Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Temps are rising quite rapidly in N Norfolk - now at +1.7C (highest for days!) with dp -3 (was -6 1.5 hours ago). I don't think this is a good sign for coastal regions at least.

Yes, Norwich Airport is up at 1C. I thought this event would prove to be marginal, and I think we may see that over the coming hours as the band of precipitation moves in.

I really hope it doesn't turn out to be a sleety slushy mix- the latest model outputs suggest no thaw of any note next week, so it would be nice to keep fresh snow rather than have sleet fall on top of it followed by refreezing leading to ice.

Norwich Airport is, however, showing a dewpoint of -3C, which implies that if we get precipitation it probably wouldn't turn sleety unless we approached +3C.

Posted

Your definition of intelligence seems to be anyone who posts up something you hope will happen.

I don't think intelligence comes into this the way you portray it to. people interpret what they see, say and feel differently. Doesn't make one better than the other, on a per event basis it just makes them luckier :)

My deffinition on that post was that the poster mentioned it's not due till and after midnight and people should not worry, that's why I thought it was an intelligent post becasue people are expecting it to be coming now or it will be developed soon.

You seem to think I am talking about the persons intelligence, I am not, I am talking about what is in the specific post I quote and not whether the poster is inteligent etc.....

Posted

1st Percip with Herts name on it is now appearing off the coast of suffolk. You can see on the radar http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ that echoes are now appearing further north at sea to around Norwich. This will start traveling inland and may even start traveling slightly north as it pushes in land. As stated earlier it will be a painfull process so going to watch a film and come back later! ETA East Herts, Beds, Bucks 1030pm. West Anglia 8pm Eastern areas in the next hour or so.

I recommend, 'The Day After Tomorrrow' !! get you in the mood for the next few days

Posted

Hammer - Can you explain why it will align NE to SW? If you follow the link above it is comming off the land heading directly East and keeping its intensity. Winds are now Veering direct East as the Isobars allign East. Why would this deflect SW?

Come tomorrow the front lies NE-SW.

Personally I feel our precip isn't going to come via the continent. Our precip is going to be due to the combination of the front and the effects of the E,lys across the N Sea. So technically we're going to create our own precip. This is why I said last night that once the flow changes from ENE,ly to E,ly the risk of heavier snow moves away from the SE and extends N. Our best chance of heavy snow is between Sunday evening/Monday morning.

Back to the radar and the area across the Wash is increasing in width and intensity. At this rate come 2hrs time we may see widespread light/moderate snow across the region this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Dewpoints are set to push up to around freezing tomorrow. We'll have to wait and see- but I definitely think the main problem tomorrow will be marginal temperatures not precipitation.

Posted

snowing again on the east side of ipswich

Posted

To a certain extent I agree. Kent will have recorded the highest totals by the end of this and Barnet is too for south of the percip in Netherlands. I think places such as North Herts up to Peterborough etc will get hit by this though. I have been looking at all the charts / radars etc pver the last 2 hrs and would gues at 5-10cm for this location by end of tommorow. Ask me again tommorow and that may change lol!

Milton Keynes, could be in a sweet spot if it comes off a the charts suggest.

Posted

Yes, Norwich Airport is up at 1C. I thought this event would prove to be marginal, and I think we may see that over the coming hours as the band of precipitation moves in.

I really hope it doesn't turn out to be a sleety slushy mix- the latest model outputs suggest no thaw of any note next week, so it would be nice to keep fresh snow rather than have sleet fall on top of it followed by refreezing leading to ice.

Norwich Airport is, however, showing a dewpoint of -3C, which implies that if we get precipitation it probably wouldn't turn sleety unless we approached +3C.

Agreed - we have had the best snowfall here for ages and it would be a shame to see this all get ruined with a slushy mix - sadly though I can already hear a bit of drip, drip, drip. You may be better placed in Norwich - quite often this is the case. I'm totally confused about precipitation tonight - reading through these posts. What are your thoughts for the region? I can see there is quite a bit over Germany & NL from the Satellite but not sure where this is all heading.

Posted

Dewpoints are set to push up to around freezing tomorrow. We'll have to wait and see- but I definitely think the main problem tomorrow will be marginal temperatures not precipitation.

I agree to some extent but this is far more likely for places such as Norwich compared to say Northants due to the distance from the N Sea.

Posted

It will snow everywhere across the region tomorrow and into Monday, but there's a risk of it turning sleety near the coasts. Currently (and unexpectedly, since there's nowt on the radar) snowing in Norwich.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Your on if sw cambridgeshire included in that

bet taken... any others?

http://pages.unibas....m22/00PCP03.htm

the low rising up (south to north) through Germany on this animation slings a big snowball over the southern uk late Sunday into Monday.. the site's sometime's a little off but I favour it more than the 'Sky' sensationalist forecasts of late rolleyes.gif enjoy

50p bet 3 counties et al and all will get a nice dusting..drinks.gif

Edited by shadowcat

Posted

I'm guessing it was pretty bad then tongue.gif

Hardly even a flurry from bottem of london upwards until the wash area. Although im pretty sure the wash will perform so TEITIS (who acutally deserves it unlike those pesky people in Kent) will get pounded. Already evidence of those showers building up in that area.

Posted

It will snow everywhere across the region tomorrow and into Monday, but there's a risk of it turning sleety near the coasts. Currently (and unexpectedly, since there's nowt on the radar) snowing in Norwich.

It has also snowed here a few times today with nothing to show on the radar.

Posted

Come tomorrow the front lies NE-SW.

Personally I feel our precip isn't going to come via the continent. Our precip is going to be due to the combination of the front and the effects of the E,lys across the N Sea. So technically we're going to create our own precip. This is why I said last night that once the flow changes from ENE,ly to E,ly the risk of heavier snow moves away from the SE and extends N. Our best chance of heavy snow is between Sunday evening/Monday morning.

Back to the radar and the area across the Wash is increasing in width and intensity. At this rate come 2hrs time we may see widespread light/moderate snow across the region this evening.

Very good point TEITS. Looking at recent radar slides it appears some convection is kicking off just north east of here...light snow falling now. Certainly a case of keeping a close eye on the radar this evening

Posted

Hardly even a flurry from bottem of london upwards until the wash area. Although im pretty sure the wash will perform so TEITIS (who acutally deserves it unlike those pesky people in Kent) will get pounded. Already evidence of those showers building up in that area.

Trouble is they are very light and keep pushing into Nottingham/Leicester.

The ones that head in the direction of Peterborough and Northants keep dying.

Posted

i would say if you live in north suffolk or norfolk, there is very little chance of any decent snow over the next few days, same as since this cold spell started, and before christmass. the bbc also is showing very little ppn for the above areas.

we have about 2" here in diss, the snow is Always a day a way and will continue to be, and change at the last minute. sorry to be a bit pessamistic, but based on past experiance, i think it will be the case.

one day, possibly over the next few years (due to cold winters often coming in clumps, and the lagging effect of the curerent solar minimum and other factors), we will get a good dumping with 6 foot drifts like we had back in the good old 70s and 80s.

Posted

Yeah, just looked out of my window and it's snowing. Had a few showers earlier, and checked the radar for earlier and it had nothing on it for then either. Strange.