Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 15

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Continues to snow here. Heavy to moderate, but tiny little flakes being blown around by a decent breeze. T went a little above zero, but back below again now.

By the way those showers are lining up. looks like the eastern borders will take a real hit tonight, edinburger and the eastern parts of fife too quite possibly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Wind is definitely turning now as it has gone from straight northerly to ENE. Also getting very gusty too. If there is any precipitation to be had overnight then I think we may get lucky. Quite blizzardy too I should think. Certainly feel a bit more hopeful now after seeing from Thursday thru' weekend runs! ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Wind is definitely turning now as it has gone from straight northerly to ENE. Also getting very gusty too. If there is any precipitation to be had overnight then I think we may get lucky. Quite blizzardy too I should think. Certainly feel a bit more hopeful now after seeing from Thursday thru' weekend runs! :lol:

Thursday looks of interest, what are the weekend charts showing? haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

That perfect corridor of NE on the satellite is spoiling our fun..

Posted

Maybe ENE later LS (we have to hope) but seems resolutely more like NNE currently. Frustrating as they're all queued up in the sea from Aberdeen southwards.

Just replaying the radar and looking for indications, it looks to be moving just slightly away - or at best parallel to - the coast from Aberdeen southwards. East Lothian will still get more stuff ... but right now from a nowcast perspective its not happening.

Aye, looks like that whole band has slipped south so even if the wind does turn I suspect we'll miss out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Thursday looks of interest, what are the weekend charts showing? haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Going by some of the charts that were put up in the other thread, it looks like a full on easterly!

Posted

No.

You teazin us likesay ? :)

The Op (which is utterly baltic) is a mild outlier!

Mean is at about -10 to -15

Would be a deep and very cold/snowy easterly right out to 240 and beyond

1963 anyone :)

Posted

Looking at GFS the current source of frustration deteriorates into a North Sea Low off Shetland by Thursday morning.

Let's hope it delivers :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Guess we got lucky that C02/GW might keep us at 1963 values !:shok:

1963 anyone :D

Edit: if anything tonights clearance is continuing. Any activity is now well off the Tayside/Fife/South Forth estuary coast. Maybe more to come in the Borders but thats it methinks. Embra airport now reporting North wind and temp slightly down at 0c/DP -6c

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

1963 anyone :wallbash:

HeyJoeShmoe, just wondering what u mean by mild outlier.... still bit new to many of the charts, not sure if im looking at the same ones.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Guess we got lucky that C02/GW might keep us at 1963 values !whistling.gif

Come on, these synoptics beat the heck out of '63!

Rgem1201.gif

The mildest option:

Recm1441.gif

Surely that chart beats this one hands down:

Rrea00119630110.gif

whistling.gif

Anyway, my humidity has hit a record low for this month of 67%, with a pretty strong wind blowing. The beeb have firmed up on the snow for around 6am, so maybe I'll wake up with a few more inches than I had when I went to sleep.

LS

Posted

HeyJoeShmoe, just wondering what u mean by mild outlier.... still bit new to many of the charts, not sure if im looking at the same ones.

Here you go Craig hope this helps, Joe can answer better than I but here's what i found..

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/25663-guide-to-ensembles/

To check your own area go here http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ensviewer;sess=

Anyway, my humidity has hit a record low for this month of 67%, with a pretty strong wind blowing. The beeb have firmed up on the snow for around 6am, so maybe I'll wake up with a few more inches than I had when I went to sleep.

LS

Dewpoints have slumped away, just shows how dry the air is so possibly no more snow then??

As for the charts, that's quite a comparison, isn't it? :yahoo: I wonder how low the temps would go if the high pressure settles over us??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Dewpoints have slumped away, just shows how dry the air is so possibly no more snow then??

As for the charts, that's quite a comparison, isn't it? smile.gif I wonder how low the temps would go if the high pressure settles over us??

Might break a few records I suspect. Newsnight Scotland is doing an investigation into the 'big freeze' - I wonder who's to blame?unknw.gif

I'm off anyway. If we do have anymore snow and school closes it'll be a pleasant surprise but I've given up expecting any really. Just really hoping for a beasterly to show up for Monday morning!

Night

LS

Posted

Looks like no more snow for Glasgow, I think it will remain dry the rest of the week but who knows? :D

I think if we get a straight easterly, any showers with it will feed there way through the central belt :D

Posted

I'm going to watch it, but I know it'll cheese-off us anoraks as it will inevitably be a dumbed-down simplistic semi-accurate and contentious reporting of whats going on. Fine for the punters but I expect for many of us we'll be picking holes in the report right, left and centre.

Well I know I will anyway ! :good:

Might break a few records I suspect. Newsnight Scotland is doing an investigation into the 'big freeze' - I wonder who's to blame?unknw.gif

I'm off anyway. If we do have anymore snow and school closes it'll be a pleasant surprise but I've given up expecting any really. Just really hoping for a beasterly to show up for Monday morning!

Night

LS

Posted

1963 anyone whistling.gif

High pressure still to close and will spoil the fun

Posted

Think its still in the balance where it ends up PB. Right on top of us v's further north/north east/east. Both bloody cold scenarios but only the latter offering up any real short/medium term snow possibilities.

High pressure still to close and will spoil the fun