Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

poor kids! having to eat packed lunches in this cold weather. unsure.gif

radio hereford and worcester have got the full weather forecast after this next song! let ya know what they say drinks.gif

What did they have to say?

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Doesn't look like those showers are pushing too far inland at the moment; think I'll focus on the setup for Sunday. Is it just me or does it look very borderline at the moment? Although the 850 temps are showing as -10c, the 528 DAM line is pushed to our west - or doesn't the 528 DAM line make much difference with the 850 temps at -10c?

Posted

It is, and this is the risk. The ppn you see is linked to this feature.

As it moves south, it pulls in a more northerly feed.

It should be pulled inland more by this afternoon, I think the BBC's weather maps indicate an easterly wind by this afternoon?

Posted

Already seen 2 snow showers here this morning, well inland.

Forecast looking very promising for today, tommorow and the weekend!

Posted

sunday certainly wont be marginal 850s surface temps and dew points will all be fine for here. Could be a very good day for many. As for today i wouldnt even begin to comment on what the radar shows until 1ish. Id be suprised if we dnt see at least a shower although hopefully 2-5cms as the bbc have said all morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

sunday certainly wont be marginal 850s surface temps and dew points will all be fine for here. Could be a very good day for many. As for today i wouldnt even begin to comment on what the radar shows until 1ish. Id be suprised if we dnt see at least a shower although hopefully 2-5cms as the bbc have said all morning.

wont be marginal, but still feel with the high so close, ppn will be very light, snow grains maybe, convective activity wont be great with that high over Scotland, but wrong hopefully

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Showers pepping upto the East, i wonder how far they will get in land ?.

The centre of the low pressure area just off the Norfolk coast at present seems to be tracking south-westwards at the moment, according to the METO radar, so that will presumably bring showers further inland as it progresses.

Posted

I wouldnt worry too much about the GFS ppn forecasts. Generally, it doesn't seem to build ppn amounts until <T+24, which are still not particularly accurate.

Personally, I prefer the UKMO for ppn forecasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Hi all, just got inside from post office run and dog run in the park. Im in sloooooooow mo- my hands are like a robot's with a hydraulic press for movement. Still shivering and my downstairs says 12C on the thermostat! cold.gif

I just finished watching the BBC weather forcast and it looks like they predict that low off E. Anglia to push some VERY NEEDED snow showers to my area (more so than last night) I was so excited and ran upstairs to check out the 06z GFS only to see 0% snow for today!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF??? who do I believe? BBC (who I want to believe since I live my entire life in hope for good weather- whether it be super storms or snow) or the GFS, which I usually have more faith in.. hmmm dry.gif

I really hope we get some snow here in Nottingham. I am willinging to do a snow dance if I only knew howpardon.gif

Posted

Another heavy snow shower passing through here now... these showers are moving through very quickly which is enabling them to push a good way inland and it's only 10.45! Looking very promising for eastern counties today, expecting several centimetres fresh snow by the end of the day.

Posted

Hi all, just got inside from post office run and dog run in the park. Im in sloooooooow mo- my hands are like a robot's with a hydraulic press for movement. Still shivering and my downstairs says 12C on the thermostat! cold.gif

I just finished watching the BBC weather forcast and it looks like they predict that low off E. Anglia to push some VERY NEEDED snow showers to my area (more so than last night) I was so excited and ran upstairs to check out the 06z GFS only to see 0% snow for today!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF??? who do I believe? BBC (who I want to believe since I live my entire life in hope for good weather- whether it be super storms or snow) or the GFS, which I usually have more faith in.. hmmm dry.gif

I really hope we get some snow here in Nottingham. I am willinging to do a snow dance if I only knew howpardon.gif

I know what you mean about much needed snow, though its going to make the sheet ice in Nottingham much worse when the fresh snow compacts. We are up to 3 broken wrists and a bruised hip, 2 cars in ditches and one crash from folks in our office on Sherwood Rise

so the down side is mounting up with this cold spell...

I'm heading back to London at lunchtime could be a fun drive....

Cheers

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

I know what you mean about much needed snow, though its going to make the sheet ice in Nottingham much worse when the fresh snow compacts. We are up to 3 broken wrists and a bruised hip, 2 cars in ditches and one crash from folks in our office on Sherwood Rise

so the down side is mounting up with this cold spell...

I'm heading back to London at lunchtime could be a fun drive....

Cheers

FC

Be careful!!! My other half is working in Dover and is due to come home tomorrow evening! Thats should be "fun".. Its so slippy out there, you are right- the compact snow on the pavements makes it feel like you are walking on satin! lol!! Its easy for me to want snow though cuz i work from homw (albeit, Im not doing very well this week being glued to the computer when I should be swinging my hammer and making my orders! lol)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Done some of my paper round, come back to fill the trolley and have a much needed bacon sarnie and a cup of tea :whistling:

Bitterly cold out there, still -6.3c, I think an ice day is nailed on. Those who are west of Birmingham and hoping for showers, you are chasing a lost cause, they will struggle to reach the east Midlands, let alone west.

Sunday looks like prolonged but light snow, but with snow already on the ground it should settle easily.

Posted

Very heavy snow falling here now... heaviest I've seen during this cold period!

Huge flakes and very poor visibility! :whistling:

Edited by Polar Low

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Updated BBC maps on the BBC news dont look right. They barely show any snow graphics now???

Posted

I really hope we get some snow here in Nottingham. I am willinging to do a snow dance if I only knew how:pardon:

Well, looking at the radar, your wish my come true! A shower has managed to not break up on its way from Hull, is now over Newark on Trent - and if Polar Low's post is anything to go by, at least it should be fun! :(

Posted

Very heavy snow falling here now... heaviest I've seen during this cold period!

Huge flakes and very poor visibility! biggrin.gif

That line is heading straight for me but its deteriorating!!! I hope I get something out of it!!! Easterly showers ALWAYS do that to me! They look all beefy, and then as soon as they come to NG5, they either break in 2 and go on either side of me, or disintegrate into nothingness cray.gif I should at least get a few flurries out of this one!!! C'mon PLEASE!!!!

Posted

Updated BBC maps on the BBC news dont look right. They barely show any snow graphics now???

What on the BBC news? I saw it at 10am and the graphics looked very promising for E. Mids, are they changed now? GFS has NOTHING, NATTA, ZIP for snow forcast here, yet there are showers coming towards us cc_confused.gif

Posted

What on the BBC news? I saw it at 10am and the graphics looked very promising for E. Mids, are they changed now? GFS has NOTHING, NATTA, ZIP for snow forcast here, yet there are showers coming towards us cc_confused.gif

Yeah they will be on the site soon. There was even rain just off the coast of scotland and rain on the coast of wales and SW England when they are having snow???

Posted

Well, looking at the radar, your wish my come true! A shower has managed to not break up on its way from Hull, is now over Newark on Trent - and if Polar Low's post is anything to go by, at least it should be fun! pardon.gif

fingers crossed- heres the latest picture on radar- its broken up a lot (must be Nottingaphobic) but might squeeze some out of it!

DAMMIT! Its gone east of me!! wallbash.gif

post-8050-12628625896852_thumb.png

post-8050-12628628032552_thumb.jpg

Posted

fingers crossed- heres the latest picture on radar- its broken up a lot (must be Nottingaphobic) but might squeeze some out of it!

DAMMIT! Its gone east of me!! wallbash.gif

Oh God, just looked at the Rain Today radar and it really has broken up around Newark! :lol:

Still, it just goes to show that the snowshield I bought on eBay must work! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Chance of some snow flurries tomorrow, probably moreso towards evening. Sunday is still pretty much unknown regarding how much snow will affect the west Midlands. But however much we do get, it'll settle quickly on icy surfaces.

Just looking outside and it is a truly beautiful winter's day. Pure blue sky, sub-zero temps and still alot of snowcover. Couldn't have asked for more, really.

As pretty as snow and ice looks, I long for mild weather ASAP from a work point of view...I've lost 4 consecutive days now, and from what started as a nice day off to throw a few snowballs, to a potential financial disaster!...Ice & snow may look pretty, but dont put food on the table or pay the bills :(

Posted

Im coming up to Birmingham to watch the United game on Saturday, Whats the chance of this being called off? Is North Birmigham forecast any snow?

Posted

As pretty as snow and ice looks, I long for mild weather ASAP from a work point of view...I've lost 4 consecutive days now, and from what started as a nice day off to throw a few snowballs, to a potential financial disaster!...Ice & snow may look pretty, but dont put food on the table or pay the bills sad.gif

Good post!!!

I've got this week off but if sunday and monday's weather come off.........No work, no pay! and with councils ''running '' out of salt, God help anybody who drives for a living.

still no signs of any mild weather.

Edited by Lancs_Northants