Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

-4.6C now, no cloud here,

None here either, strange. Should hopefully plummet again during the early hours, most of my minimums occur at around 7/8am for some reason.

With my school shut again tomorrow I will be able to do my paper round first thing in the morning, will have to wrap up very warm by the looks of it!

Posted

Can anyone tell me how I can show my location and altitude??? Have looked at edit profile and just cannot see how to do it. Thanks in advance!

I think this should work...

http://forum.netweather.tv/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=members&area=profileinfo

Scroll down to the location box and type away :unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Well I am in a pretty elevated location it always drops quickly here, prob see the -10C tonight though. Also snowing very lightly.

Where are you?

Posted

I see Bridgnorth showing -7C too now, and thats lower lying by the river.

Looks like the Peak District has nailed the precip, although some light stuff may filter through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

None here either, strange. Should hopefully plummet again during the early hours, most of my minimums occur at around 7/8am for some reason.

With my school shut again tomorrow I will be able to do my paper round first thing in the morning, will have to wrap up very warm by the looks of it!

my minimum on a full clear night around then as well, anytime of year just before sunrise

my former school shut today aswell

Posted

Thanks Nick, how did I miss that! lol

Must refrain from making Wolves fan joke :unknw::yahoo:

No problemo.

Posted

Yeah, I've seen them around here aswell! It gives it that 'The Day After Tomorrow' effect. :D Anyway, nearly reached dead on -6C. My -8C minimum temp prediction for Birmingham is close to being nailed. :(

We just need to hope that there is no cloud cover for us in the next few hours. To be honest, I don't think -10C is out of the question here in Birmingham as long as it stays clear.

I would think the coldest spot in the Midlands might get a -12C tonight. It is already -10C in Benson, oxfordshire...a notorious frost hollow

Posted

Hi All!!!!

Wow, what a day!!!! though I did end up going to work :drinks: Very very icy out there now so a treacherous walk to the bus stop in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!

What I want to know is, is there going to be another big event? At the beginning of the week there was talk of a huge chunk of snow coming down from the north, but on latest forecasts they don't seem to be saying anything. Any ideas anyone?!!!!

Posted

Haven't look at out temp recently as i'd have to go up the garden and we're having trouble enough as it is with our heating still bust.

bloody coal is £6.00 a bag now!!! and only last just over a day for one room!!!

I think -10'c will be easily acheivable over large areas of the midlands tonight, shame there is still a bit of a breeze or they may be even lower.

for the coldest temperatures that we can record in the midlands we really need a nice clodless high pressure over us with deep snowcover and no wind, that would get our temps near -20'c like in nuneaton in 1981 we got to -25'C

Also being in a big valley will help.

Posted

Hi All!!!!

Wow, what a day!!!! though I did end up going to work :drinks: Very very icy out there now so a treacherous walk to the bus stop in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!

What I want to know is, is there going to be another big event? At the beginning of the week there was talk of a huge chunk of snow coming down from the north, but on latest forecasts they don't seem to be saying anything. Any ideas anyone?!!!!

there looks to be something of a snowfall for sunday (or thereabouts) but details are sketchy, we'll know more by tomorrow.

Posted

there looks to be something of a snowfall for sunday (or thereabouts) but details are sketchy, we'll know more by tomorrow.

Thanks for that!!!! i have had a look at the chart which was showing stuff for friday night and saturday, but I just don't know how much I trust!!!! lol!!!!!

What I would really like is more snow RIGHT NOW!!!! lol!!!!!!!! Although, that said, it's so pretty, but going to work in it is a nightmare, especially when it ices over!!!!!!

Posted

helloooo! just back from work! the main roads were fine at 13:00 but we had a hell of a problem getting out of the minor roads! a few strangers came to help us push the car! finally got to work and were mucking around chucking snowballs out in the garden at break times! laugh.gif . anyway finished work at 20:00. hubby was collecting me from work b ut he phoned at 19:50 saying he had got stuck again along hopyard lane where we live! it took him another 25 mins to get to me because the ice was treacherous on the roads! We struggled along the icy roads and our snowy lane to get back home and nearly slid onto someone elses garden getting into our drive! laugh.gif

anyway back safe and sound now with a nice glass of wine celebrating the brilliant snow event for the midlands! sam is celebrating in his room cause he has just found out that he has another day off school tomorrow. me? not so much wacko.gif

Posted

Re NorthantsSnow : 'Here's how I'm expecting the situation to evolve over the next few hours. Remaining dry across Northamptonshire for the next few hours with winds beginning to pick up from the NE. As we head into Wednesday, shortly after midnight some heavy snow will push up from the south engulfing the south and west of the county in particular. I would expect 2-3 inches in places as we go through the night particularly across Northampton, Towcester, Brackley and Daventry. Further north and east, the likes of Kettering and Corby will likely be too far north and east to benefit from this band and as such will remain dry. Later in the morning, another front will feed in and this could bring another inch of snow to many parts of the county including spots further north and east which will have avoided much of tonight's snowfall.'

Damm good call mate... pretty much spot on. Didn't see anything from the southerly ppn here in Kettering as it swung west of us last minute. Had the later morning flurries too.

Temps plummeting -4.9°C and wind chill -11°C.

Edited by lobbox

Posted

lol, we were only ever sent home from school once and that was that big blizzard in 1986, i remember walking across the fields in the morning with some mates, it was so so cold, even though we had full thermals gloves,scarfs,moon boots, thick duffle coats and wooley bobble hat with ear muffs, everything froze and it really really HURTS!

If i remember the temps had got down to about -18'c and when we were walking to school it was still about -12'c and the wind was blowing the snow into our faces like little pins, that bloody hurt too.

so after walking the 2 miles through town and then across 1/2 mile of playing fields with the snow over one and a half feet deep, that was fun in it's self coz you had to 'lift' your leg up to get it high enough to clear the snow,(i was only 9), eventually we got to school and started to thaw out on the corridor.

shortly, one of the few teachers that had also got in came to us and said that they'd have to shut the school coz the water pipes had frozen and the heating had packed up, so they got us all dressed back up and wrapped us snugly and sent us back home again lol! they didn't worry about health and saftey and stuff in them days and just made sure we were warm enough, so off we all went (there were 4 of us) back across the playing fields following the same tracks that we'd made walking in so it was a little easier.

I remember thinking "it's too cold to play out...I just wanna get home into the warm".

Got home after a while and got that horrible 'hot aches' thing that i haven't had for years, it made me cry.

That afternoon no-one went out to play, the cold was just soooooo bad.