Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Latest from the Met Office wrt tonight's potential snow showers in the west Mids:

This Evening and Tonight:

Another bitterly cold night with mostly dry and clear conditions. However, a band of snow showers will move into the region around dawn. Remaining icy with a severe frost in places. Minimum temperature -14 °C.

Posted

How are things looking for this weekend for Nottingham ? Keep hearing good things about sunday but would value the opinions of some of the experts on here

Edited by Ryan05

Posted

I can't explain how cold it is and how dangerous. Maximum of -2.7c here, it's now -4c at 4:15cold.gif

Got to -10c last night so I'm hoping for -8 to -12c tonight. Here's hopinggood.gif

P.S Slipped over on the snowfilled pavement and hurt my wrist. Nothing serious thought but take extra care

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

I dont think it'll be quite so cold tonight. I'd got -13ºC on my car this morning which reads a tad low but Dudley weather station was showing -12ºC (You cant see the minus sign on some of the columns on the chart.)

http://skylinkweather.com/metar/metar-show-data.php?stationid=EG62

Edited by kar999

Posted

omg cold.gif its sooooo cold out there and treacherous!

i went out to look for my son because i was worried! (I nearly fell about half a dozen times) help.gif they only went round the corner to the local shop but 45 mins later they still hadn't come back! i found them using the carrier bags from the shop as sledges. they had found the sloppy hill and were having great fun sliding down it rolleyes.gif .

i do love seeing record breaking low temperatures but i think i want some more snow tonight. or do i? pardon.gif . we are spoilt for choice clap.gif

Posted

looks like a bigger shower building in the wash now, surely that will make it far enough inland!

do u think we will get any.... wot r your thoughts on sunday/monday for our part?

Posted

Well possibly the first signs of a breakdown with both the ukmo and gfs looking poor past next wednesday. Still plenty of time for that to change.

Posted

do u think we will get any.... wot r your thoughts on sunday/monday for our part?

We should be in a pretty good position for some prolonged snow, won't know how heavy it will be till closer to the time though.

Posted

Not much sign of snow melting here in Great Barr North B'ham. Been a lovely day, sunshine all day but very cold! I dont expect snow tonight but I do expect very low temperatures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

-3.3c and falling brrrr

We have had full sun all day with a light breeze which has blow the snow of the trees. The canal is thick ice, a bloke was letting his dog walk on the ice, the ice is thick but its not something I would have risked.

Just check with bus company and if there is no snow tonight I'll be ok to go to Mum's in the morning. The bus is running today just missing out on some of the villages.

Must say not really looking forward to walking the dog at 6am.

Posted

Well possibly the first signs of a breakdown with both the ukmo and gfs looking poor past next wednesday. Still plenty of time for that to change.

I just hope the Showers pack in from Saturday onwards .. The bbc Forecasts are terrible for us just wanting to keep us cold and dry , unyet the GFS is insisting from Sunday onwards right until Wednesday will be packing into the whole country and if anything a trend to extend them Northwards. I know constant chaining showers coming in at the wash in a direct Easterly would pound Leicester with days of constant Snow. We need to make sure though it is a direct Easterly and doesn't go NE'LY or SE'LY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Just a few things to say about tonights gfs run ,

Firstly remember how that fi is fantasy land and can change so dont take it as an accurate forecast , although the trend is for a breakdown which would normaly mean a snowy one .

Secondly no point in looking at the ppn charts for the wkend as they mean absolultly nothing , where to look at is the bbc warnings as they have a good idea taking all the factors and adding there proffessional discression.

This wkend is goin to be a good one for the mids and to be fair once tuesday comes i think il be ready for a break to the snow and cold .

Posted

-3.3c here already, it's gonna be a chilly one!

Posted

Showers in the NW midlands tomorrow.

Do you think I'll se anything?

How much is possible?

When?

Thanks in advance

IMHO looking at the charts and not seeing a lot so pretty doubtful... remotedly possible towards the evening but v light if at all.... but thats mainly my simple speculation.

Edited by kar999

Posted

I don't think there will be any snow in this area overnight. Conditions are just not favourable. The showers aren't really getting any further west than the A1 right now.

If it does turn milder next week, lets face it...we've had a good run haven't we?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

We had a few clouds flying over earlier this afternoon, but clear sky now.

The met office map shows some snow reaching corby area but fading out about there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

I don't think there will be any snow in this area overnight. Conditions are just not favourable. The showers aren't really getting any further west than the A1 right now.

If it does turn milder next week, lets face it...we've had a good run haven't we?

We'r not lookin to the A1 for snow showers , theres a cluster now really starting do gather to our east and they have began to push in land on a growing easterly wind .

Im not saying it will happen , it proberbly wont but it makes good radar watching none the less .

This wkend will be fun tho .

-10uppers

Strong easterly wind . = blizzards/drifting snow

Low pressure nearby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I just hope the Showers pack in from Saturday onwards .. The bbc Forecasts are terrible for us just wanting to keep us cold and dry , unyet the GFS is insisting from Sunday onwards right until Wednesday will be packing into the whole country and if anything a trend to extend them Northwards. I know constant chaining showers coming in at the wash in a direct Easterly would pound Leicester with days of constant Snow. We need to make sure though it is a direct Easterly and doesn't go NE'LY or SE'LY

See, not wanting to curse it in any way... I think the conditions for Saturday and Sunday look pretty good. The flow is E/NE on Saturday and that is not too bad for our area because I find in E/NE flows that are quite strong we get showers feeding off the coast near Skeggy way and reaching us.

The GFS for tomorrow night/Saturday morning seems to agree too.

Rtavn424.png

Then on Sunday and Sunday night into Monday the winds start off E/NE on Sunday too but they swing round to a straight Easterly on Sunday night into Monday and speaking from experience when that happens... Snow showers usually get to Leicester through the Wash area and it is an ideal situation for us when that happens.

Posted

Cannock Chase Council have now run out of grit and the bin collections have been suspended, things are going to get ugly soon I think.

Here in Birmingham only the main roads have had the rubbish collected. We are just off a main road and the bags of rubbish have now been out for 2 nights despite gritters going back and forth 3 times last night, 5 times the night before.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Good grief, I knew it was going to be very cold still, but the Met Office are suggesting that the temperatures could get as low as minus 14*C in the West Midlands tonight. Wow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Here in Birmingham only the main roads have had the rubbish collected. We are just off a main road and the bags of rubbish have now been out for 2 nights despite gritters going back and forth 3 times last night, 5 times the night before.

Don't talk to me about bins... We haven't had ours collected since Christmas eve and they didn't come today and looks like we will have to wait till next Thursday again. Everybody in our street has wheelie bins to put rubbish in but everyones has filled up and most people have 3-5 black bags full of rubbish next to their bins lol. If they have to wait another week the dustbin men are going to be working their asses off to get it all cleared!

Posted

Exactly the same here. The main road has had theirs collected, but the little roads like mine (which are plastered in snow and ice) are pretty much inaccessable to a big truck.