Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I don't know of anybody has noticed , but the showers in the North sea are now feeding into the midlands and chaining , this should continue all night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Back to the rubbish very fine light snow again now. Rain equivalent would be drizzle.

Nick?...c'mon chap! stop having a moan..you've had more than others on this thread...aaand, never say never, the equivalent of drizzle it may be, but to look at it another way, 4mm of precip over a 12 hour period could be classed as drizzle..as snow thats 3-4 cm of snow...with our misfortune in recent snow events, I wouldnt kick that amount out of bed for farting!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

A band of heavier stuff looks to be heading this way, currently its north west of oxford, south east of brum, Is it gonna make it this far though? any1 from leics got any ideas.

Yeh I thought that, no idea what this PPN is gunna do to be honest.

Posted

Still no precip; had 5 minutes of "snizzle" half an hour ago which left a millimetre of slush on some surfaces. It's like living on the coast in this wretched town; it rains and sleets, won't stick, melts in a few hours when it does stick, misses altogether- at least on the coast they get decent sunshine in summer (another thing Shrewsbury keeps missing)..........

Posted

looks like this winters off to a familiar theme. Before Christas snow was forcast, all that come from it was a light dusting.

Today there were warnings about a large amount of snow, simalar to just before Christmas, and just as before nothing of any amount came.

I packed my car witha few warm items, spent a while trying to find my 'snow scraper' fully expecting some snow to build up during the day.

it started snowing quite heavily at about 10:00 am, but it had all stopped after 20 minutes leaving a light dusting, not even enough to make a snowball.

then at about 12:30 it started again, then promptly turned to drizzle, what had fallen started to thaw.

At the moment theres a few light flurries of snow about, but its not amounting to anything much, just another light dusting.

All the roads were completly clear on my drive home with the exception of a few puddles at the side. What snow had fallen was hiding behind a few clumps of grass.

Theres some warnings about heavy snow tonight, based on todays non event, and the pre christmas snow warning that left nothing on the grass, im extremly sceptical.

In Derby its chucking it down. Has done for the past 30 mins. Winter wonderland with a good cover everywhere :ph34r:

Posted

post-6740-12627149369352_thumb.png

The area circled heading northwards needs to be kept an eye on, could deliver for some areas of the midlands, moving north quite quickly and pepping up all the time.

Have been watching it for the last hour , if it get's this far the flakes will turn massive.

Posted

If so, gutted.

I doubt you'll be left with nothing though.

This band has dropped about 7 inches of snow on me at the moment cold.gif

7???? You're only 10 miles outside Shropshire as well! Been reading reports of 8-9 inches from Cheshire; North Staffs has plenty too, Worcs, Birmingham got a covering... what the hell is wrong with this county??????

Posted

Although it currently looks like no one has a clue what precip will end up where, if it was to continue its current course northwards combined with it pivoting slightly, we could get a good couple of inches yet at least over the next few hours. Having said that though, precip does what it wants and could get on our doorstep and decide it dont like leicestershire and head back south

Posted

Wow it's so quiet out there, i can't hear the motorway so it must have slowed to a crawl, snow here goes from heavy to moderate, mod atm. smile.gif

thats one of the things i remember in cold/snow snaps when i was a kid, i've just been out, roads are dead ,snow coming down and getting foggy,,,,loverly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

It`s just swirling around the new low Andy.

Still coming down well here,about6cm lying now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

By the way the further north and east this snow gets initially the better for Northampton in the long run once it begins to pivot back. To be honest the radar looks very similar to the NMM run this morning.

Indeed, a near miss (with some snow) for north western parts of the region, but generally a bit of a bullseye!..That wrap-around will give northants/warks/oxon a damn good covering by morning! :)

Posted

Need to travel to east mid airport from here need to be there by 7:30 tonight, Travelling A38 and A50 is it clear ?

Snowing here but not much,

Thanks jk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Still very light here - a long way to go to beat last Feb that's for sure!

Posted

As long as the low's centre stays to the southwest of us (actually i think there are two centres to this low atm, one over brum the other over the severn near Gloucester or monmouth), we should keep the feed of snow from the south northwards over brum/warks/northants..ect.

Even when the low starts to move away, the main front to the north of the region will be pulled down over the whole region giving snow to places that haven't seen any thus.

Bloody exciting imo! :)

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Mad aint it? I havent looked out the window for a good 30 mins because the radar suggested that only light PPN was falling over us, heard these kids shouting in the street so I looked out and they were sledding down our road :) and it is coming down in 20p size snow flakes now at a steady rate, the PPN has picked up and the radar has said it's died down, what on earth is going on here :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Im really stunned that Shropshire is just missing out!

Snow still falling here. :)

Posted

I think hinckley and nuneaton for once are two of the luckiest places, because when it stopped for most we managed to hang on in the very light precip continuously since it began, hopefully now we might get some heavy stuff to add to it. :)

Posted

Indeed, a near miss (with some snow) for north western parts of the region, but generally a bit of a bullseye!..That wrap-around will give northants/warks/oxon a damn good covering by morning! :)

I just come back from getting the shopping done early, rather do it before the snow gets here. So you reckon Northants is still good for snow overnight tonight then, what about tomorrow ?

Posted

What was getting me excited earlier was the chance of the snow which affected here earlier this afternoon pushing far enough north east of here, so that it would get pulled back down in a south west direction over Birmingham, but it seems I was 5-10miles too far north. Oh well,nothing that can be done about that. I suppose the balance of luckiness and unluckiness has now been restored.

Can only hope that the precip to the NE of here intensifies on its travels to the west Midlands. Dare I say I'm disappointed overall....please don't shoot me for saying that.laugh.gif

How far north in birmingham are you? ... it's non stop snow here!

Posted

I don't know of anybody has noticed , but the showers in the North sea are now feeding into the midlands and chaining , this should continue all night.

Keeping a eye on that as well, i am just west of Leicester so as long as it takes a N/NE track we should be ok :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Im really stunned that Shropshire is just missing out!

Snow still falling here. :)

Staffordshire and Shropshire (but especially Shropshire) have once again done fairly badly out of this. Has to end at some point though.

Posted

How long before it reaches Northampton as i got to drive to Moulton and back tonight and dont fancy driving in heavy snow if i can avoid it ?

Moulton is the other side of town to where i live, takes about 30mins through town or 15 mins dual carriageway

Edited by Frank