Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but dull cloud

This is weird i just seen to things i never seen at the same time!! -- snowing and sunny, maybe i'll see a Snowbow next? And the sun and moon Right next to each other (bit behind cloud so you could look at dem) , almost colliding into oblitteration. [ bit worried about that, but im sure you astronomer ppl say it cant happen]

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

But it's either to the nw of us from the Wash or to the se of us in west Suffolk… even after 3/4 days of Armageddon elsewhere and absolutely no melt taking place here (we're at 110m asl and live right out in the sticks so no urban heat island) we've still only got at best 2 cm of lying snow.

If the w/e doesn't deliver some serious snow, I'll feel somewhat aggrieved — yes I know, it's far better than mild wet and muddy, but it is rather like torture hearing of 10"s here or 5" there when you've just had one of the stuff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

John Hammond's issued an early warning for the south east and London for Saturday into Sunday, snowage!! :(

Posted

Sun's back out again after impressive shower... Grrrr

However, compared to 87, 91 and last years dump, still disappointingly thin on the ground for us here in SE London... Obviously need a direct hit from an easterly to sort us out here.

Posted

yahoo.gifyahoo.gif

John Hammond's issued an early warning for the south east and London for Saturday into Sunday, snowage!! clap.gif

Yup Just watched that looked really really good drinks.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif

Posted

Great 13.30 forecast by Mr Hammond for the SE and esp Kent/Essex/Surrey/Sussex for the next few days starting later this afternoon for Kent.

James

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

06z NAE gives some heavy falls over the SE corner on Saturday night/Sunday morning - in line with the MetO warnings:

post-1052-12629574979052_thumb.gifpost-1052-12629575071552_thumb.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny Summer days and deep snow in Winter with everything in between

Sun's back out again after impressive shower... Grrrr

However, compared to 87, 91 and last years dump, still disappointingly thin on the ground for us here in SE London... Obviously need a direct hit from an easterly to sort us out here.

Yep, we could really do with some here, bit thin on the ground! Perhaps I won't need to ask for any more after this weekend :(

Edited by Jezzer

Posted

06z NAE gives some heavy falls over the SE corner on Saturday night/Sunday morning - in line with the MetO warnings:

:( Are they quite reliable Nick?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

For me, this is perfect January weather- a good 10cm or so of snow cover, hazy sunshine, scattered snow showers drifting around, and impressive Cb cells. The showers seem to be skirting around Norwich at the moment, but they certainly look picturesque.

Posted

Great 13.30 forecast by Mr Hammond for the SE and esp Kent/Essex/Surrey/Sussex for the next few days starting later this afternoon for Kent.

James

Certainly looked very good :)

Can someone say what the 'NAE' is please :)

regards,

Steve

Edited by Glideslope

Posted

A good 6cm covering widely around here near Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk. Went above freezing for a little while earlier, but now it's dropping again - currently 0.0c bang on.

Using the new METO radar projections, seems like we could get a some heavy shows from late afternoon onwards. Seeing what could potentially be arriving Sat/Sun - it's going to make the roads around here even more unpassable. Being in the middle of nowhere - there is no grit on the roads here whatsoever.

Posted

This realy takes me back to when I was younger in the 80s. I'm 35 now (old git!!)

deep snow on the ground for days, not just hours and like today heavy snow showers followed by blue skys and then once again heavy snow showers. Great weather for walking in,not so good as we all know for driving in. It just looks so nice to look at and brings out the kid in all of us :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Looking a BBC online forecast for sunday/monday...

BBC

Snow seems forecast for a line from Wash down to the west of London without further progression westwards. However, there is a little indentation just to the north of London where the snow seems to halt a lot further east. In fact, it doesn't quite reach where I am from the look of it!!! :)

Posted

Hello everyone

Im not convinced by the MetO severe weather % downgrades for areas London and SW of...

Looking at the wind vectors and synoptics there are multiple paths of which snow could arrive

and slight changes in the Vectors can make a huge difference to the snow path.

Without question the SE will see snow over the next couple of days, but I also think

London and SW London are not 'out of the woods' yet :)

Posted

:) Are they quite reliable Nick?

Better than GFS projections, as they are higher resolution.

Posted

This realy takes me back to when I was younger in the 80s. I'm 35 now (old git!!)

deep snow on the ground for days, not just hours and like today heavy snow showers followed by blue skys and then once again heavy snow showers. Great weather for walking in,not so good as we all know for driving in. It just looks so nice to look at and brings out the kid in all of us :-)

Totally agree, I'm 36 and my friends and g/f are amazed how excited I get, just love snow! Off skiing in Chamonix in a couple of weeks so let the snow continue :)

Posted

Certainly looked very good :clap:

Can someone say what the 'NAE' is please :oops:

regards,

Steve

Heres a good link here which will explain more about this:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/science/creating/daysahead/ensembles/MOGREPS.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

I agree smile.gif

Although I am sure my children are not as excited about it as I was back then... I seem to be the only one excited about it now in our house and i'm 33 !!

Posted

Current data for Linslade

08 January 2010 13:45:37

Temperature (°C):

Current 0.1

Trend (per hour) +0.6

Average today -3.0

Wind chill 0.1

Humidex -2.5

Dew Point -2.1

Rel Humidity 85%

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 7.6 W

Average Speed 0.0 ESE

Pressure (mb):

Current 1023.3

Trend (per hour) +0.5

gorgeous blue sky im off out fed up of vegatating on the pc !

Edited by simon65

Posted

Now, that is a sight I like. No blues over my area. I'm still very worried about this talk of marginality though. Not just here but all other coastal districts in the region. Can anyone put these fears to rest?....

Thought not. :clap: