Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 17

Posted

LOL LS ... when did the metoffice score even 1 in this spell ! laugh.gif

Edit: nothing heavy here but the activity is growing out of nothing on the radar. Anyone who can volunteer an explanation why that has happened so often ??? Is it reallly just lake effect type stuff ? Warm sea + cold air/cold land ???

It really does seem to be similar to Lake Effect that goes on in North America but maybe not on the same scale. I've noticed that its happened during this cold spell on at least 2 occasions when the 850 temps are at or approaching -10c. The last time it happened the direction was from the north but the same thing started to happen where the snow seemed to develop from nowhere as the wind direction started to change. Its strange but interesting to watch and obviously good to get surprise snowfall.

Posted

Just been outside (boiler problems) and the new snow on the ground looks like washing flakes (who remembers them?). Wierd stuff...

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

radar is going bonkers... auld reekie should be getting a right pasting by all accounts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

One things for sure its not fog here and its not snow either!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

there should be a topic purely for people living in sutherland!

Would there be anyone left? Maybe Caithness as well to allow at least someone on!

I do find it a bit odd considering the Western Isles and Shetland have been having a totally different weather experience from east central, though I do love the forum being all Scotland. I do wonder how the all Irish forum copes though - they've got the problem of being 2 separate nations as well!

Posted

One things for sure its not fog here and its not snow either!

It showed something simlar a few days aao when the cold front when over east central (with nothing) and then exploded 10 miles south of here in the uplands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

A BIOODY GOOD DUMPING!!!! laugh.gif

Good stuff Richard! Looking good for some more both here and in Aberdeen from all directions seemingly!

LS

Posted

To quote the earlier shipping forecast, I think the HP over Scotland is dying, thus wierd local weather occurences.

High Norway 1036, slow moving, intensifying 1042 by midday tomorrow. High Scotland 1031 losing its identity by same time

My bold..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Well despite the low twmps of the last couple of weeks and again tonight, -9.5 here at the moment, the GRand match has been cancelled this year. Bit of a shame really heard it was because the authorities couldn't guarantee the players safety. It could be another 25 or so years before they get the opportunity again. Would think they would have something in place safety wise.

SS2

Posted

Would there be anyone left? Maybe Caithness as well to allow at least someone on!

I do find it a bit odd considering the Western Isles and Shetland have been having a totally different weather experience from east central, though I do love the forum being all Scotland. I do wonder how the all Irish forum copes though - they've got the problem of being 2 separate nations as well!

ithink its great hearing about the weather in the rest of scotland we have snow in Eilean Siar pictures i posted earlier not as much here as on mainland scotland but enough i like the scottish thread better than a uk one shouldnt we start our own.

Posted

Altnaharra now at +2c. Warmer now than even Londonshire. Incredible temp hike there in small timeframe. 12 hours ago it was still -15c(I think)

Temp here has risen from -8.8c to -6.2c in 90 mins. Cloud around although nothing special :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

I see the Beeb forecast mentioned rain for North East Scotland!! say what?!