking amazing out in our lane.. just off to take some photos.. snowboarding in graves park later!

Posted

Its got quite some way to go here yet. Theres around 3cm at the moment which only makes it the deepest since March 2008. If we go beyond 4cm then its the most since January 2004 but that event produced 20cm of level snow so its unlikely to beat that!

Theres some very intense shower acitivty in the North Sea which is pushing slowly towards the region so there could be some fun and games yet. The temperature is pretty good too at -0.1C with a dewpoint of -1.0C. Max today was 1.0C.

Just started to snow here now mate.

And for me it's the deepest since March 2008 as i have 4cm of snow.

I don't think nothing will beat 25cm December 2005 with over 1 foot drifts (i know i didnt live in hull at the time, it was catwick/leven area). So i suppose i aint had as much as 10-12cm since December 2005 in Hull, doubt this week will change things, but you never know lmao.

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

its worse-the most snow since January 1987 - then 23cm 14 January the highest in 50 years of records in the Doncaster area-currently we are about 10 or 11th in that league-might get close-once we exceed 16cm then there is just 19cm from21 December 1981 to get into second!

That is amazing! is it wrong to think we could beat those records knowing how well doncaster does out of these easterly setups? drifting always happens in a stiff easterly breeze here!

12cms here in S8 8RA.. looking amazing out in our lane.. just off to take some photos.. snowboarding in graves park later!

snowboarding on skate decks?

did that yesturday on the wolds :D:)

Posted

Looks like alot of snow heading into Yorkshire this evening, worried about temp though as its 1.9 and dew point

is 0.6. Hope this improves soon as the 4" we had is thawing rapidly.

Posted

Not really thawing here, snow showers continuing and hail, but temp back up to 0.5, when will they drop?

Posted

I don't think there are any records to beat here, heaviest snowfall since 23rd Dec 2009, 2/3rd of February (09) produced the same amount of snow.

Posted

incorrect you were

re Typhoon now

Hi John, I was referring to the Met Office website, I often visit your website to find out temp, dewpoints etc as you are quite close to my area:0)

Posted

Just started to snow here now mate.

And for me it's the deepest since March 2008 as i have 4cm of snow.

I don't think nothing will beat 25cm December 2005 with over 1 foot drifts (i know i didnt live in hull at the time, it was catwick/leven area). So i suppose i aint had as much as 10-12cm since December 2005 in Hull, doubt this week will change things, but you never know lmao.

Lewis

Its notoriously bad up Leven way. My dad worked up there and got the car stuck in a 2 metre snow drift back in February 1991. Level snow was around 30cm back then. Just shows what a potent easterly with the -15C isotherm and tight isobars can do here.

Speaking of which, theres some heavy showers just making landfall now and intensifying as they go. Some more heavy snow to come in the next half an hour.

Posted

Just been out and measured. Very nearly to the 10cm mark. I suspect with a few heavier bursts we shall make it. Currently 9.75cm. Im thinking 15cm by Saturday if i do well with the showers? Currently gone very light however i expect to alternate over the next few hours before clearing :hi:

Posted

Its notoriously bad up Leven way. My dad worked up there and got the car stuck in a 2 metre snow drift back in February 1991. Level snow was around 30cm back then. Just shows what a potent easterly with the -15C isotherm and tight isobars can do here.

Speaking of which, theres some heavy showers just making landfall now and intensifying as they go. Some more heavy snow to come in the next half an hour.

Yep hammering it down here mate niiiccccceeee :hi:

Posted

Just been out and measured. Very nearly to the 10cm mark. I suspect with a few heavier bursts we shall make it. Currently 9.75cm. Im thinking 15cm by Saturday if i do well with the showers? Currently gone very light however i expect to alternate over the next few hours before clearing :o

thats exactly what i was expecting by saturday and now its nearly 16cm now already!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Not been out to measure yet but I would reckon at least 8-9 inches of snow blanketing the ground here on the hills above Halifax. Its finally stopped now after lasting a good 10 hours. Certainly can't complain, the most snow I have seen outside of my hiking trips in the Peak District since I can remember. Its made getting about very difficult though.

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

What can I say, superb day ! Last mesurement was 15.5 cm and it's still snowing quite heavily at times too.. dread to think what I will awake to in the morning..

Posted

Yeah, it's amazing what an easterly can do back then, espeically with -15 isotherm!

Im keeping on them showers too mate. I think after this, we look to the NE, i have a hunch the flow is changing all the time.

Lewis