Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 15

I may have to borrow some, as dont want to breach my limited supply!!

This is for the end of the snow/ice spell. So you really need to bring your last snowball, otherwise the snow gods will make us wait another 40 years for a decent spell like this.

Posted

A wake for the snow and ice!! We could all bring a snowball from our gardens and have a sacrificial melting to the snow gods :p

... and with 'Winter of 2010' t-shirts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

However you look at it, theres been lying snow in many parts of Scotland since Dec 17th (the first easterly).

Thats 21 days.

Without betting our mortgage on the models, most of us would agree though I think ... that for those of us who have lying snow ... its likely that we'll hold onto most of it by this time next week. Even if we do go through more freeze/thaw and it gets degraded to a mixture of snow,ice, crust and slush - and even some grass sticking out for those with only a few inches now (eg Leith) - for some of us.

Thats 28 days.

Thats incredible.

I'm prepared to stretch that possibility by another few days as even the relatively poor GFS outlook(were we to give it credence) puts us under the north-western flank of a euro-high of some kind by then. It would probably be warmer than now, the snow would be looking crappy, more coastal/marginal melt I'm sure ... but the cold surface and enough night-frosts - would see us hang onto it to an extent - even in patches. So "at worst" I'd think its a slow decline into a cold/damp/slushy period by day 10 or so of the outlokk period from where we are now.

So a good chance we'd still be looking at snow around us - or within a few miles of us - albeit in poor condition in many places - in 2 weeks time. I don't think we'd be enjoying any winter-wonderlands in the cities and low-lying areas by that time - "raw", damp and unpleasant by then I'd think. In fact I think we'd probably be screaming for wind and rain to wash away the grit, the clag and the mush.

But that'd be 35 days .

That would be a hell of a cold stretch and would virtually guarantee a well-below normal January average temperature.

Who knows what happens beyond that. Other than to say that Europe will still be cold, so we will have a cold continent to the east of us. Thats got to influence the rest of the winter.

How many of us can remember an end-to-end period - possibly 35 days worth by then - of continuous cold/snow/slush/ice/frost ? I can't and I'm 49 !

Edit: true I was alive in 62/63 but forgive me for not remembering the details !

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Whiteout now with great big juicy flakes, looking good for Aberdeen?

Posted

Very good point B-T. Usually we would be pleased with the same snow on the ground for 3 days.

On another subject, NW forecast for Dundee shows 85% chance of 12hours of snow showers in dundee tonight...........seems unlikely, unless I am missing somethingcc_confused.gifcc_confused.gif

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;page=2;type=free;ct=9380~Dundee;sess=#forecast

Posted

Whiteout now with great big juicy flakes, looking good for Aberdeen?

Not here yet but not long now I think. DP & temp have been on the rise, so it is coming.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Afternoon all.

Finally managed to dig my computer out of the snow.

We got at least 20 cm last night from that series of showers streaming through the borders. On my picnic table we now have around half a metre+.

Snow plough came through at some point during the night, but then another 5 cm fell so I'm stuck at home with a sledge. Damn.biggrin.gif

Some pics

post-9421-12627801128952_thumb.jpg

post-9421-12627801262552_thumb.jpg

post-9421-12627801422752_thumb.jpg

Posted

Afternoon all.

Finally managed to dig my computer out of the snow.

We got at least 20 cm last night from that series of showers streaming through the borders. On my picnic table we now have around half a metre+.

Snow plough came through at some point during the night, but then another 5 cm fell so I'm stuck at home with a sledge. Damn.biggrin.gif

Some pics

Incredible photos! I'm jealous, we need a North Westerly :good:

Posted

However you look at it, theres been lying snow in many parts of Scotland since Dec 17th (the first easterly).

Thats 21 days.

Without betting our mortgage on the models, most of us would agree though I think ... that for those of us who have lying snow ... its likely that we'll hold onto most of it by this time next week. Even if we do go through more freeze/thaw and it gets degraded to a mixture of snow,ice, crust and slush - and even some grass sticking for those with only a few inches now (eg Leith) - for some of us.

Thats 28 days.

Thats incredible.

I'm prepared to stretch that possibility by another few days as even the relatively poor GFS outlook(were we to give it credence) puts us under the north-western flank of a euro-high of some kind by then. It would probably be warmer than now, the snow would be looking crappy, more coastal/marginal melt I'm sure ... but the cold surface and enough night-frosts - would see us hang onto it to an extent - even in patches. So "at worst" I'd think its a slow decline into a cold/damp/slushy period by day 10 or so.

So a good chance we'd still be looking at snow around us - or within a few miles of us - albeit in poor condition in many places - in 2 weeks time. I don't think we'd be enjoying any winter-wonderlands in the cities and low-lying areas by that time - "raw", damp and unpleasant by then I'd think. In fact I think we'd probably be screaming for wind and rain to wash away the grit, the clag and the mush.

But that'd be 35 days .

That would be a hell of a cold stretch and would virtually guarantee a well-below normal January average temperature.

Who knows what happens beyond that. Other than to say that Europe will still be cold, so we will have a cold continent to the east of us. Thats got to influence the rest of the winter.

How many of us can remember an end-to-end period - possibly 35 days worth by then - of continuous cold/snow/slush/ice/frost ? I can't and I'm 49 !

Edit: true I was alive in 62/63 but forgive me for not remembering the details !

What a horrible thought all that snow melt, there is always a downside to snow, Lovely day in Edinburgh now, hopefully more snow later?

Posted

Have a look at this...sums everything up...it really does!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/6924898/The-Met-Office-gives-us-the-warmist-weather.html

Oh and, yeah its a blizzard here, looks good for convection off of the north sea for aberdeenshire

Posted

Unbelievable. It is whiteout again.

Just when I thought the skies looked clear, some heavy showers appear to the NE and are now coming over us again.

I am starting to feel digging the car out is a bit like painting the Forth Rail Bridge; as soon as I finish, I have to start all over again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/6924898/The-Met-Office-gives-us-the-warmist-weather.html

Oh and, yeah its a blizzard here, looks good for convection off of the north sea for aberdeenshire

C Booker is one of the most vocal and best paid of all the media darling type AGW deniers around. Why anyone reads his drivel is beyond me. Oh, it's from the Torygraph... Quelle surprise.

Posted

C Booker is one of the most vocal and best paid of all the media darling type AGW deniers around. Why anyone reads his drivel is beyond me. Oh, it's from the Torygraph... Quelle surprise.

At least he has the courage to say what everyone else already knows!! Everyone has their opinion on GW, my only concern is that if it were true...why on earth would figures need to be manipulated??? It seems like a simple case of scare-mongering to create new industry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

At least he has the courage to say what everyone else already knows!! Everyone has their opinion on GW, my only concern is that if it were true...why on earth would figures need to be manipulated??? It seems like a simple case of scare-mongering to create new industry

Opinions aren't facts. This isn't the right thread for this, is it? :whistling:

Posted

http://www.telegraph...st-weather.html

Yeahbabyyeah - "weather" not "climate" is what we're experiencing. Brooker is one of the biggest deniers of the lot of them, surely you can see that everything he writes is laced with agenda and tabloidish hyperbole.

Anyway, back on topic, lovely day in Edinburgh today, felt almost a bit green when I saw the snow on the radar slide past Edinburgh overnight, but looks like tough conditions in the borders. There's some big depths reported around the country, particularly the NE - over 60cm in places, 50cm in the Borders.

Funny weather forecasts on News24 - the first one warning of (oh my god) -10C in parts of the south tonight... when the temperature int the N Highlands was a brisk -11C in mid-morning! The last one had a big comedy -20C plastered over Scotland for the end of the week... Nice one John Hammond!

sss

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

heavy showers now working in by dunbar

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted

*** EMERGENCY REQUEST ***

Sorry about the dramatic entrance here but I need the members help urgently !!!

My partner's Mum has just been rushed to hospital so my partner needs to get from Edinburgh to Aberdeen (specifcally Banchory but presume the hospital will be Aberdeen). Can anyone tell me how accessible the roads in the NE are just now as she clearly need to get up there urgently but is panicking about wether or not she can get through

Really grateful for any responses here

Thanks

Paul

Posted

Aberdeen airport to the Hospital, is only about 15-20 mins all main roads. These roads are clear as a bell on that side of town accord to DH who drove them this morning. It is currently snowing lightly in Aberdeen but I doubt very much if that's affecting the road conditions.

The roads from Aberdeen to Banchory however are possibly a different story, LadyP should be able to help with the state of the South Deeside road) - they will be passable but with care I would imagine, I can try to find out more if you like (my mum stays in Banchory) and I'm more familiar with the Hospital side of town to Banchory, via Westhill etc..

Posted

My partner's Mum has just been rushed to hospital so my partner needs to get from Edinburgh to Aberdeen (specifcally Banchory but presume the hospital will be Aberdeen). Can anyone tell me how accessible the roads in the NE are just now as she clearly need to get up there urgently but is panicking about wether or not she can get through

Thanks

Paul

You're probably ok to about half way there / north of Dundee. However, I understand heavy snow is moving down the coast up there right now so road conditions could be bad. Check the radar and traffic scotland for more info

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

http://www.trafficscotland.org/ (seems to be offline right now, but should come back soon).

Trains should be fine.

Posted

Thanks

Paul

As far as Dundee is fine for certain, and looking at cameras clear run up to Stonehaven , although there is snow moving down from the north, but I would not imagine big enough to be closing main trunk routes

Posted

Whiteout again. This is getting a bit worrying.

I am effectively cut off.

Hold on; farmer just passed using his digger to plough the road. How very community spirited.

Posted

I was presuming your GF was flying up, hence my report from Airport, If she's driving I would advise driving into Aberdeen then back out to Banchory or what do you think YeahBabyYeah.. what's it like cutting across from Portlethen to Banchory just now?

Whiteout again. This is getting a bit worrying.

I am effectively cut off.

Hold on; farmer just passed using his digger to plough the road. How very community spirited.

Ahhh, this weather really brings out the best in small communities doesn't it

Posted

All,

A heartfelt THANKYOU to everyone who has responded so quickly ! As you will understand trying to get through to any of the Local Services about the conditions just now is a tad futile.

Have checked out the webcams and that , but more importantly your feedback , has resulted in a decision for my girlfriend to start the drive up to Aberdeen : for the first time ever I am now hoping for a break in the conditions ..... at least for the next few hours

Again - thankyou !

Paul