Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 17

Posted

Morning all, well what on earth happened ??

snow all around us during the night, or flurries, but none here, now it's foggy (or haar?) - looking at the cameras, nowhere else around us seems to be affected - is this like what you guys further south had yesterday and if so will it lift.

our temps actually went positive 0.5 around midnight and icicles (I don't think I've ever seen huge icicles on houses!) have been steadily dripping,

temps have been steadily dropping since midnight and now stand at -1.8c DP -2

not complaining, except sisters family coming for sleepover today/night purely to witness the sights, she's bringing her camera specially (better Am Tog than I) and now we've lost the view! Any views on what to expect later or is just nowcasting as ever

Posted

Morning everyone,

About a cm of new snow has fallen in Crail overnight - and judging by the radar perhaps more to come?

Been above freezing since midnight, current temp +0.5/-0.3 but snow is light and fluffy. With 850s forecast to dip to -12 later today I would be hoping any precip we get will stay as snow!

Posted

I seem to remember it snowed here on a few days before we had snowcover. I think the snowcover started on the 20th Dec, but that it had snowed at some point everyday from about the 18th Dec onwards. There have only been a handful of days since then that it hasn't snowed, yet we still only have 6-7 inches of cover, at a maximum!

:wacko:

Yes we had snow on the ground the previously here too..........but I was referring to continous days of snow on the ground and that was on the 18th Dec for us. We have had snow fall on at least 18 of those days, albeit somtimes only a cm.

Edited by Gilly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

started here now - dark to the east (where you are owl)

Its lovely Joe - enjoy!!! everything is completely recovered in white in only 15mins - great stuff!!!

(Owl - aka - Karen)

Oh and a wee story from my friend - she has milk delivered to her house in those old glass bottles- you know the ones we all used to get years ago - well when she went to her doorstep to collect said milk, one of the bottles had milk expanding/frozen! out of the top which had forced the lid off the bottle and the glass bottom had come off the bottle too but the milk was still inside frozen solid!! She had to microwave her milk so she could give the kids breakfast. ( luckily she had 3 pints delivered so didn't have to use the broken bottle) that morning it was -10 at 10am!

Posted

Its lovely Joe - enjoy!!! everything is completely recovered in white in only 15mins - great stuff!!!

(Owl - aka - Karen)

Oh and a wee story from my friend - she has milk delivered to her house in those old glass bottles- you know the ones we all used to get years ago - well when she went to her doorstep to collect said milk, one of the bottles had milk expanding/frozen! out of the top which had forced the lid off the bottle and the glass bottom had come off the bottle too but the milk was still inside frozen solid!! She had to microwave her milk so she could give the kids breakfast. ( luckily she had 3 pints delivered so didn't have to use the broken bottle) that morning it was -10 at 10am!

Yep, belting it down here now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Heaviest part of it slipping to our SE Joe (can see that on radar and traffic-cams). We're in line for the weakest part of this one. Typical but better than nowt I 'spose. :(

started here now - dark to the east (where you are owl)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Still fairly light here with the odd moderate pulse. There's a beefy shower heading right for me on the radar though!

Posted

Heaviest part of it slipping to our SE Joe (can see that on radar and traffic-cams). We're in line for the weakest part of this one. Typical but better than nowt I 'spose. :(

Fairly heavy here BT (Duddingston), been so for about 10 mins, car is covered again already

But yes, yellow echo's (as usual) heading SE

Could be an interesting morning tho looking at the satellite pics and its unexpected

Posted

Duddingston stealing Leiths snow.... AGAIN ! :ph34r::(

Fairly heavy here BT (Duddingston), been so for about 10 mins, car is covered again already

But yes, yellow echo's (as usual) heading SE

Could be an interesting morning tho looking at the satellite pics and its unexpected

Edit: light but steady snow on here now and to be honest (being a bit soppy here...) looking out the window its as "pretty" a snowfall as I've seen. Nice sized flakes, no wind, just perfect vertical descent to the ground.

Pity we're on the verge of leaving behind this solid cold and playing with marginality again over most of the week ahead, because this kind of stuff is just beautiful.

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Have woken up to yet another "barely an inch" covering of snow. Pretty impressive since the wee feature seems to have swept down from the far N/NE of Scotland; I'm not sure if I should be thanking Inverness or Aberdeen.

I think this is either the 20th or 21st or 22nd day in a row of snowcover. I can't remember. Let's just call it quits at 3 weeks :shok:

Edit: It has been snowing at -6C. I have never seen that before. Non-marginal snow :rofl:

Started snowing in Glasgow at about 2am. Websites I checked just before then were still registering -9C.

This mornings -4C is positively tropical.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard

Morning Catch.

Purposely haven't looked at any charts yet. Will wait till after the 06z before I take the plunge! :shok:

I'm not even going to wait for that to come out and am getting ready to go out and walk up to my parent's house with BoyCatch. Fresh powder snow, snowy scenes, some flakes falling from the cold grey sky and a few shivers to come. Does life get better than this when you are a snow addict?

Edit: this was the plan, still in the house 20 mins later :rofl:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Blimey, another inch overnight in Glasgow and it's still just -3.7°C - almost tropical! This is fantastic: it's snowing at will now!

In other news, re the Grand Match:

http://news.scotsman.com/news/Rebel-curlers-threaten-ice-invasion.5968791.jp :whistling:

Tuesday looks a nice day for it. :help:

Blimey, another inch overnight in Glasgow and it's still just -3.7°C - almost tropical! This is fantastic: it's snowing at will now!

In other news, re the Grand Match:

http://news.scotsman.com/news/Rebel-curlers-threaten-ice-invasion.5968791.jp :)

Tuesday looks a nice day for it. :)

Who would have thought that the rebellion would start with curlers. I just wonder what the police will do if this does go ahead. I expect a huge number of people (not necessarily just curlers) to descend there over the next few days, just to wind up the police!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

So how marginal are we expecting tmeps for next week - or is it still to early to tell - daren't look at the charts tday for fear of major disappointment of losing snow!

So how marginal are we expecting tmeps for next week - or is it still to early to tell - daren't look at the charts tday for fear of major disappointment of losing snow!

Don't despair snowy owl :) We might be taking some short-term slight thawing, but the longer term prospects are looking to offer a glimmer of happy days again. This thread is a good one to keep an eye on as the posters generally know what they are on about:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/57364-stratosphere-temperature-watch/page__st__290

I especially like BrickFielder's post #290 which ends with the line:

In simple words this looks like any relief from the cold spell towards the end of the week might be short lived.

That thread is well worth a read as it helps put light on the bigger picture. I don't claim to understand even half of it, but there you go :) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Don't think we are going to be affected SO. According to comments on Mod. thread, the threat is for the south westerners. They are also suggesting that somewhere will see a huge dumping of snow depending where the low ends up. At the moment though it doesn't look as if it will be far enough up to give us what we all want!

Snowing quite heavily here now!

Don't think we are going to be affected SO. According to comments on Mod. thread, the threat is for the south westerners. They are also suggesting that somewhere will see a huge dumping of snow depending where the low ends up. At the moment though it doesn't look as if it will be far enough up to give us what we all want!

:) At the last 5 words there!!!

I will see you all later as I am definitely offski outski nowski!!

Posted

Not looking forward to next week at all from a relatively coastal eastern point of view. Drizzle seems likely with a small diurnal range and general cloudiness. Never overly warm or overly cold. Should be better inland and further west.

At the moment the North Sea looks interesting/promising but I've had no more than one very light flurry from it so far.

Whereabouts is the fog Lady P? (I was also planning on nipping out to take a few photos of the Dee later!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Not sure really - sea modification is going to be a bit of a problem for coastal areas, with temperatures approaching 4-5C on the coast, though staying around 1-2C inland, and below freezing in western Scotland. However, with uppers still below -5, and with SSTS dropping away, perhaps we can avoid too much snow melt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Some fine snow / drizzle here just now, last night and overnight a couple of cms of snow made everything all postcard again.

Not been paying attention the last 2 days as our card decided to pack in !! Great timing :)

Posted

Morning all, just woke up to a nice fresh supply of snow once again :)

I am traveling to Dublin later today to visit family over there, I will be driving down to Stranraer to get the ferry then driving from Belfast into Dublin.

Can anyone tell what the roads and the weather will be like later this afternoon and evening?

Cheers :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Fog coming down the now...I'll be interested to see how-far inland that snowband out East gets??

Posted

That last shower did a good job at Leith level. Fresh coat of white gloss on everything.

Better enjoy it here, mushing/slushing here tomorrow methinks. Think most of Embra will hold onto most of it, expecting the Cramond-Silverknowes-Granton-Leith-Portobello coastal strip to take most of the immediate warming. The slacker the flow, the less the damage. Too much snow elsewhere in town to lose it that quickly, even flirting with forthcoming marginality. We held onto it in similar-ish circumstances a couple of weeks ago, so expect the same to happen this week.