Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

This has to be the best event in my lifetime! STILL SNOWING!

breeze picking up and it feels so bitter!!!!

Cant believe its good solid 14cm depth with 15-16cm on grass :good::D :D feel a bit greedy!

Fantastic pics and im pleased for you :drunk: there must be close to around 3 inches here now :drunk:

Posted

Did you take a measurement on your ramp John?? laugh.gif

me ramp!

I would not know a ramp if I fell of it

Posted

Fantastic pics and im pleased for you :drinks: there must be close to around 3 inches here now :good:

cheers mate! i just wish everyone could have this snow! just amazing! overhang of snow cover on my roof top!

Posted

And there we have it, flow changing here now, all them showers in the N sea are moving and itensifying on the E edge of band near me, and not only that, them showers N into the North sea and that big massive clump east of newcastle = heading right for HULL! LOL

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

And there we have it, flow changing here now, all them showers in the N sea are moving and itensifying on the E edge of band near me, and not only that, them showers N into the North sea and that big massive clump east of newcastle = heading right for HULL! LOL

yeah your going to get a dumping tonight mate :drinks:

Posted

yeah your going to get a dumping tonight mate :crazy:

Anything else would be a bonus overnight here, I'm thoroughly happy with my 4.5-5cm of snow :good:

And it will keep me happy for a good month.

I would also like to thanks John Holmes, for having to put up with me over the past few days, he should be use too it by the end of the week :crazy: and also thanks to him for his input!! :drinks:

Not forgetting Reef's post last night with the Skew-T, if i would not have seen that, i would have had a sleepless night last night.

lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

me ramp!

:(

Just been out for a quick measure. On top of the birdtable, which is all fresh from the last few days, 21 cms. On the rabbit hutch, which is a bit more sheltered, 24 cms.

I avoided surfaces where old pre-Xmas snow had remained, but these are 30+ cms

Edited by Pennine Ten Foot Drifts

Posted

me ramp!

amazing how the west side of doncaster has a good 4-5cm more :(:(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Just as I'm about to leave Lincoln, we finally get some decent snowfall, with snow now settling readily - just popped out to the car park and the depth is now 32mm!!!

Off for a drive home over the Wolds now! Looking at the radar, it looks like the southern edge of the front is now starting to slip south just a little, with more extensive, if light ppn over the northern half of Lincs. As Lewis has said, the North East flow is now starting to assert itself north of the Humber - potentially interesting evening ahead.

Posted

Anything else would be a bonus overnight here, I'm thoroughly happy with my 4.5-5cm of snow :)

I would also like to thanks John Holmes, for having to put up with me over the past few days, he should be use too it by the end of the week :) and also thanks to him for his input!! :good:

Not forgetting Reef's post last night with the Skew-T, if i would not have seen that, i would have had a sleepless night last night.

lewis

im glad youve got snow mate! herd that its been melting in scarborough!

Posted

Just as I'm about to leave Lincoln, we finally get some decent snowfall, with snow now settling readily - just popped out to the car park and the depth is now 32mm!!!

Off for a drive home over the Wolds now! Looking at the radar, it looks like the southern edge of the front is now starting to slip south just a little, with more extensive, if light ppn over the northern half of Lincs. As Lewis has said, the North East flow is now starting to assert itself north of the Humber - potentially interesting evening ahead.

lets hope it makes it down to us . lol

Posted

Anything else would be a bonus overnight here, I'm thoroughly happy with my 4.5-5cm of snow :good:

lewis

I agree that any snow overnight would be a bonus mate :) it's still snowing pretty heavy here.

Posted

im glad youve got snow mate! herd that its been melting in scarborough!

Thanks mate, glad you've done really well too.

Look back to my post last night, dunno if you had seen it;

Posted Yesterday, 18:24

"Snowfall - N Yorkshire and Derbyshire - Sheffield/Doncaster/ they are my favorite areas to receive accumulations."

For once i'm right hahaha :drunk:

regarding thawing, we have lost a good 0.2cm of our snow, nothing really, pretty lucky. The thaws mainly on roofs and on cars.

Lewis

Posted

Thanks mate, glad you've done really well too.

Look back to my post last night, dunno if you had seen it;

Posted Yesterday, 18:24

"Snowfall - N Yorkshire and Derbyshire - Sheffield/Doncaster/ they are my favorite areas to receive accumulations."

For once i'm right hahaha :drinks:

regarding thawing, we have lost a good 0.2cm of our snow, nothing really, pretty lucky. The thaws mainly on roofs and on cars.

Lewis

Deffo was right!!! amazing differences though! john has like 10-11cm where here has a good 4cm more!

I was only expecting 5cm and then the total by friday with 15cm! and the easterly hasnt even started yet and it makes me worry a little because my road in my street never gets treated and its bad now!

Posted

My accumulations so far are:

back garden path - 8cm to 12cm

pond side - 11cm - 12cm

table - 10cm to 16cm

drive - 9cm to 11cm

car roof - 8cm

garden - 15cm to 16cm

Here's some pictures for you (hope it works!):

post-1708-12627076547652_thumb.jpgpost-1708-12627076563252_thumb.jpgpost-1708-12627076532552_thumb.jpgpost-1708-12627076503552_thumb.jpgpost-1708-12627076520352_thumb.jpgpost-1708-12627076490752_thumb.jpgpost-1708-12627076450352_thumb.jpgpost-1708-12627076464752_thumb.jpgpost-1708-12627076478752_thumb.jpg

Posted

Been a great day today, some very heavy snow, we have around 20cm of snow. It looks like West Yorkshire was the worst hit as the band didn't sink south as much as projected, hopefully some heavy snow showers tonight.

Edit: Just measured the snow, 15-20cm on the ground.

Edited by 10123

Posted

Hi guys, just thought i would let you know that Meto have just issued another flash warning for our area over night;

E Riding of Yorkshire

Kingston upon Hull

N Lincolnshire

N Yorkshire

NE Lincolnshire

York

Heavy Snow & Widespread Icy Roads

1800 Tue 5 1100 Wed 6

Further heavy snow showers are likely at times this evening and overnight but become less widespread during Wednesday. Further accumulations of 3-8 cm are likely with widespread icy roads and pavements developing.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1537 Tue 5 Jan

Lewis

Posted

Had over a foot of snow (almost a thigh to be precise, lol) & its blizarding now & quite

intense still, which wasnt forecast. Just been out and taken some pics a few hrs ago, so its

worse now

post-3616-12627083869152_thumb.jpg

post-3616-12627084023452_thumb.jpg

post-3616-12627084165852_thumb.jpg

post-3616-12627084327152_thumb.jpg

post-3616-12627084547252_thumb.jpg

post-3616-12627084768952_thumb.jpg

post-3616-12627084950652_thumb.jpg

post-3616-12627085126052_thumb.jpg

Posted

Snow coming down quite well now, expecting it to last a couple of hours. Its falling at about half a cm an hour. Just bean out to measure and i have 9cm on the ground with 11cm on the grass. Not bad for a days work <_< !!

Posted

Iv'e not been able to get online all afternoon and have just checked the radar! I'm amazed! All that shower activity peppering the East coast and Iv'e seen nothing! I spoke to family in town (About 3 miles away) and they've had heavy snow showers all afternoon!

Can't be long now. I can confirm a slight thaw here with max temp of 2.1C, It was only melting on cars and trees though and the temp is dropping away now at 1.1C.

Should be an interesting night!

Posted

Unbelievable!

At 3pm the snow started to fall much heavier, enormous flakes........just in time for the school run. By the time we got back at 4pm an additional 3cm had fallen!

Temp currently 0.4C, dew 0.0C.

Still snowing moderately.

Posted

Hi guys, just thought i would let you know that Meto have just issued another flash warning for our area over night;

E Riding of Yorkshire

Kingston upon Hull

N Lincolnshire

N Yorkshire

NE Lincolnshire

York

Heavy Snow & Widespread Icy Roads

1800 Tue 5 1100 Wed 6

Further heavy snow showers are likely at times this evening and overnight but become less widespread during Wednesday. Further accumulations of 3-8 cm are likely with widespread icy roads and pavements developing.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1537 Tue 5 Jan

Lewis

and once again us down here in sth lincs, miss out on the fun. enjoy everyone.

Posted

Its amzing how the BBC said snow for us here in Pinxton around 16:00 and still nothing on the radar. that band in the north just seems to be not moving to me.

Can anyone confirm if it will move south

Chris

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Deffo was right!!! amazing differences though! john has like 10-11cm where here has a good 4cm more!

I was only expecting 5cm and then the total by friday with 15cm! and the easterly hasnt even started yet and it makes me worry a little because my road in my street never gets treated and its bad now!

Calderdale told me that there is a 'national shortage' of grit/salt so only essential routes and emergency clearences for the emergency services are being undertaken.

We had hit emergency reserves before chrimbo so looks like we'll be out completely by the weekend!!!shok.gif I imagine any Local Authority impacted by the pre-chrimbo snow/cold will be in the same situation.

I imagine a few BBC horror stories before long.cold.gifsmile.gif