Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Anyone got any idea what the heck the precip is supposed to do this evening? There isn't as much around as I thought there would be. The precip over the West Midlands and Midlands area seems to be pepping up a slight bit, only very slowly. Is that precip supposed to pep up as the evening wears on and turn into a more organised band? I don't see how that precip in the English Channel will move Northwards? :drinks:

Posted

please excuse the picture.

The front is gonna start curling back around it's self soon around the centre of the low, which in turn is gonna move off towards the south east, that's why the precipitaion is gonna be so intense near to the centre of the low.

snowfront3.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Anyone got any idea what the heck the precip is supposed to do this evening? There isn't as much around as I thought there would be. The precip over the West Midlands and Midlands area seems to be pepping up a slight bit, only very slowly. Is that precip supposed to pep up as the evening wears on and turn into a more organised band? I don't see how that precip in the English Channel will move Northwards? :drinks:

not sure mate...an area of light snow has sprung up to the west and north west of brum over the past hour...its snowing lightly here atm, and we're smack bang in between the two bands of snow...all I can say is 'time will tell' me old fruit :winky:

quick edit....good post CH, explains quite nicely :lol:

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Anyone got any idea what the heck the precip is supposed to do this evening? There isn't as much around as I thought there would be. The precip over the West Midlands and Midlands area seems to be pepping up a slight bit, only very slowly. Is that precip supposed to pep up as the evening wears on and turn into a more organised band? I don't see how that precip in the English Channel will move Northwards? cc_confused.gif

I am so glad you are as confused as I am!clap.gif

Looked so good when I woke up this morning and then boom, nothing??unknw.gif

No idea where anythings coming from or going to now!!wacko.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Anyone got any idea what the heck the precip is supposed to do this evening? There isn't as much around as I thought there would be. The precip over the West Midlands and Midlands area seems to be pepping up a slight bit, only very slowly. Is that precip supposed to pep up as the evening wears on and turn into a more organised band? I don't see how that precip in the English Channel will move Northwards? :unsure:

I think it's supposed to be the band that's currently over Wales and the Irish Sea that's going to move south-east and reach the Midlands later. It certainly doesn't seem to be moving very quickly though, so the BBC forecasts I've seen lately seem to be out on their timing as far as the Midlands is concerned, unless some snow is going to develop out of nowhere, although something seems to be brewing west of Birmingham going by the last couple of METO radar images.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

PLEASE PPN just pep up like a beauty slap bang over the whole of the Midlands and stay there for hours and hours, please just this once!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I am so glad you are as confused as I am!clap.gif

Looked so good when I woke up this morning and then boom, nothing??unknw.gif

No idea where anythings coming from or going to now!!wacko.gif

Well, if all else fails, then there's always a spot of 'SE Snow thread' baiting to be had to brighten an otherwise dreary day :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Slight covering here this morning - thawed and left nothing now. Doesn't look atm like we're going to be seeing much later.

Posted

Just got home to Kenilworth and it's snowing here and settling - light snow, but about an inch now and still falling and sky still full of it. Bring it on!!!clap.gif

Posted
  • Location: Alrewas - North Staffs(203ft ASL) 5 miles north of Lichfield
  • Location: Alrewas - North Staffs(203ft ASL) 5 miles north of Lichfield

Looks like the Alrewas snow shield has prevailed again

Posted

Question for anyone more technical.

There is a quarant of the UK, SE of a line from The Wash to Leicester to Southampton which the precipitation seems unable to cross without dying.

Anyone know why?

And, as I live just East of this "snowshield" , is it going to change?

Len

Edited by len

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

another non event - hummm another wait until next time cray.giffool.gifgood.gifgood.gif

2-3cms may be but nothing much looking at the latest data for later on wallbash.gif

Posted

I've got to say it's not looking good for the E Midlands tonight... we've been desperately unlucky :whistling:

BBC Radio Northampton keep saying that the snow is going to move in from the North and West to give substantial accumilations later/overnight/tomorrow morning and more to come after that lot.

Seems difficult to believe, i know, bit like the calm before the storm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow

Looks like the Alrewas snow shield has prevailed again

Tell me about it, Whittington's has aswell! I think we should move out of the Trent Valley....dry.gif

Posted

there is a chance that, as the low moves away, the fronts in the south may start to move northwards for a while before sinking back to follow the the direction of travel of the low

Posted

Oxfordshire is under the warnings for "Very Heavy Snowfall" on the Metoffice website, so if the forecast holds up you should see a fair amount overnight.

Posted

BBC Radio Northampton keep saying that the snow is going to move in from the North and West to give substantial accumilations later/overnight/tomorrow morning and more to come after that lot.

Seems difficult to believe, i know, bit like the calm before the storm!

Well the south of the East Midlands, perhaps.

But for Notts, Derby and Leics, I just cannot see it at all.

Posted

Hmm, it's getting darker & darker here, somthing on the way?!

Yes...its called 'Night-time'....

Sorry, couldnt resist! :whistling:

Posted

Hmm, it's getting darker & darker here, somthing on the way?!

Yes night time!!!

Sorry couldn't resist :lol:

Its actually gone very misty here which is a little unexpected and its "drizzling" snow.

Posted

I think it's supposed to be the band that's currently over Wales and the Irish Sea that's going to move south-east and reach the Midlands later. It certainly doesn't seem to be moving very quickly though, so the BBC forecasts I've seen lately seem to be out on their timing as far as the Midlands is concerned, unless some snow is going to develop out of nowhere, although something seems to be brewing west of Birmingham going by the last couple of METO radar images.

No no, it's the stuff over the English Channel. The NMM has this pushing NE up through central southern England and the Midlands later.

The precip over the Irish Sea is going to head SW clipping south west Wales and Cornwall.

Posted

Yes...its called 'Night-time'....

Sorry, couldnt resist! :lol:

dam it!

beat me too it!