Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

kingsthorpe hollow

Thanks for your reply, there is another chap in your location, cant recall his name though, i am in Far cotton, welcome to net-weather anyway ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Can't see many blokes lining up to join that club, can you? whistling.gifpardon.gif

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

I'll have to rename that! whistling.gif

The snow this weekend will be from frontal precip bands as well as showers for parts of the north east, east and south east. I think it is quite likely we will all see some snowfall between Sunday and Monday, more specifically Sunday night and into and during Monday. How much we can't be sure about until around Saturday. If anyone has got under an inch of snowfall from the recent snowfalls across the Midlands then I think they have been very unlucky. In contrast I would say I have been pretty lucky.

On Tuesday morning when snowbands were pushing south east, one of the bands at the end of the long line of them hit north Birmingham giving 1.5-2" falls. A few miles further north there was a gap of around 20-30miles. I would have cried if north Birmingham fell into that gap...but it didn't. Then further moderate snowfall during the afternoon from some slowly intensifying snow, which were showery in nature. Then came the evening, a time when I also consider myself lucky in terms of how much more snow fell as the precip was just pivoting around this region. This resulted in 1.5-2" of fresh snowfall making that 3-4" in total during that day.

I think it's likely you will see snow this weekend. I'm confident I'll see some snow as will most of the west Midlands, just how much is uncertain.

hey thanks for that! Great reply! smile.gif

There will most likely be several attempts before the Atlantic wins , but with it being an el nino season , known for it's cold late winter in Northern Europe , expect the mild to be temp maybe lasting a week and then a reload patten likely to take us into Feb . The models won't pick up on this for a couple of weeks yet .

i do wander if these models factor in how difficult it can be to disperse such a large pool of cold air. as what we are experiencing only happens once every 10 years , i doubt the models can cope with this , with the likes of gfs 06z and 12z being so different .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

It is in east northants

ok we probably got about 4-5 inches in December.

I think this cold spell will come good for us in the east mids soon though, we normally do well from easterly winds.

acute.gif ahh, thats cheating a bit!! lol!!!! Was it part of this cold spell?? We got about 1/2" in Dec. Really nice band from the Cheshire Gap- totally unexpected too!! It was the pinnacle of this cold spell for me so far hahaha! how desperately sad.... I deffo will stop moaning if I get 4" of the white stuff before this cold spell breaks. laugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I've had 1-2inches ny the way,still alot lying but not on many roads

bbc weather looked good, maybe snow showers first thing tomorrow, mainly in the NW midlands, still got lots of snow here in some places

Posted

Excellent, we caught a pretty decent shower and there's probably an extra 2cm nowyahoo.gif

Still snowing and the roads and cars are completely white again.

Well deserved too!!!! That will be the shortest membership for The Snow Challenged Club! (thought it sounded better than the less Than 2" Clubwub.gif )

Posted

Snow cover before new years, Zero.

Current snow cover, just under an inch, or 22mm. is that it for the snow?, ive heard talk of a milder breakdown in the middle of next week with warm/mild stuff coming in from the south west ( souds like a return the usual winter.

Local road conditions: mostly clear, although some minor roads have got a veneer of compacted snow and ice.

Our latest new member to the Snow Challenged Club folkes! Might get some this week-end. BBC news graphics look promising so far

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I'd like some cloud please.

It's treacherous taking the children to school in this ice.

AND it's very cold for my rabbits out in the shed!

Posted

....+sigh+....... still waiting for one of these snow showers to pass by me whistling.gif

Ive had near misses like this all day.

post-8050-12628892864252_thumb.png

Posted

Our latest new member to the Snow Challenged Club folkes! Might get some this week-end. BBC news graphics look promising so far

Surely automatic membership goes to anyone within a 10 mile radius of Nottingham City Centre! :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/22

Not looking forwards to tomorra morning. -14c forecast here

Can anyone match it?

What would it need to consistantly to freeze the river

Why on earth would anyone want to look forward to -14C?? :cold: ....(unless you're a polar bear!)

Posted

acute.gif ahh, thats cheating a bit!! lol!!!! Was it part of this cold spell?? We got about 1/2" in Dec. Really nice band from the Cheshire Gap- totally unexpected too!! It was the pinnacle of this cold spell for me so far hahaha! how desperately sad.... I deffo will stop moaning if I get 4" of the white stuff before this cold spell breaks. laugh.gif

Na that was the spell before Christmas, that got rained away and thawed before this spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

first 7 days of Jan

avg max 0.4C

avg min -5.4C

avg min and max -2.5C

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted

i do wander if these models factor in how difficult it can be to disperse such a large pool of cold air. as what we are experiencing only happens once every 10 years , i doubt the models can cope with this , with the likes of gfs 06z and 12z being so different .

The models are never any good in this situation full stop. The main thing is the best part of this Cold spell looks like it is about to begin this being 3 days of constant Snowfall. For Sunday and Monday the 12z Op is a n outlier with regards to Precipitation with the Ensembles going for a much Snowier picture , and higher precipitation rates. All good things come to an end but lets not let this cloud the fact that the midlands is about to enter the Snowiest period of the year so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

....+sigh+....... still waiting for one of these snow showers to pass by me whistling.gif

Ive had near misses like this all day.

And Leicester :lol:

Posted

Excellent, we caught a pretty decent shower and there's probably an extra 2cm nowyahoo.gif

Still snowing and the roads and cars are completely white again.

yeah looks like a bit in wellingborough too... although i missed it lol

anymore coming

Posted

And Leicester rolleyes.gif

looking at the radar, you should be hit by one soon!

Posted

looking at the radar, you should be hit by one soon!

It's gunna die out before it gets here love, trust me :)

Posted

Na that was the spell before Christmas, that got rained away and thawed before this spell.

Hey welcome back on board then! The clubs name tags will be issued shortly followed by some refreshments clap.gif

It's gunna die out before it gets here love, trust me tongue.gif

That should be the quote for my signature lol! laugh.gif

Posted

That should be the quote for my signature lol! laugh.gif

Haha :) I am tracking it with the radar zoom too and the latest image shows it is about to die before it gets here. The LE3 snow shield is back in action :)