Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 3

Posted

Well, as I said the situation will inevitably evolve, so we may well see some heavy snow still in Herts. We'll see!

Either way you cant loose in your prediction. :acute: Think I will go with your prediction now.

Edited by Blizzard_of_Oz

Posted

Just to say people who may be a bit worried with the radar showing little, as we go through the night there will be plenty of convection hotting up in the North Sea

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Here's a question for you? If we are going to get lucky with the snow tonight, why is all the snow going down to the SE? It is on the Radar I am looking at anyway. cc_confused.gif

These showers is not the main system moving in - heading in westerly direction towards EA

Posted

Actually I am more mad about snow than you I spent £2000 flying to Lapland to see snow and loved it that much I went again the next year, and when I was sixteen I flew to Canada ( did they have planes in them days) to see a white christmas and for the first time in 17 yrs it did not snow untill boxing day, but it was 4ft so I did'nt mind.

Oh and there is no attachment. whistling.gif

OK, you love snow too, but flying too is a lot easier than walking up!!

attachement attached.

wont go off topic again. promise

post-11032-12630580851442_thumb.jpg

Posted

Here's a question for you? If we are going to get lucky with the snow tonight, why is all the snow going down to the SE? It is on the Radar I am looking at anyway. :clap:

Must admit thats what i have been thinking, not a thing here today apart from a few flurries. looking at the radar i just cannot see where it is going to come from for tonight:cc_confused:

Posted

These showers is not the main system moving in - heading in westerly direction towards EA

Then plenty of convection behind it to add more snow

Posted

The BBC forecast has changed again!!!:clap: :lol: They are so comicle.

No snow till at least mid-day tomorrow and then they are flurries!:lol:

I'm sorry but come one it has changed in 30 minutes......

Posted

What are your general views for Herts Tim?

i expect the snow will set in for Herts around 11pm and will go right through to Tues. It will vary from light flurries to heavy downpours. As for totals I wouldn't put my life on it but expect 8-12cm by monday. As I said earlier some areas will get lucky and see 20cm whilst 20 miles up the road will have only 5cm. I expect Monday morning will be chaos and all the schools will be shut.

Posted

attachement attached.

I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad put some pants on man you'll freeze to death :clap:

Ok the swear filter has got me. Sorry

Edited by phantom

Posted

If you look at this site it shows you up to date wind direction and speed and also dew temps etc for 100s of locations ....

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ Winds are still NE but if you look of the Norfolk coast they are veering E. I dont expect the widespread snow to hit our region much before midnight TBH.

Just noticed that dew points are getting high (+2) near the coasts so dont be dissapointed here to sleet / rain. Still snow 20 miles inland.

Cheers, added to the faves.

Posted

i expect the snow will set in for Herts around 11pm and will go right through to Tues. It will vary from light flurries to heavy downpours. As for totals I wouldn't put my life on it but expect 8-12cm by monday. As I said earlier some areas will get lucky and see 20cm whilst 20 miles up the road will have only 5cm. I expect Monday morning will be chaos and all the schools will be shut.

Thanks Tim! Hopefully the height of St. Albans helps again!:p

The roads will be chaos if that happens as the council are already restiricting a lot of gritting and quite a few main raods in St. Albans have only been snow ploughed and no gritting.

Posted

attachement attached.

Dan, When you told me about the 3 peaks challenge you didn't tell me there was snow involved! Call yourself a salesman, you need to find out which buttons to press to get me to buy!....Count me in, off to the gym to start training lol!

Posted

Well the BBC has the main snow band just to the north of Peterborough with Peterborough getting the odd shower, we cant be that unlucky again can we..................??????????????? lol

Fingers crossed they are wrong, like 90% of their forecasts :p

Edited by Slinky

Posted

Look, i've realied now IGNORE BBC. Look at the radar, but even if it shows the snow is heading towards you it may swerve off at the last second. In this kind of weather a miles could make all the difference. Just relax and enjoy the bext cold spell for years!

Posted

Well the BBC has the main snow band just to the north of Peterborough with Peterborough getting the odd shower, we cant be that unlucky again can we..................??????????????? lol

That's because that forecast is completely wrong! :p

Edited by saint

Posted

Hi,

Ben Nevis is well nice at the top, walked up there 2 years ago with my little one (he was 5 then), although it did take him a while to get there he done it. never got a pic though because i left my camera in the tent. :p

He wants to go back this year so fingers crossed we can (waterfalls should be very nice with this ammount of snow on the mountains).

Back to the weather: We had a very light snow flurry about 10 mins ago (nothing on the radar though), only lasted about 5 mins.

Temp is around 0c (thermometer not that good - soz), and it is fairly breezy now compared to a couple of hours ago.

Posted

Must admit thats what i have been thinking, not a thing here today apart from a few flurries. looking at the radar i just cannot see where it is going to come from for tonight:cc_confused:

http://www.meteox.nl/gmap.aspx?soort=loop3uur&zoom=6&lat=52.908902047770255&lon=-1.845703125

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just to say people who may be a bit worried with the radar showing little, as we go through the night there will be plenty of convection hotting up in the North Sea

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't convection require v.cold upper temperatures? They are currently –10C over the north sea, but weren't they planned to rise hence the possibility of 'marginal' sleet/rain on the coasts?

I've been watching convective showers off the NSea all week, but less than 5% of those have ever got the 40 miles inland to my location.

Posted

Look, i've realied now IGNORE BBC. Look at the radar, but even if it shows the snow is heading towards you it may swerve off at the last second. In this kind of weather a miles could make all the difference. Just relax and enjoy the bext cold spell for years!

I doubt it will suddenly swerve! We are unlucky at the moment as there are showers to the north of our region and a persistent wide streamer over the SE corner, bet Kent has some impressive totals. Tonight was never progged as the main event anyway and the forecasts are still accurate. I will be worried if I look at the radar at 11pm and the setup continues and would rate this risk at 20%. It is possible that there is a dry wedge between 2 fronts and we are the wedge! This is only a 20% risk as the winds should veer more E towards Midnight meaning more N sea convection and allot of instablity heading our way. No forecaster or computer can accurately forcast the distribution of percipitation after midnight. Alot of nail biting and radar watching to come.

Dan - Better go buy the Mrs some chocolates and Flowers if your gonna be glued to your laptop till the snow starts in MK lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

well confused with this weather now..they sayin snow for tonight can someone tell please where from.looked at latest radar..all heading southeast not north as everyone on here keep saying

Posted

Hi,

Ben Nevis is well nice at the top, walked up there 2 years ago with my little one (he was 5 then), although it did take him a while to get there he done it. never got a pic though because i left my camera in the tent. wallbash.gif

He wants to go back this year so fingers crossed we can (waterfalls should be very nice with this ammount of snow on the mountains).

Back to the weather: We had a very light snow flurry about 10 mins ago (nothing on the radar though), only lasted about 5 mins.

Temp is around 0c (thermometer not that good - soz), and it is fairly breezy now compared to a couple of hours ago.

I hpe you get a foto like this one from the very top.

Good luck

post-11032-12630590928242_thumb.jpg

Posted

If you look at this site it shows you up to date wind direction and speed and also dew temps etc for 100s of locations ....

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ Winds are still NE but if you look of the Norfolk coast they are veering E. I dont expect the widespread snow to hit our region much before midnight TBH.

Just noticed that dew points are getting high (+2) near the coasts so dont be dissapointed here to sleet / rain. Still snow 20 miles inland.

Eh? dew points in the region are around -2 to -5 depending where you are..