Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 17

Posted

Looking at the meto weather reports for Aberdeen, when it was hosing down with snow, they have recorded light rain.... WTF? I have a fresh inch of crisp white rain on the ground then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

well signing off now - enjoy the rain everyone!! :acute:

See you all tmrw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Radar has pink over me now??!!! not a cloud in the sky here

Posted

Just looking at latest gfs pub run... quick question.

It shows us 'warming up' to -5 850s and possibly even 0's... then it shows the -5 and colder reappearing from almost nowhere eg no draw off the continent.

Is this because the cold is so embedded over us and with the ground utterly frozen that we can quickly generate our own cold or even cool any southwest stream that may appear?

Posted

a little spell of light snow in S Edinburgh as I walked home tonight, rather pretty but nothing accumulative. Am wondering if any of those brighter radar echoes will make their way west...

I don't know the answer to your question Argyllcraig, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else does have an answer to that - I saw that effect on an earlier run and wondered how it could happen?!

sss

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Now slizzling here, rather predictably but disappointing nonetheless after this morning's cold. Can see nothing in the models to suggest any more snow here for the next few days and then we get the coastal warming really coming in. Just as well the Ardbeg's not finished yet.

Posted

Another 2 inches of snow this evening just after we spent time this afternoon clearing and thawing the valley gutter on the house. GRRRR!!

Just looking at latest gfs pub run... quick question.

It shows us 'warming up' to -5 850s and possibly even 0's... then it shows the -5 and colder reappearing from almost nowhere eg no draw off the continent.

Is this because the cold is so embedded over us and with the ground utterly frozen that we can quickly generate our own cold or even cool any southwest stream that may appear?

Not a technical answer but once remember at the end of a very cold February spell in the late sixties when a a warm front followed by a cold front off the Atlantic both gave us snowfall on a SW wind and it then cleared to very warm sunshine in the late afternoon, very Alpine. Made an impression as I wrote it down in my diary.

Posted

Can see the heavy shower heading straight towards me from the North. Should be here in next 30 minutes, currently clear sky with light snow!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Can see the heavy shower heading straight towards me from the North. Should be here in next 30 minutes, currently clear sky with light snow!!!!

Showers from the east pushing in as well. Maybe the bands will join up over us?? Still looks like the eastern extent of the band to our north is headed our way.

Posted

LS I do hope so, only for the fact that it lifted our temps to -5 and the alarms on the street have stopped chirping, so might get some sleep tonight. :help:

Must admit watching radar, the Northern arm seems to die clearing the mountains then all of a sudden gain intensity.

Edited by Cheggers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Evening all.

Today my PC is on it's last legs. Been having it restart when loading windows increasingly. Tried everything, but as its getting old (6 years) decided to upgrade today.

Finally, after 20 attempts, managed to get it going and spent the evening backing up 6 years of cr*p.

Now time for radar watching. Seems lots of us are doing well tonight. Even I have a nice looking shower heading my way biggrin.gif .

Posted

Looking at the meto weather reports for Aberdeen, when it was hosing down with snow, they have recorded light rain.... WTF? I have a fresh inch of crisp white rain on the ground then.

Same here about 1 inch, Hubby was out with the Dogs and said it was Raining :lazy: Looked at the Netweather radar, it was showing rain coming from north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

LS I do hope so, only for the fact that it lifted our temps to -5 and the alarms on the street have stopped chirping, so might get some sleep tonight. clap.gif

Must admit watching radar, the Northern arm seems to die clearing the mountains then all of a sudden gain intensity.

It's been hanging around -0C here for a few hours after a massive rise from -5C, but the dew point is still nowhere near marginal. If things go right for us tonight, then one of us could be looking at a big dumping overnight. That would basically make this the ultimate cold spell (month), especially if there is more snow to come next week from the potential attempt at a breakdown. I really hope we can avoid a breakdown, even if it leaves us under an inversion high for a few weeks. In fact, an inversion high would be just the trick! Anything to avoid a quick melting event. This chart would at the least prolong it a bit more, with uppers not low enough for convective showers we'd perhaps be left with some haar and temperatures not getting that much above freezing.

Rukm1441.gif

As for this chart, deja vu to mid december anyone?

h500slp.png

Posted

Mondy, im thinking the model 'southeast' thread are all too busy panicking about a FI gfs at the mo that their snow may go.... will repost that question in the morning i think.

Posted

Mondy, im thinking the model 'southeast' thread are all too busy panicking about a FI gfs at the mo that their snow may go.... will repost that question in the morning i think.

I'm not sure, but I've seen this happening before with models - what seems to happen is that we have a lot of inversion cold in high pressure, which embeds at the surface, but when the lows hit the cold air at ground levels ( I think) mixes with the uppers due to the wind and circulation modifying it and making the uppers a lot colder.

Not sure about this so you'd better ask the southern softies after hopefully a reassuring set of 00Zs (which we need also in the medium by the way).

Posted

Didn't expect snow here in Cumbernauld......but it's falling (and coming down a little bit actually) Probably not heavy enough to leave more than a dusting but didn't expect any snow at all so i'll take it. :clap:

Posted

Thanks for that LS, just been wondering how cold air is so stubborn to shift once its embedded and given the GFS run i find it very interesting how the cold sticks around or re-establishes itself.

I guess any mild incursion will have its work cut out to alter the overall pattern of weather in that first of all it has to clear the snow/ice which has undergone numerous freeze thaw cycles and then what about the virtual perma frost we now have..