Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

East Anglia & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

thats so localised bacause nothing more then a dusting to the east of canterbury

where abouts are you exactly?...i was really surprised how much we've had and it must have been fairly recent as it has covered up hubby's car tracks and he left for work at about 6.30am

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Updraft posted on other thread

Posted 17 minutes ago

That BBC Forecast saying it will miss the SE on Sunday and hit SW parts seems a load of tosh to me... Met Office are still saying snow from 18:00 Saturday until the end of Sunday for Kent it seems. and that was updated at 0801 this morning!

What i think was happening with that forcast was it was showing the graphics for later on in the day when the precipitation had already moved east to west.

Same reply for ickledoozer too :-)

Maybe it is going to be so heavy. In the south east that they don't want to cause a national panic lol. Wishfull thinking I think

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Intense hail shower here as precipitation developes from the north sea

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

well it is very misleading, I am constantly losing confidence in BBC forecasts!

I can understand what you are saying, however i think the reason for them just showing a glimpse is because of the uncertainty of the exact track and timing, so by showing it where they did but also saying it would be across the whole of the south kind of covers them. Rather them than me trying to forcast right now.

Posted

where abouts are you exactly?...i was really surprised how much we've had and it must have been fairly recent as it has covered up hubby's car tracks and he left for work at about 6.30am

im only in sturry which makes it even more surpising, few more miles east i wouldnt be to shocked to find out they have had no more !!!

Posted

Michael fish forecast at 8oclock said snow from late sat to mon for the south east!!!!

I'm going along with Michael Fish as well. Sky News Weather forecast team which is headed by Francis Wilson are still going for the snowy period for Sun/Mon. I rate Francis highly especially during winter months as I remember too well back in the '80's he was the only forecaster on one particular day to predict the rain would definitely turn to snow, and yes, he was right.

Posted

A morning shot of the FRESH SNOW that has fallen this morning.

How much have you had/got in whitstable?

Posted

im only in sturry which makes it even more surpising, few more miles east i wouldnt be to shocked to find out they have had no more !!!

That is very localised then!!...still snowing here in herne bay but very lightly...hopefully you'll get some more snow today..if you like it that is :drinks:

Posted

I can understand what you are saying, however i think the reason for them just showing a glimpse is because of the uncertainty of the exact track and timing, so by showing it where they did but also saying it would be across the whole of the south kind of covers them. Rather them than me trying to forcast right now.

Morning Jas!

I think you're right, this is another difficult to forecast situation but there are again, lots of things in our favour and with a good covering already on the ground, we just need the wind in our direction and some precip to start edging our way.

I'm reasonably confident that by the end of the weekend, we will all have got at least what we've had already! :drinks:

Posted

Been lurking on here for ages - 1st post - seems to have been very localised band of snow during the early hours. Looking at met office radar loop since about 4.30 a.m the snow hit the coast at Herne Bay roughly and then proceeded SW, past me here at Chartham and in a band perhaps no more than 10 miles wide or even less. Certainly we also had a lot and now have approx 5 inches total. :drinks:

Posted

I think the BBC in general is sending out a very confusing message. Michael Fish has been spot on with BBC Radio Kent and BBC South East etc... but then he has the experience. I think these young forecasters firstly have not experienced heavy snow like this accros the country, they simply are becoming reactive and not very accurate with short range at all at present. I would rather them just forecast very accurate weather for the day like in the USA than try and forecast 7 days in advance and be far wrong, I also think they have too many broadcasters and shoudl stick to just 3 that can offer some transparency for the public (say Rob, Daniel and another???)!

How much have you had/got in whitstable?

Overall about 6" in total has fallen, but with ice and thawing its holding at about 2.5 to 4" depending where you are in the town.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Morning Jas!

I think you're right, this is another difficult to forecast situation but there are again, lots of things in our favour and with a good covering already on the ground, we just need the wind in our direction and some precip to start edging our way.

I'm reasonably confident that by the end of the weekend, we will all have got at least what we've had already! :drinks:

Morning again matey, have you seen the radar, stream of cloud to our NE keeps getting so close but yet so far, now one bubbling up to our south, hardly got any nails left here!

post-157-12629424700652_thumb.txt

Edited by jasonuk

Posted

242ctfs.jpg

avpsh3.jpg

Posted

I'm going along with Michael Fish as well. Sky News Weather forecast team which is headed by Francis Wilson are still going for the snowy period for Sun/Mon. I rate Francis highly especially during winter months as I remember too well back in the '80's he was the only forecaster on one particular day to predict the rain would definitely turn to snow, and yes, he was right.

Francis Wilson is by far the most superior forecaster for snow in the UK. I would always place money on him over anyone else, if he says Snow it will Snow.

242ctfs.jpg

avpsh3.jpg

Very cool.... nice to see, and Sunday/Monday should be fun.

Posted

Sitting here in a layby on the A20 between Charing and Ashford. Tipping it down and looking at the radar it seems this streamer is very localised indeed. Absolute carnage on the roads with lorries and cars sliding all over the place. Got to have dumped around 5cms in an hour or so.

Over Detling just very misty with rime hanging off the trees and temps around -2.5c. Iwade was around -1.2c and cloudy after a covering overnight again.

Along the A20, considerable drifting from the winds early last night, estimate around 2-3' deep in places encroaching onto the road.

Snow depths seem to now be very constant from Detling to Charing at around 10-13cms.

Anyway looking very wintry indeed here in N/East Kent, with no doubt a lot more to come over the next 3 or so days.

Now the colder uppers are pushing down I would expect to see streamers set up tonight and especially tomorrow afternoon and evening as instability rising prior to the snow arriving overnight saturday from the near continent.

James

Posted

Interesting there seems to be a small but potent shower in the north sea heading straight for Chelmsford. The thing that I find interesting is the direct that it is coming from ENE. There is another shower which is also heading for chelmsford from pretty much a northerly direction. Anyone able to explain?

Posted

Few flurries this side of Peterborough, looking at the MetO Invent looks like a big bad heading towads us, then looking at 12pm on same indent it curves completely round us!!!! Hahahaha Theres a law about that! Still fingers crossed for something substantial here.

EDIT: coming hard and fast here :unsure:

Edited by Mrsf16

Posted

Had another good covering again this morning, fingers crossed for some more later

Guest archiesmummy

Look at the intensification of the snow heading due south!

Pic 1 and Pic 2!

COME ON!!!!!!!! could it hit my little part of the world? pleeeeeeeeeeese