Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

lol im keeping an eye on precip moving up from the south, others from the north sea coming from the west, got a feeling someone somewhere might get lucky

The radar on nw is crazy now, not very often see precip one side of birmingham heading south and on the other north. looks like it could be good though.

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Main band definately missing, we'll get the scraps at best. This is pathetic and not looking much better

says what??...predicted radar & models??.....If you go by them, then yes, both you & I will miss out by 30-50 miles or so, but mother nature has this ability to throw spanners in the works...Call me the eternal optimist (and believe me, I'm not) but a small movement of 30 or so miles, and you'll wake up to a covering you didnt bargin for......have faith, my young apprentice :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

In south brum we have been having a repeat of this mornings dump for about 20 minutes now!!!! An inch has fallen already.

Edited by camperstron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

says what??...predicted radar & models??.....If you go by them, then yes, both you & I will miss out by 30-50 miles or so, but mother nature has this ability to throw spanners in the works...Call me the eternal optimist (and believe me, I'm not) but a small movement of 30 or so miles, and you'll wake up to a covering you didnt bargin for......have faith, my young apprentice :)

But optimism sets you up for one thing...disappointment.

Pessimism means you will either be proven right or pleasantly surprised, there is a method to my madness!

It does suck though, the centre of everything is south Shropshire/Staffordshire, meaning everything is swirling around us and not getting a great deal closer. On a plus point though, anything that does manage to get over us won't move anywhere fast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Anyone noticed how TEITS isn't posting? :cc_confused:

I aint happy with his loyalty to be fair. When it's an Eastern event he stays in the East Anglia/South East thread and when it's a Midlands event he usually comes in here and acts as a Midlander, but now he is missing out on the snow he isn't even posting in here. Maybe he is in the East Anglia thread again? Seems odd he hasn't posted.

Posted

well we've had about 7cm today, and its still falling over parts of the midlands, but i do feel that the snow will abate fairly shortly, leaving us with a very nice covering overall. not bad for a snowfall at all. very pleased with what we've had, but i wouldnt say it was an exceptional amount. still though, long live the cold, and hopefully the onset of the thaw will get postponed. good luck for more snow for all tonight :cc_confused:

Posted

In south brum we have been having a repeat of this mornings dump for about 20 minutes now!!!! An inch has fallen already.

Although not the heaviest snow in the country right now, birmingham looks like one of the places to be due to the way the snow is pivoting around it.

Posted

Heavy powder snow now, looks amazing like a million diamonds sparkling as it falls, i think this may be why the radar is having trouble with it's perception of fall rates.

In my experience powder snow never falls massivly heavily, just moderate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Pessimism means you will either be proven right or pleasantly surprised, there is a method to my madness!

It does suck though, the centre of everything is south Shropshire/Staffordshire, meaning everything is swirling around us and not getting a great deal closer. On a plus point though, anything that does manage to get over us won't move anywhere fast.

[/quote

snowing again now, rather parchy and intermittent, but as you say the snow we have looks like lasting through the whole of January

and into FI now, ukmo and ecm look great for weekend, showers will make it here easily, but GFS pants!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

YES, YES, YES, YESSSSSS!!! :D NMM is stunning once again guys. Very keen on the idea of this band reaching Northants:

post-5649-12627158454152_thumb.png

Chart © Netweather Extra.

Speak for yourself, looks crap IMO :cc_confused::D

Posted

Anyone noticed how TEITS isn't posting? :cc_confused:

I aint happy with his loyalty to be fair. When it's an Eastern event he stays in the East Anglia/South East thread and when it's a Midlands event he usually comes in here and acts as a Midlander, but now he is missing out on the snow he isn't even posting in here. Maybe he is in the East Anglia thread again? Seems odd he hasn't posted.

He won't be upset next week , he is in the best place for a continuation of the snow for the next 10 days. I still can't believe how lucky we have got tonight. Starting to get deeper now.

Posted

Yes, getting lighter here as well and i reckon it'll come to an end soon. Still that heavy band over Wales everso slowly inching towards us. One final bow from that maybe?

All in all an excellent day here in Stourbridge. More than i could have hoped for. Must be nearing 10 cm here in Wordsley and that beats 2nd February last year.

Posted

just as you think it cannot get any better for the midlands, the ECM pops up with and absolutely epic easterly!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php

:clap:

Posted

snowing again now, rather parchy and intermittent, but as you say the snow we have looks like lasting through the whole of January

and into FI now, ukmo and ecm look great for weekend, showers will make it here easily, but GFS pants!

The fact that the GFS predicted the very heavy stuff to be plonked right on top of us says a lot about its accuracy.

Posted

YES, YES, YES, YESSSSSS!!! :clap: NMM is stunning once again guys. Very keen on the idea of this band reaching Northants:

post-5649-12627158454152_thumb.png

Chart © Netweather Extra.

let alone norhants, if keeps that trend it will be getting up here, alot further north as compared to this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Blimey Nick, can I borrow a blunt knife, so I can slash my ankles very slowly?!!

The dark side surrounds you, great fear I sense in you young Skywalker...:clap:

Anyways, StarWars mirth aside, we are caught between the proverbial rock & a hard place, but we will get some snow tonight be it flurries or something more significant, could just do with that LP dropping SE a bit quicker. That would at least give us a few hours of light snow from the northern flank

Posted

Optimism is OK after one or two disappointments, but when it's the 6th mega-letdown in a fortnight it's difficult to maintain much longer. When a place has as much "previous" as Shrewsbury for persistently missing snow, it's hard to see any way out. Being on the wrong side of margnal is annoying, having zilch when every surrounding county/region is blanketed takes the proverbial.

Posted

Blimey Nick, can I borrow a blunt knife, so I can slash my ankles very slowly?!!

The dark side surrounds you, great fear I sense in you young Skywalker...:clap:

Anyways, StarWars mirth aside, we are caught between the proverbial rock & a hard place, but we will get some snow tonight be it flurries or something more significant, could just do with that LP dropping SE a bit quicker. That would at least give us a few hours of light snow from the northern flank

As long as I get enough to get the day off tomorrow I don't care how much we get, be it 2cm or 20cm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

6cm of snow here. Lovely. :clap:

Posted

Need to travel to east mid airport from here need to be there by 7:30 tonight, Travelling A38 and A50 is it clear ?

Snowing here but not much,

Thanks jk.

Im not that far from the airport, at the momnent its snowing lightly but the roads should be relativly clear, aircraft are landing on runway 27, over kegworth, and taking off over Donnington/Melbourne.

east midlands airport weather info:

http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/france.php?icao=EGNX