Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 15

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Stay calm, breathe the freezing cold air deeply!! laugh.gif

lol i'll try

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

yeah I heard a report on sky news this morning of panic buying. store shelves picked clean at the prospect of "16.inch of snow" :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Stay calm, breathe the freezing cold air deeply!! :lol:

Cough, cough wheeeze, wheeze. Thanks Catch, that just gave me an Asthma attack!:drunk:

Posted

Stirling is currently clear but very very cold....

Had some flurries last night but nowt to speak about, hoping to have some more but it's looking unlikely.

I notice the bbc have stopped giving forecasts beyond tomorrow, although it was funny watching Gail Whasshhername on Reporting Scotland last night trying to tell us -20 was on the cards for next week.

Posted

yeah I heard a report on sky news this morning of panic buying. store shelves picked clean at the prospect of "16.inch of snow" rofl.gif

laugh.gif , don't know if this BBC one special will be on the BBC One Scotland , if not i'm just gonna watch it on BBC News 24 and see if scotland actually get's a mention , not holding my breath!

Edited by Calum

Cough, cough wheeeze, wheeze. Thanks Catch, that just gave me an Asthma attack!:lol:

Just as well you're a pharmacist (??) :drunk:

(not sure if you are, am I thinking about someone else??)

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

It doesn't have to "always" be like this. Just don't vote unionist :lol:

To be fair to the media, if Scotland was independent the world would revolve around Edinburgh and Glasgow instead.

Well the fact we maybe need our own Met Office does not imply how we should be voting!!!!

Posted

To pick up on what Snowplough was saying, for quite a few runs now the GFS has been wanting to let warmer air into the developing high over the weekend. However, the other models have the high slighly further north and keep us in an easterly. Presumably that would see the cold continuing? Could a slight change in the position of the high make all the difference?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Just as well you're a pharmacist (??) :)

(not sure if you are, am I thinking about someone else??)

Even Pharmacist's have Asthma Catch. If it wasne for your Inhaler where would ye be ...:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Hi much the same here as Calum - about 8cm of fresh new snow. Some pretty impressive blizzard conditions for a good while. Power was dicey but stayed on!

Everyone seems to be going for quieter conditions for the next couple of days, due to the high coming down over to Scottie. Again some interesting charts for w/end and next week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

It doesn't have to "always" be like this. Just don't vote unionist :)

To be fair to the media, if Scotland was independent the world would revolve around Edinburgh and Glasgow instead.

With the standards of journalism at the Herald and the S^*^*^*n, it would be far worse. It's hardly their fault though when the political class is as parochial and corrupt as ours.

Posted

It doesn't have to "always" be like this. Just don't vote unionist :)

Would that be Ulster Unionist or Democratic Unionist or Popular Unionist or ... we Ulstermen have so much more choice!:)

Well the fact we maybe need our own Met Office does not imply how we should be voting!!!!

No unionist party will give Scotland their own independent Met-O, regardless of how much any Scot may want one!!

Anyway, it's just as well we've got NW to fall back on for the time being :) :) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Even Pharmacist's have Asthma Catch. If it wasne for your Inhaler where would ye be ...:)

What have you been inhaling, CMD? :)

I appreciate that HS, that's why I said "just as well" you're a pharmacist, little chance of going short on a prescription then!! :) :) :) :)

The cold weather must be playing havoc with your lungs, bad enough for us non-asthmatics :)

Posted

What have you been inhaling, CMD? ;)

:):):):):):):):):):):)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Not to discuss politics in a weather thread, but by voting for independence we're more or less keeping the same relationship we have with the rest of the UK. We will all still be in the EU after all, we will all live together on these islands and we will all still talk to one another - it will just be more fair and Scots can get on with trying to make ourselves a better people.

Posted
laugh.gif , some guy's just tried to push his car out and demolished next door's front gate!

Posted

I appreciate that HS, that's why I said "just as well" you're a pharmacist, little chance of going short on a prescription then!! ;) ;) ;):)

The cold weather must be playing havoc with your lungs, bad enough for us non-asthmatics :D

Just breathe in through the nose out through the mouth Catch - warms and humidifies the frigid air all at once thanks to the Grand Designer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Cold but stunning morning here, -7'C.

Just breathe in through the nose out through the mouth Catch - warms and humidifies the frigid air all at once thanks to the Grand Designer!

I remember that one from playing rugby/running cross-country at school in sub-zero conditions with the P.E. teacher amongst other instructions screaming "in through the nose and out through the mouth". Those were the days.

Nice UK wide, balanced reporting from the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/05/snow-ice-chaos-frozen-fortnight

Posted

No unionist party will give Scotland their own independent Met-O, regardless of how much any Scot may want one!!

Anyway, it's just as well we've got NW to fall back on for the time being :yahoo: :lol: :lol:

Agreed.........Netweather is more reliable than many/most other Weather information sources! I would not be without it now.:):):)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Theres no doubt about that SRK.

Right on top of us , probably cold and dry in the immediate short-term. We'd keep the snow cover and depending on how much cloud is wrapped up in it, then we could test some low tempeartures in the interior.

If it sat to the east/north-east of us, then probably bringing a moderated north-sea influence. Depends on the uppers and the cold at the source (Norway, Denmark, Low-countries ?) - but most likely we could end up with a chilly rather than outright cold fetch to the east coast. Immediate east-coast could get some mushing up of existing snow but still with the majority of us holding onto most of it.

Unless we get a direct cold-fetch/good cold uppers though, we're likely to see any High in our immediate proximity begin to mix-in some atlantic/north-sea air over time, so thats got to be a moderating influence I'd think.

To pick up on what Snowplough was saying, for quite a few runs now the GFS has been wanting to let warmer air into the developing high over the weekend. However, the other models have the high slighly further north and keep us in an easterly. Presumably that would see the cold continuing? Could a slight change in the position of the high make all the difference?