Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 3

Posted

Just started snowing lightly here in Rougham, south-east of Bury St Edmunds. Looks like it's slowly moving along the A14 as well...

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

At the moment the wind speed in Ipwich is 9MPH, highest gust recorded today 12mph.

The wind gusts of the North East coast of Norfolk are showing as 29mph and predicted to be over 32 mph.

To be fair if you are outside and its strong winds with moderate snow, it would seem a blizzard, but maybe technically speaking its not a blizzard. :cc_confused:

Anyway for those that want the snow (I actually don't want it to snow), enjoy what is coming .

Edited by North Londoner

Posted

present conditions here are as follows ,and if you can see a cam of Ipswich why carry on going on about "no its not a blizzard" if your "into" proper weather ,stop moaning !

Current data for Linslade

09 January 2010 14:30:20

Temperature (°C):

Current -0.3

Trend (per hour) +0.2

Average today -2.2

Wind chill -0.3

Humidex -3.4

Dew Point -4.2

Rel Humidity 75% is it possible to have snow with such low humidity ?

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 9.2 NW

Average Speed 3.1 NW

Pressure (mb):

Current 1023.9

Trend (per hour) -0.4

Edited by simon65

Posted

Snow has now started very very light here in...................... East Hertfordshire.

Posted

i say I'm in Ipswich its snowing very heavy in the last half&; hour we have had an inch& and its still coming down OK

Posted

The wind gusts of the North East coast of Norfolk are showing as 29mph and predicted to be over 32 mph.

To be fair if you are outside and its strong winds with moderate snow, it would seem a blizzard, but maybe technically speaking its not a blizzard. :good:

Anyway for those that want the snow (I actually don't want it to snow), enjoy what is coming .

You don't want it to Snow because your work is suffering quite understandable but do you think it will snow here in Herts?

Posted

Did you read it?

Actually it was me who said it was like a blizzard, i drew Southernman's attention to what was going on outside.

I am quite sure that anyone else on seeing those conditions would have said as well "it's like a blizzard"

I am going to ignore your sarcasm, it isn't necessary on a weather forum.

Posted

I would just like to state that I'm no weather expert so I just post things as I see them. Please accept my humblest apoplogies for not knowing what the true definition of a blizzard was. !

Posted

You don't want it to Snow because your work is suffering quite understandable but do you think it will snow here in Herts?

i feel quite certain it will snow in the regions that this post is attached to ,especially later in the night

Edited by simon65

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

All in all an interesting situation.

Absolutely nobody, no matter how good a forecaster, is going to predict the weather 100% accurately, all the time. There's always the breaking wind in the garden / typhoon in the Pacific a few weeks later syndrome.

Anyone that good would have been appropriated by the Government by now as a 'gritting czar!'whistling.gif

Posted

Snow has now started very very light here in...................... East Hertfordshire.

It's on it's way :good:

Posted

Wind here, a few miles north of Ipswich, gusting from 5 to 20 mph. Because the snow is being blown all over the place, its a bit difficult to measure what's fallen but a sheltered spot in my garden has 2cm in the last 20 minutes.

It's been bucketing down although easing off a little at the moment.

John

Posted

I would just like to state that I'm no weather expert so I just post things as I see them. Please accept my humblest apoplogies for not knowing what the true definition of a blizzard was. !

you should call it what you see it lol i think someone needs to chill a bit ,everyone has there own way to explain something ,ive never seen a blizzard either ,i call it heavy if i can count 1 snow flake per square foot :good:

Edited by simon65

Posted

Looking at the radar, I expect the snow to arrive just SE of Northampton at 4pm latest. Bear in mind that statement is only observational, as I used a stamp book against my monitor to measure how far it had travelled in 15/30 mins. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I don't think the press help, when the first snowfall of any winter is described as a blizzard. Sensationalist journalism.

Posted

looking at the radar that front from france is really making its way inland , yeah bring it on but at 44 i think i will leave the sledging alone :good:

Posted

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

http://www.meteox.nl/gmap.aspx?soort=loop3uur&zoom=6&lat=52.908902047770255&lon=-1.845703125

watching radar i never seen any thing like this in years by late sunday nouthing will be moving

Posted

you should call it what you see it lol i think someone needs to chill a bit ,everyone has there own way to explain something ,ive never seen a blizzard either ,i call it heavy if i can count 1 snow flake per square foot :)

How about 50 odd flakes per square foot?:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

you should call it what you see it lol i think someone needs to chill a bit ,everyone has there own way to explain something ,ive never seen a blizzard either ,i call it heavy if i can count 1 snow flake per square foot unknw.gif

I was very tempted to report the Blizzard in the East of MK and my 4 foot snow drifts but I will resist the temptation until they actually happen laugh.gif

Posted

Will snow, but how much in Herts? I noticed that the BBC showed the heaviest snow running Southwest wards, but the GFS charts showing heavier snow more Northwards.

Will this leave a more dryer sector through the middle?

I think its down to nowcasting as TEITS has indicated already and checking the radar to where the main PPN is moving to.

Edited by North Londoner

Posted

Actually it was me who said it was like a blizzard, i drew Southernman's attention to what was going on outside.

I am quite sure that anyone else on seeing those conditions would have said as well "it's like a blizzard"

I am going to ignore your sarcasm, it isn't necessary on a weather forum.

I'm trying to educate. Oh well, as you were..............

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Been snowing for the past hour now, at times heavily. Temperature now -1.1C....yet another ice day!

Definately touching blizzard conditions here now with the drifting snow.

In the heavier snow visability is down to less than 100m and the wind is gusting 34mph, so it is touching a true blizzard.

Shame I broke my leg on the 2nd and have watched most of this great period of weather from Ipswich hospital, and for the past 2 days from my sofa. If I was able I would be straight out there in it.