Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

whats happening on wednesday............looks to be quite heavy but what are we expecting it to fall as???

Got just over a foot of snow here out of the village but it has been thawing real quick.

-2.2 currently smile.gif

Edited by 0ryan0

Posted

I think London will get this band- especially the S E & south side-

However no settling apart from the hillier regions etc outside of london ( UHI effect)

S

Thanks steve. Bit colder here in Ealing so it may just settle if we get any dregs but anyway bound to be better than last nights zero snowfall

Posted

Steve is right with the ESE Flow - Places that have been protected from the Seas Modification this past week are now paying the price with the flow coming straight at them, notice places facing North are getting Snow whereas Leigh and Rayleigh have Sleet and Rain, I am somewhat surprised that Benfleet are getting Snow as they are a good hundred feet lower than us.

Vesuvius the Re-Load is the Pattern re-setting in about 10 days time, eg the Mild is trying to push the Immovable Object away (Eg Scandi High) and failing at first on Tues, then re-tries on Thursday, ECMWF Has the High Winning and Strengthening the Block to bring back a re-load of NE & E winds

Paul S

Cheers for the summary mate. Aint had a chance to look at the charts today been making a snow mountain in the back garden in the hope it will last until a reload! Whats the gfs saying on the 12z? Over progging the atlantic as always? You think a beast reload is poss next weekend?

Posted

Bundles and Bundles of Cold Rain! :D:(:D

Actually it is quite refreshing when it hits you in the face

Temp 1.5c and Dewpoint 0.5c

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

While we await the next radar return, a point Steve alluded to the other day re. cyclonic curvature and what to look for on synoptic charts. Friday/Saturdays charts reminded me of post-xmas 2005. Remember this.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2005/Rrea00120051228.gif

Note ENE leaving the Dutch coast but by the time the flow arrives on the Essex/Kent coast we've got a NNE/NE flow at best.

If I remember rightly, Dave(TEITS) Peterboro and NSC(Tamara) Mid-Kent/Sussex borders did well from this event.

Back in London SE20 (At the time), all I received was a 15 minute squally wintry shower. Cyclonic curvature of that sort a definite no-no for SE.London/NW. Kent.

Now this, much better.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2005/Rrea00120050222.gif

Straight ENE flow, gave quite a few hours of heavy snow showers to SE.London/NW.Kent.

Or this.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2005/Rrea00120050225.gif

Thames streamer brought about by convergence, again a good few hours of heavy snow showers, for the same area.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Bundles and Bundles of Cold Rain! :whistling:;);)

That's the spirit!! Red blooded englishman!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and hot in summer

drinks.gifgood things come to those that wait

snowing in strood kent

Posted

Also snowing in Rochester (bluebell hill end) and Whistable and Herne - seems like all of Kent is getting an unexpected shower :whistling:

Question is - can anyone tell how long it will last and how much (if any) will be added to existing snow totals??

Posted

There doesn't seem to be much beyond these showers at the moment on Rain Today but in so many of these circumstances I've put the computer down for an hour or two only to find further pepping up - so who knows - more might build up to the East yet! Temp is also down to 0.4C here and looks to be falling a bit further. Would love to have a dew point "meter" if such a thing exists - right - off to Google for one!

Posted

Also snowing in Rochester (bluebell hill end) and Whistable and Herne - seems like all of Kent is getting an unexpected shower ;)

Question is - can anyone tell how long it will last and how much (if any) will be added to existing snow totals??

I would be happy just to see a couple of showers!:whistling:

Posted

Bundles and Bundles of Cold Rain! :whistling:;);)

That's the spirit!! Red blooded englishman!

Lol

Enjoy everyone South of the Thames. We never ever in winter History have ever done any good out of an ESE Flow - In fact I have seen 37 Winters and some of those have been pretty severe and if the flow is not from NE - E Then we will not do any good.

Lets hope London can get some accumulations out of this as it travels NW

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

sleet has arrived. hope it might turn as the precip intensfies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

There doesn't seem to be much beyond these showers at the moment on Rain Today but in so many of these circumstances I've put the computer down for an hour or two only to find further pepping up - so who knows - more might build up to the East yet! Temp is also down to 0.4C here and looks to be falling a bit further. Would love to have a dew point "meter" if such a thing exists - right - off to Google for one!

This one is good if you have your relative humidity reading: http://www.dpcalc.org/

Posted

ame='Downpour' date='10 January 2010 - 21:15 ' timestamp='1263158102' post='1736247']

Lol

Enjoy everyone South of the Thames. We never ever in winter History have ever done any good out of an ESE Flow - In fact I have seen 37 Winters and some of those have been pretty severe and if the flow is not from NE - E Then we will not do any good.

Lets hope London can get some accumulations out of this as it travels NW

Paul S

Cheers Paul. Steve m say no but maybe in the leafy suburbs where uhi effect is a lot weaker we may pick up something. promising for dulwich, blackheath, Bromley, but guess I am too far west...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

hi all to my suprise its been snowing here in deal and has settled an my car cant see if its settled anywhere else. but was a good shower.

Posted

According to my weather station thingy the dew point in Ashford is -0.6. Can anyone confirm how accurate this is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

cc_confused.gif whats supposed to be happening for next week especially towards wednesday looks quite good but will it fall as snow please answer no 1 ever seems to answer me .

Got around a foot ofsnow atm but been thawing rapidly:(

Posted

about one flake every 5 seconds, nothing major yet

Has it slowed up on its Westward Track?Or is it the case of as it gets nearer me im going to die out type scenerio :D