Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Our shiny new chat room is now open here

Do come and join!

See here for more info:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Mentally cold out there, apperantly -3.7 but with the wind chill it feels like -10. Just put the bins out but I dont know if they will be collecting them tomorrow, hope they do because the last time they collected them was before christmas and we have piles of rubbish now! The latch on the gate was frozen solid and i had to get a hammer on it to open it and the bins were literally frozen to the floor, i had to yank them off the ground to move them :)

Posted

Mentally cold out there, apperantly -3.7 but with the wind chill it feels like -10. Just put the bins out but I dont know if they will be collecting them tomorrow, hope they do because the last time they collected them was before christmas and we have piles of rubbish now! The latch on the gate was frozen solid and i had to get a hammer on it to open it and the bins were literally frozen to the floor, i had to yank them off the ground to move them :rofl:

Yes they should be round some time tomorrow, i heard it mentioned on radio a while ago, they said just put them out tonight and they should be round to collect at some point tomorrow, a lot of their vans hydrolics failed due to the cold so haven`t been out yet.

Posted

Mentally cold out there, apperantly -3.7 but with the wind chill it feels like -10. Just put the bins out but I dont know if they will be collecting them tomorrow, hope they do because the last time they collected them was before christmas and we have piles of rubbish now! The latch on the gate was frozen solid and i had to get a hammer on it to open it and the bins were literally frozen to the floor, i had to yank them off the ground to move them laugh.gif

Crikey Andy!!!! hammers on gate latches!!! bins frozen!!! bin lids probably frozen!!!! even if they do get round to collect them they will have to warm them up to open them lol!!!!!!!

V. cold here but not checked the temp! sooooooooo not looking forward to trecking to work tomorrow, snow is fun, but ice is horrid, got a lift home tonight and had to take little baby steps for the bit that I did walk which then took twice as long as usual and I nearly went over twice lol!!!!!!!pardon.gif

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

-4.7c here, do wish the local roads would clear as it's going to be a pain getting to work tomorrow but no chance of that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

lol, we were only ever sent home from school once and that was that big blizzard in 1986, i remember walking across the fields in the morning with some mates, it was so so cold, even though we had full thermals gloves,scarfs,moon boots, thick duffle coats and wooley bobble hat with ear muffs, everything froze and it really really HURTS!

If i remember the temps had got down to about -18'c and when we were walking to school it was still about -12'c and the wind was blowing the snow into our faces like little pins, that bloody hurt too.

so after walking the 2 miles through town and then across 1/2 mile of playing fields with the snow over one and a half feet deep, that was fun in it's self coz you had to 'lift' your leg up to get it high enough to clear the snow,(i was only 9), eventually we got to school and started to thaw out on the corridor.

shortly, one of the few teachers that had also got in came to us and said that they'd have to shut the school coz the water pipes had frozen and the heating had packed up, so they got us all dressed back up and wrapped us snugly and sent us back home again lol! they didn't worry about health and saftey and stuff in them days and just made sure we were warm enough, so off we all went (there were 4 of us) back across the playing fields following the same tracks that we'd made walking in so it was a little easier.

I remember thinking "it's too cold to play out...I just wanna get home into the warm".

Got home after a while and got that horrible 'hot aches' thing that i haven't had for years, it made me cry.

That afternoon no-one went out to play, the cold was just soooooo bad.

I remember that winter, I was 12! I got to school after a painfully long bus journey and our heating had broken. So we sat in the hall in our coats for an hour before they decided to boot us out. By that time there were no buses running so I had a very long and cold walk home.

Funnily enough my son had the 'hot aches' thing after playing out in the snow this afternoon LOL!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

when the next heavy snow event for the midlands?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Risen to -4.0c for reasons unknown!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Risen to -4.0c for reasons unknown!

-5.3C mine, very promising 9.55 weather from jay wynne, looked great for weekend, showers seemed to make it here on saturday, Sunday snow everywhere up to N England, but could change

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

My garden is now at -6.8. I can't wait to see what the overnight minima is going to be!! I went out into the garden for a few minutes and it's bloody cold. I'm now sipping a scotch to warm up!

Posted

Ah now here we go, my little weather station is saying -5.4c and my 10:18pm update on my weather station website says -4.3c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Ah now here we go, my little weather station is saying -5.4c and my 10:18pm update on my weather station website says -4.3c

I still think easterly is upgrading even now into next week, could well see snow most days sun-wed although looks mainly light

-5.5C now

Posted

Temperature has fallen rapidly here, now -6.1c, nearly at my lowest recorded temperature this winter which was -6.5c

Posted

-15c in Bury!

Posted

Hmm, possibility of more snow over the weekend then? Bound to change though, Northampton is in one of those really awkward spots of the country...

Got 3-4 inches outside my house due to last nights snow. Extra few cms thanks to the heavy periods earlier today.

Not looking forward to de-icing my car tomorrow. My doors seem to freeze shut!

Edited by Macey

Posted

considering thats 5 miles from Bolton i'd say my family members up there will be in bed with their socks on.laugh.gif

It was actually Woodford, which isn't far from Bury I don't think, but look at this:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/woodford_latest_weather.html

That is insane! Meanwhile, my temperature is absolutely bombing again, -5.3c on the main weather station, -6.1c on the cheaper one.

Posted

It was actually Woodford, which isn't far from Bury I don't think, but look at this:

http://www.metoffice...st_weather.html

That is insane! Meanwhile, my temperature is absolutely bombing again, -5.3c on the main weather station, -6.1c on the cheaper one.

Bitter all over at the mo.cold.gifcold.gif