Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 15

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Here you are, peeps - a new thread...

Old thread:

Posted

So, you know how people say "I can smell the snow - it's coming" ? Decided to check the origin of the saying and just what exactly does snow smell like. Unfortunately, I found this

Posted

My thoughts exactly, the business centre has evacuated, every other company has left due to the snow and forecast yet we all have to stay and i live 20 miles away!

No luck at all! In fact, that's a bit of a disgrace really! Hope you get home safely :wallbash:

I normally work in Glasgow but need to go to the Edinburgh office tomorrow so hope the roads aren't too bad. Perhaps Ross B will have an update on the M 8 later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Hi guys, what a day.

We got to ullapool just about last night to get the crossing this morning to lewis... got up, another 5 inches in ullapool and calmac canceled the sailing due to snowfall in the minch!!! couldnt believe it, so spent the day travelling back to argyll through blizzards, drifts the whole shouting match!!

just home now having battled through heavy snow on the A82 all the way from glencoe village to just south of Crianlarich.

Not much snow here in Garelochhead though..

Posted

So, you know how people say "I can smell the snow - it's coming" ? Decided to check the origin of the saying and just what exactly does snow smell like. Unfortunately, I found this

HAHAHAHA. My sis in law says this all the time..."i can smell snow" Obviously its just her house she can smell, i'll be sure to point this out to her next time

rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

HAHAHAHA. My sis in law says this all the time..."i can smell snow" Obviously its just her house she can smell, i'll be sure to point this out to her next time

rofl.gif

My grandad does that. He managed to correctly predict a few marginal events that ended up as rain, but he fails drastically with streamer events as 'it has to be totally still for it to snow'cc_confused.gif Anyway, I can clearly see the barrier between the heavy snow band and the empty clouds now, and at the moment it is pretty much too close to call. If Dundee gets hit, we'll surely get hit, so let us know if you see snow Dundonians.

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Actually, it was really aimed at Pete - I know how excited he gets when the snow arrives :lol:

Oh, thank you Colin!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the snow showers have run-out for now???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Afternoon all.

Just had the pleasure of driving home from work (early, after radar watching) to Lauder from Edinburgh via Soutra on the A68. Absolute white out and crawling on the white at 30 mph.

Another couple of cms off that shower at the house, giving a grand total of 29 cm on the picnic bench.

-1.9 C

There are some serious showers out in the NS and that big band heading south should mean everyone in the mid (even west) to eastern central belt/borders has a good chance of a pasting this evening.

Best of all, we have a sledge! Like gold dust they are right now. Finally got one delivered after ordering on the net over a week ago.

Of course, it's not for me... For my 2 year old, honestly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Still in a direct northerly here so my punt is it will split and miss us! (pessimist or what!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Tomorrow morning looks interesting for all easties, according to the fairly accurate NAE mesoscale model

10010606_0512.gif

Posted

Being the bad weather predictor that I am, I'm wondering if there is a lot of snow expected over night for Fife(and perhaps Dundee)?

(Sorry, for pestering you all, with my questions etc.) SM

PS, thanks for the nice pics, PL! :wallbash:

Edited by snowmess

Posted

Being the bad weather predictor that I am, I'm wondering if there is a lot of snow expected over night for Fife(and perhaps Dundee)?

PS, thanks for the nice pics, PL! smile.gif

My guess, we will wake up happy tomorrow.............or do I just hope that??wallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Posted

PS, thanks for the nice pics, PL! smile.gif

Hard to call at the moment. The main band might not give us that much but with the winds turning more to the east and lots of convection showers forming behind the band, we'll hopefully see something.

Posted

Ended up not going to aviemore as too risky, so stayed in Glasgow and got some cracking pictures, went up east kilbride to stewartfield where the loch was frozen and then up cathkin where i got some great pictures(well my mate did as hes a camera nut!)so will get them uploaded later on.Also measured depth and at its deepest 30cm+ this is just accumulation of a few weeks and no melt.

If we get some more snow I can see there being silly totals up here also I am at 210 m asl which helps but even lower down theres nice snow :rofl: Cheers

Scott

edit; also thank god I didnt go up Aviemore as I wouldnt have got home seriously looks like the highlands are shut down for a while check out the drumotcher cam mental :whistling:

Edited by scott_anthony_glasgow

Posted

Looking at the Meto experimental it seems the first shower is at the mouth of the forth south of Leven

Not sure how much I trust that tho !

post-9298-12627105634552_thumb.png Netweather radar. Very hard to call, with a slight break in the main band right on the coast and the band heading slightly southwest. Showers appear to be packing in behind though, so I'd expect something, but this situation is knife-edge for many places.