Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 17

Will it rain radar is showing alot of pink speckles all across glasgow.... is it actually snowing in glasgow at the mo??

It is the freezing fog, the radar doesn't like it much!! NW Extra is showing some areas as having more than an inch of rain today, but it is just the fog particles showing up.

Edit: Beaten to an answer by Blizzardo :whistling:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Good for you, my friend. Good for you!! What a load of namby-pamby nonsense!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::whistling::wallbash:

I'll take some icy pics for the NW Scotland forum posseclap.gif I'm taking my two daughters for a skate on the lake (great photo opportunity) - because I maybe an old man by the time the next big freeze comes along.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Hi all

The temp has risen from -9 to -6.4 over the past hour, you never know we might get a little snow shower, but not getting my hopes up.

Edited by Allyw12

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

It looks very good for here overnight, with more showers (albeit lighter) building further south, while that band to your northwest and the one clipping Aberdeen all have a chance of hitting as well! As long as some of it stays pretty intense, I'm sure we'll see quite a bit. You do know that if you ended up with the red stuff over you for an hour you'd have an extra four-seven inches! Even an extra 2 or 3 overnight would happily do me, bringing me almost up to a foot in the garden!

Ah'll no hold ma breath then LSwhistling.gif

Currently -9 Deg C here, which is the lowest temp which I have seen here during this marvelous winterdrinks.gif

I think that this is due to it being pretty breezy here most nights and usually resulting in about -4 Deg C

Usually see these lower temps (-7, -8, -9) driving down through Dunfermline in the mornings on the way to work ower the bridge dry.gif

Now! ower the bridge , South Queensferry and along the Boness road have continuously been much colder at -9, -10 ,-11, but the dady of them all was a -12 Deg C this morning arround the slip road to join the M9 cold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Posted

Amazing to think the North Atlantic jetstream is at least a full 15 degrees south going by previous winters. It's at approx 40N latitude currently. Not a deep low pressure in sight for the Uk for more than likely weeks on end yet. I think the phrase "January Gales" won't be used this year ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy

Amazing to think the North Atlantic jetstream is at least a full 15 degrees south going by previous winters. It's at approx 40N latitude currently. Not a deep low pressure in sight for the Uk for more than likely weeks on end yet. I think the phrase "January Gales" won't be used this year whistling.gif

Aye Mondy,

But at least the BBC have a Gail presenting the weatherwhistling.gif

Ah'll get ma coat ehoops.gif

Big Innes

Posted

None of the traffic cams are working which is a bit of a bummer

They have been worn out over the last few weeks by us lot

Posted

Did anybody forecast the stuff coming down from the north?!

Posted

I don't believe they did - not until at least this afternoon anyway - I'm sure when I heard the forecast this morning it was 'cold and frosty in the north'

Posted

Yeh it was there this morning.......post 58 . Sorry no 85 I think.

Edited by Snowplough33

Posted

With the amount of cloud about in the Central Highland the temperatures will need to take a big tumble later to get lower than -22c tonight.

-11c in Glasgow now.

I agree - there's no way -20° going tonight/tomorrow morning.

Edited by Zerouali lives

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Lamp-post snow in Leith currently (flakes). If I'd checked the radar I would have seen it coming over from Kirkcaldy.

Cloudy sky, but have good visibility over to Fife.

Despite the cloud, still -7c at Embra airport.

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Lamp-post snow in Leith currently (flakes).

Is it pure coincidence we might get exactly the same weather as last night, with a lovely day and then snow in the evening from the same direction,

What do you think prospects for as coasties this weekend, every forecast seems to put edinburgh above freezing?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Lamp-post snow in Leith currently (flakes). If I'd checked the radar I would have seen it coming over from Kirkcaldy.

Same here. Very light snow, though a moderate band looks to have made its way towards Perth. Looks like more heading in from the east though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cloudy here now, with a temp of -8.8c - too cold for snow? :p

It wasn't in Aviemore at 7pm.

Here it is clouding over and the temp has risen to -4.6C.

Not sure if the cloud will keep the temps to high in the Highlands. Tulloch Bridge followed by Strathallan were the coldest at 7 pm on the Met sites.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

It wasn't in Aviemore at 7pm.

Here it is clouding over and the temp has risen to -4.6C.

Not sure if the cloud will keep the temps to high in the Highlands. Tulloch Bridge followed by Strathallan were the coldest at 7 pm on the Met sites.

too high lol. It's crazy that we automatically expect minima in the mid-high negative teens across highland Scotland now, which is a level of sustained cold I doubt we saw in '63! Maxima for January at Leuchars was a balmy 6.4C - not even sure if it's even got much above 4C so far, with even 'milder' weather unlikely to get temperatures that high.