Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

shrewsbury and Salop WILL get snow when the low starts to move away, also any area with the main front to the north of them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I dont feel very positive - but im just going to keep lampost watching all night. Never know what could happen in this sort of air flow, surrounding a low pressure systen - although i think if anything significant was coming it would have been picked up by now.

Posted

At 1800 a whole batch of warnings for the Midlands will expire. It'll be interesting to see if they renew any of them.

For Northants of course this is when the warning starts, but I'm still not getting my hopes up, fearful of a "close but no cigar" situation. Even Jules on Radio Northampton wasn't too optimistic (up to 5cm perhaps, maybe more) but was clearly unsure herself.

Latest NMM is deployed soon-- will keep you posted as that was good for snow prospects here this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I dont think so Nick....latest NW & RainToday radars showing nothing over Cannock...thats why there's nothing falling out of the sky...but that will change over the next few hours :drinks:

I'm not so sure, the Met Office warning expires in 2 minutes for a reason! Will be very surprised to get anything more than a further dusting tonight. Even though heavy snow is just a few miles away, it isn't making any attempt to get anywhere near us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Radar suggest more heavy snow approaching very shortly. It seems heavier than what the radar suggest as usual with snow.

Posted

Non stop snow from 11am here, just about 5cms of snow now, another 5 on top would do nicely, would like to see some heavy stuff though, as this has all came about due to the fact its been falling for 7 hours rather than the intensity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

If Meto warnings arent updated especially for West Mids, Warks, Worcs and Herefs then they are mental! :D

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I'm not so sure, the Met Office warning expires in 2 minutes for a reason! Will be very surprised to get anything more than a further dusting tonight. Even though heavy snow is just a few miles away, it isn't making any attempt to get anywhere near us.

As you probably already know, due to events over the past 3 weeks, I pay scant regard & indeed have little faith in Met Office warnings...as soon as their published, they're out of date

Posted

The precip rates down south are mental, 30-40cms will definately fall somewhere id av thought.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Well looking out of my window in rugby... the thinest of thin dustings :D The whole snow system dodged us earlier and now its skimming us and breaking up each time it does.. doh and damn :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

That is the thing about this precip,when you think you may get more, it just gets pulled away just as it's a few miles from your location. On the other hand it may be being pulled towards your location just as you think no more is coming. Birmingham is on the borderline of where of this precip pivots, you can see the precip get here, and then sink back southwards. That's just the way it goes.

the pivotal point seems to be 20 or so miles further north than Brum...Over my house seemingly, in fact! The radars dont lie (well, not big lies anyhoos) :D

Posted

Well, thats me completly embarrassed about my moaning of 'how rubbish it is here for snow' last weekend.

Best bit of humble pie i've ever tasted today!

..and still snowing heavily.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Back to the rubbish very fine light snow again now. Rain equivalent would be drizzle.

Posted

A band of heavier stuff looks to be heading this way, currently its north west of oxford, south east of brum, Is it gonna make it this far though? any1 from leics got any ideas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

hey anyone know whats up with the 12z? Nottingham is total snizzle come RAIN almost. Its misting out with small snow.... I keep waiting for the stuff north of us to come, but its petering out! DOH!!!!!

Posted

Well, thats me completly embarrassed about my moaning of 'how rubbish it is here for snow' last weekend.

Best bit of humble pie i've ever tasted today!

..and still snowing heavily.

This was a problem last week with members in the W Mids in particular moaning about how unproductive this cold spell would be for them. I hope lessons have been learned from this spell so far. The east is not necessarily favoured and anything can happen once the cold is locked in!

Also no cold spell is ever the same as a previous. Apply local knowledge yes but never assume anything.

Posted

looks like this winters off to a familiar theme. Before Christas snow was forcast, all that come from it was a light dusting.

Today there were warnings about a large amount of snow, simalar to just before Christmas, and just as before nothing of any amount came.

I packed my car witha few warm items, spent a while trying to find my 'snow scraper' fully expecting some snow to build up during the day.

it started snowing quite heavily at about 10:00 am, but it had all stopped after 20 minutes leaving a light dusting, not even enough to make a snowball.

then at about 12:30 it started again, then promptly turned to drizzle, what had fallen started to thaw.

At the moment theres a few light flurries of snow about, but its not amounting to anything much, just another light dusting.

All the roads were completly clear on my drive home with the exception of a few puddles at the side. What snow had fallen was hiding behind a few clumps of grass.

Theres some warnings about heavy snow tonight, based on todays non event, and the pre christmas snow warning that left nothing on the grass, im extremly sceptical.

Posted

Wow it's so quiet out there, i can't hear the motorway so it must have slowed to a crawl, snow here goes from heavy to moderate, mod atm. :drinks:

Posted

post-6740-12627149369352_thumb.png

The area circled heading northwards needs to be kept an eye on, could deliver for some areas of the midlands, moving north quite quickly and pepping up all the time.

Posted

By the way the further north and east this snow gets initially the better for Northampton in the long run once it begins to pivot back. To be honest the radar looks very similar to the NMM run this morning.