Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 3

Posted

I don't think the press help, when the first snowfall of any winter is described as a blizzard. Sensationalist journalism.

I blame Eddie Blizzard myself.

( Shall I get my coat? ):)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I agree with Lizzie.

The web cam certainly is not showing a blizzard in Ipswich, nor is it showing what it would be like after one — maybe just before they're about to get one. :)

I spent the entire night of the 18th December radar watching Cambridge's 'blizzard' 'whiteout' whatever – went into the city next morning and this was it… barely 2" of slushy snow.:) so I've taken quite a few people's claims with a large pinch of (much needed atm) salt since.

post-8078-12630484906642_thumb.jpg

Posted

This is the last time I'm going to comment on the blizzard fued. I've ski'd in blizzard/whiteout conditions with visibility down to 1m and winds in the region of 45mph, and it's not nice. Technically speaking it was not a blizzard, but 8 miles east of Ipswich winds were gusting, snowfall was heavy and horizontal, and visibility for a period did reduce to around 300m. I've received somewhere in the region of 2" additional snowcover in the last hour. It is lighter now and intermitent.

Good signs for all I would think if this system is due to push into all of EA! Enjoy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Blizzard here now i can barely see the end of the road and it is only 4 houses to the end.

I have just got in from a drive round the area to take pic's and it is building up and drifting really bad now, if this keeps up over night without many cars about there will be a lot of blocked roads in my area. :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I just counted three flakes in about 10 seconds :yahoo:

:yahoo:

Wow better get the crampons and snow cat out. Batten down and if the flake rate goes up to 5 per minute call out the Army.:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I blame Eddie Blizzard myself.

( Shall I get my coat? )pardon.gif

Definitely!biggrin.gif

Anyway wind is blowing snow about here now.

Posted

the clump of snow clipping the east of herts and running sw through parts of london may well back a bit further west as winds have turned a bit more easterly. however, the back of this precip is pretty clear on the radar and i'm not sure its going to much damage to the northern home counties as its likely to run out of steam before the wind drags it in our direction. the lighter returns in the low countries is the area which will come across later this evening and overnight. looks fairly light as forecast but may well pep up a bit over the north sea.

Posted

Absolutely bitter wind here, it's clouded over in the last hour and looks like there's some snow on the way. First few small flakes just starting to fall. -0.8c with a top temp today of -0.5c.

Posted

Snow making real westward inroads now and some heavier stuff in there too.

Expect most of Hertfordshire to be reporting snow within 30 minutes

Posted

Blizzard here now i can barely see the end of the road and it is only 4 houses to the end.

I have just got in from a drive round the area to take pic's and it is building up and drifting really bad now, if this keeps up over night without many cars about there will be a lot of blocked roads in my area. cold.gif

Interesting. I've noticed the wind has got up here, but no chance of me venturing out now to check it, till I hit the pubs later. Might have to be my local!

Posted

Wind here, a few miles north of Ipswich, gusting from 5 to 20 mph. Because the snow is being blown all over the place, its a bit difficult to measure what's fallen but a sheltered spot in my garden has 2cm in the last 20 minutes.

It's been bucketing down although easing off a little at the moment.

John

Wattisham a few miles to my SW is gusting to 30mph

Meto link

I don't think the Ipswich Live wind speed readings are quite on the ball. Apart from today's peak gust on their homepage being clearly out, I've been on the outskirts of Ipswich today and it was a lot windier than 5mph!

John

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

I'm trying to educate. Oh well, as you were..............

Nice try Lizzie. I agree with you. Whiteout reports are the ones that get me, very few will ever experience a true whiteout (trust me you don't want to) but I am sure there will be a few reports of them during next 2 days.

Posted

OK, No one loves snow more than I do, I bet we all think this, but I'm sure I love it a little more than the rest.

Just been for a walk round Willen Lake, there is an even coating all the way round of about 3 inches, and it is compacted to 1 inch on the paths.

I was expecting to be very cold, but, I actually got a sweat on half way round ( I can run round both lakes in 16 mins ) so where is this bitter easterly??

I have been very dissapointed with the Beebs 4cast for this area since last evening, but I'm learning to ignor that, and I am still ever the optimist. I have checked the rain today radar and it is looking very intresting, but...................

WILL IT GET TO MK?? HOW MUCH WILL FALL??

I am happy with what we have got, after all, MK NEVER gets a good dump, too far inland from the east, south, west and north, and not really high enough.

I love the fact that it now only takes 5 mins to get to work since I moved here in May from Kettering, but boy, Kettering got and gets a lot more snow!!

C'mon!!

Posted

I agree with Lizzie.

The web cam certainly is not showing a blizzard in Ipswich, nor is it showing what it would be like after one — maybe just before they're about to get one. nonono.gif

I spent the entire night of the 18th December radar watching Cambridge's 'blizzard' 'whiteout' whatever – went into the city next morning and this was it… barely 2" of slushy snow.nonono.gif so I've taken quite a few people's claims with a large pinch of (much needed atm) salt since.

im in ipswich and its snowing hard the EAST SIDE of the town

Posted

Nice try Lizzie. I agree with you. Whiteout reports are the ones that get me, very few will ever experience a true whiteout (trust me you don't want to) but I am sure there will be a few reports of them during next 2 days.

I commented on this a couple of days ago. When you can't see your feet, or people next to you, caused by snow blowing at 60mph plus. Very surreal and scary.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Wow pretty much non-stop heavy snow since 1pm, still going strong and seeing some very impressive depths...10 inches widely by tonight in Ipswich, some places in Ipswich Felixstowe already have in excess of 8 inches before all this...