Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

Ive drove around quite abit over the last 48 hours and the roads are mainly ok - yes slippy and you need to take care but imho - its abit of a joke why so many people took the day off yesterday (schools closing is an easy way out!).......I live on higher ground (750ft) with steep sloping roads all around but you can get around no problem........on level roads its fine.

If anything yesterday was fine with the snow - this morning with the ice layer was probably more tricky............

Pavements are slippy but its overhyped in this area - I would say the West Midlands is one of the least affected areas in England.........

Wait until the fun and games on the weekend - that potentially could be alot more severe for us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

LOL not had the bins collected here since about 17th of December :good:

Piles of rubbish, they arent coming today because the road is so icy and we live on a gradient. They won't be coming till next week now at the earliest and that means it will be the first bin collection in 4 weeks if they do come next week :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
:good: completely fell over on iced over slush on way to town, okay though, great to see potential upgrades, snow possible sat-tues, dont know temp at moment, but surely an ice day, after a min of -8.7C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

:good: completely fell over on iced over slush on way to town, okay though, great to see potential upgrades, snow possible sat-tues, dont know temp at moment, but surely an ice day, after a min of -8.7C

Temperature -2.4c here, still rapidly rising though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

on the slide now here....a maximum of -1.5C around 30 minutes ago, has dropped to -1.8C currently

Posted

if skies remain clear, I reckon a colder night tonight, maybe a snow flurry tonight

Posted

if skies remain clear, I reckon a colder night tonight, maybe a snow flurry tonight

Well on the BBC forecasts it shows an area of snow showers over us early tomorrow morning, yet they don't even talk about it once. Very strange. Hopefully sub -10c again tonight, shall I be greedy and hope for a -11c...

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Yes, temperatures should start falling again now as the sun gets low in the sky.

I'm surprised theres not more snow in the east. Away from North Yorkshire, there doesn't seem to be much activity.

Keep the cloud way over there I say so we can see how cold we can get again tonight! (Last chance for now as i expect the next couple of nights after tonight to be cloudier and breezier)

Posted

Looks to have maxed out at -2.4c, which would be my coldest maximum ever, beating -2.2c set last January.

Posted

Just spoken to m mother who ,live just outside Broadway in worcestershire - she claims to have between 30- 40 cm level of snow.... Seems a huge amount to me

Posted

Looks to have maxed out at -2.4c, which would be my coldest maximum ever, beating -2.2c set last January.

I started recording my temps 1 Dec 04, my lowest ever minimum today -8.7C, lowest max -2.2C Jan 6th 2009, maybe today lower

Posted

I started recording my temps 1 Dec 04, my lowest ever minimum today -8.7C, lowest max -2.2C Jan 6th 2009, maybe today lower

Strangely enough I started recording in Dec 2004, and my lowest max is the same and on the same date as yours! As I said earlier I smashed my lowest min record with -10.1c, and there is a very real possibility of beating it again tonight. The 3pm News 24 forecast showed -12c for Manchester, absolutely astonishing. Also an area of snow showers moving into the north Midlands for dawn, something to watch perhaps?

Edit: Risen now to -2.2c, equalling my lowest max record.

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Got down to -8.5c here last night.

Current temp -1.9c

I really hope we don't get any more snow until friday night, I have to go to visit my mother tomorrow. I was supposed to go on wednesday but Mum phone me and said it had been on local radio that the bus from Hinckley to Mkt Harborough had got stuck in the snow. It obviously carried on its usual route round the villages :oops: instead of sticking to the main roads.

Come Friday night I'll welcome a blizzard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Barely got above minus 3 c in the Evesham area today. I think tonight will be even colder in our area ,last night I recorded minus 12.4c I think we might see a minus 15c ,already minus 3 @3.20 and falling fast under clear skies and no wind! :oops:

Posted

Continuing to rise at a fair pace, -2.0c now.

Posted

Continuing to rise at a fair pace, -2.0c now.

strange, thought it would be falling, but wind seems to have picked up a bit. The snow showers tonight/early tomorrow seem a little too far NW, but may clip one

Posted

Strange, looked out the window and it's snowing here quite well despite there not being anything on the radar.

I've noticed that there is a couple of heavy looking showers coming down through the wash with NN postcode name written all over them, but looks like when they cross the Cambs-Northants border they just fizzle out to nothing.

Not looking like Northants will see anything till Sunday-Monday.

Posted

strange, thought it would be falling, but wind seems to have picked up a bit. The snow showers tonight/early tomorrow seem a little too far NW, but may clip one

Looks like it has definitely maxed at -2.0c, my little weather station is showing a temp decrease now at -2.4c. Bitterly cold night ahead.

Posted

Down to -6.6C here last night but gizmo is right by house. Beautiful clear skies and a max today of -2.0C-comfortably an ice day. Temp now dropped to -3.1C here and falling. The snow is very powdery now due to the frost sucking the moisture out of it.

Dont really want any snow tonight because it will just increase temps. Hold on, what am i saying?!

No word of a lie there has been next to NO snow melt today despite solid sunshine from 9am-3.30pm.

Fantastic winter weather.

Edited by Albion Snowman

Posted

Some Activity brewing in the wash.........shok.gif And heading this way.

Lets hope they can make it over the Cambs-Northants border.laugh.gif

I've been keeping an eye on the wash since last night and it keeps disappointing.

Though it does seem more promising at the moment.

Posted

I've been keeping an eye on the wash since last night and it keeps disappointing.

Though it does seem more promising at the moment.

They are fizzling out again. laugh.gif

post-9498-12628799084452_thumb.png