Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Birmingham record low is -12c, doubt this will be breached IMO.

Currently -8C in coleshill :nonono:

God knows how cold valleys areas away from people will be tonight in the midlands :o

If anybody can pop out with a thermometer tonight in a nearby valley i would love to hear what you record i would go myself but have to goto bed for work.

Posted

Birmingham record low is -12c, doubt this will be breached IMO.

-12'c??! is that all? surely it must have recorded a colder temp than that? where is the weather station based at?

wiki has it at -20.8'c

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Yeah, just seen the -13C and -15C recordings. Truly cold out there in some parts on England. Just observed some patchy cloud here and there, which hopefully won't build because Birmingham could break some of its own records. Not actually sure what the coldest temp ever recorded for here is, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Edgbaston, which is south west of the city, recorded -12C many years back during another cold spell.

Ah, it was 1982 that that temp was recorded. Near B'ham Airport, a temp of -20C was recorded, while -12.9C was recorded in Edgbaston.

Pahh... thats positively mild for the Midlands.... :nonono:

With snow cover, some remarkably low temperatures have been recorded, such as -25.2 °C at Shawbury, Shropshire on 13 December 1981 and -26.1 °C at Newport, Shropshire on 10 January 1982. This value at Newport is the lowest ever recorded in England.

that was the night the water pump froze on my car and the next door neighbours toilet waste pipe froze.

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

-12'c??! is that all? surely it must have recorded a colder temp than that? where is the weather station based at?

Me too???

Shawbury in Shropshire recorded -26C in 1981.........................

So birmingham would have been at least -20ish id have thought on the same night back then............

Posted

wiki has it at -20.8'c

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Birmingham

That exact same website is where I got my -12c from...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham#Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

i had-6C and 10cm of snow at 10pm in Nuneaton.

Still -15c in Benson,Oxford.

This looks favourite loc.for lowest tonight at mo.

Posted

Yes yes yes... my freezer is -20C. It keeps my fish fingers fresh as the day Captain Birdseye shat them.

Anyway, shower activity has really picked up around Lincs and the Wash in the past hour. These are spreading inland, which is good to see.

Posted

Intersting Met Office article about the midlands climate from where I got the record minimum from...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/mi/print.html

Posted

Me too???

Shawbury in Shropshire recorded -26C in 1981.........................

So birmingham would have been at least -20ish id have thought on the same night back then............

Shawbury can be 5C colder than the centre of Shrewsbury on winter nights; I'd think it could easily be 10C colder than the middle of Birmingham. Birmingham airport can't really be accurate for the city centre (or Walsall/West Brom/Dudley etc) as it's quite a bit lower and semi-rural; I'd imagine it's often colder but gets less snow than somewhere like Sedgley or Barr Beacon.

Posted

Benson is down to -15c incredibly.

Posted

http://www.metoffice.com/corporate/pressoffice/2010/pr20100106b.html

Haha, looks like the metoffice are covering their own back in regards to climate change. They obviously know people are having their doubts about it since this cold snap and are trying to reassure people that their overhyped media Por.n is correct. I've translated the article for anyone who is a little confused 'GW is still on, SO GIVE US YOUR MONEY IN TAXES PLEASE'

Posted

I'll keep talking to myself then. Those showers are definately working inland into the East Midlands.

My sausage is bigger and colder than your sausage. In fact the sausage is not far off a record sausage, but not quite, because next door has a record sausage from 1963.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

Edgbaston, the area which recorded the -12.9C temperature is just outside the city. Birmingham airport recorded -20C on the same night. The main weather station is situated in Coleshill, which is just a few miles south east of here.

I think people need reminding that Birmingham is a large city, not miles and miles of hills and countryside.

It's just amazing that it could be 7'c higher in the city centre, but i suppose brum is on a hill too, which wouldn't help.

http://www.metoffice.com/corporate/pressoffice/2010/pr20100106b.html

Haha, looks like the metoffice are covering their own back in regards to climate change. They obviously know people are having their doubts about it since this cold snap and are trying to reassure people that their overhyped media Por.n is correct. I've translated the article for anyone who is a little confused 'GW is still on, SO GIVE US YOUR MONEY IN TAXES PLEASE'

I haven't heard of abnormally warm temps across southern europe? in fact they've been saying it's alot colder of recent?

I the met office run by the devil or summut? they cannot stand cold weather

Posted

Yes yes yes... my freezer is -20C. It keeps my fish fingers fresh as the day Captain Birdseye shat them.

This is quite possibly the funniest thing I've seen on this thread so far! :rofl:

But it's still no match for the -80 freezers I use as part of my degree! :cold:

Posted

I'll keep talking to myself then. Those showers are definately working inland into the East Midlands.

My sausage is bigger and colder than your sausage. In fact the sausage is not far off a record sausage, but not quite, because next door has a record sausage from 1963.

Noticed that myself, worth a cursory glance now and then....especially whats following behind it.

Edited by lobbox

Posted

This is quite possibly the funniest thing I've seen on this thread so far! :rofl:

But it's still no match for the -80 freezers I use as part of my degree! :cold:

OMG!!!! what are you freezing? you do know Ernest Shakleton's already frozen? bet he'd make good fish fingers :rofl:

Posted

Noticed myself, worth a cursory glance now and then....

the wind seems to have veered a bit more northeasterly as opposed to NN/E which must be allowing the little bugger further inland.

Posted

Its -4C, its -5C and -7C. Its SNOWING here. Cheers!

Those showers ARE getting inland!

Edit: I did a little wee and fart and the temperature shot up by at least 1C.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

http://www.metoffice...r20100106b.html

Saw that myself earlier, they cannot go one article without bringing it up!

Posted

OMG!!!! what are you freezing? you do know Ernest Shakleton's already frozen? bet he'd make good fish fingers :D

Once it gets to -80 you cease to notice a difference! I have taken stuff out of there in bare hands before, slightly regret carrying them back to the lab without an ice bucket because it was SO COLD! :good:

Posted

Shot up to -6C now. Not sure what would have caused that to happen. Maybe perhaps the cloud which went through earlier, or if the breeze picked up a little.

OMG it's global warming I tell you....run for the hills or we'll soon be swamped by the water from melting glaciers!!!! :good:

Posted

I'm going to start quoting temperatures in Kelvin, just to keep people on their toes. Daily Express headline tomorrow "Absolute Zero reached in someones back garden".

Edited by mackerel sky