Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

How much has now settled Yamkin? it was only a dusting when I left Kenley earlier.

1cm has settled so far.

Heavy snow here right now

Edited by yamkin

Posted

Even though there has been continuous snow all day with the sudden heavier shower, nothing really settled. A bit of a slow thaw today, but now all those areas are covering up with fresh snow.

More or less the same story here. Keeps falling a lot better tonight though!

Edit. Back to snizzle. I have a good feeling for the next few hours though, how long will it last???

I was sure we'd get some sort of Thames streamer before this weekend was out.

Edited by mesocyclone

Posted

Barmybint

Being one on your local Coastguards - the M2 Bridge is 27m above sea level, whereas Rochester airport is 123m above sea level - can you work it out from that? if not let me know your location (PM if necessary) and I will let you know..

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Bob

Bob - thanks for that. Will be about the same as the airport then as I'm pretty much next door to it! Only wanted a rough idea so you've saved me heaps of time :wacko:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny or Cold and snowy

a fair amount of thawing today but still have just over 10cm lying snow and our road is still under a good couple of inches making it hard to get out in the cars. Been on and off light snow for the past couple of hours but no noticeable amount has settled just a sugar coating ontop of what's here. The garden igloo is still very much intact though!

Posted

No how you're feeling mate, I've been chasing pish around on a radar screen for the last week watching streams set up everywhere but here, finally the winds turned favourable up the Thames for a couple of seconds this evening but now I'm back to watching Kent getting the big dollops and I'm scanning the streamer for flecks that my come way.

What a desperate exisitence, can we not get a direct Easterly for more than a minute? wallbash.gif

Know exactly how you feel mate, but we had out turn last February. Also it is only weather...

Posted

No how you're feeling mate, I've been chasing pish around on a radar screen for the last week watching streams set up everywhere but here, finally the winds turned favourable up the Thames for a couple of seconds this evening but now I'm back to watching Kent getting the big dollops and I'm scanning the streamer for flecks that my come way.

What a desperate exisitence, can we not get a direct Easterly for more than a minute? :wacko:

I hear your pain GSHCL, here's hoping it's our turn next time around.

Posted

I hear your pain GSHCL, here's hoping it's our turn next time around.

I feel your pain (especially watching you bang your head on that wall :wacko:) as the same situation down here, everywhere gets snow but Bognor.

Posted

Heavy snow here atm, but doesn't look like it will last judging by the radar , thought there maybe a Thames streamer .... never know maybe more coming from Belgium/France possibly ...

Oh well logging off, up for work early wallbash.gif

gnite all pardon.gif

Edited by xentrix

Posted

ok.. ive got heavy snow here covering the thawed out wet rainy stuff from earlier... now the bbc/sky said today that this wasnt going to happen but also said that this was supposed to happen last night... i give up :wacko:

Posted

Still falling steadily here, also had a look at the current gfs run and Fri looked interesting, around 1800-2100 you have the atlantic air butting up against a small pool of cold air that has developed over the S/E..............but of course a long long way off

Posted

Well, it's been an interesting day...

the temperature has barely got above 1c and despite some obvious melting (mostly from cars, roofs and trees), there is still a lot of snow around - I measured 5.5 inches in my back garden. My road is still covered with snow and ice. The temp is heading back the down the right way as well now... Been a fiar bit of snizzle today and some sleetiness but a good heavy snow shower whilst walking with Mrs Plum and Master Plum in Priory Park.

The snizzle is sort of dusting the top of my car at the moment...

Posted

Just to tease us it's finally coming down. Anyone know how long we've got left of this?

on radar its just a heavy prolonged shower.. dying down this end now... but very surprising considering it was raining earlier.

Posted

No fighting now folks :wallbash::yahoo:

I can't find the OS map for my location (I'm sure the Medway Town have been mapped, so must be my stupidity) so am downloading google earth now

Thanks for all the answers though - v helpful

Only jesting. If you put your postcode into streetmap then zoom the notch above the street plan view the contours should be on there. I find most electronic altitude things aren't that precise (for example my gps app says 71ft when I'm actually 86) but google will probably be near enough fella

You mean you have not had enough already today, you must be buried by now

They are used to it in Croydon. All the buses are fitted with snow ploughs as standard down there.

Posted

on radar its just a heavy prolonged shower.. dying down this end now... but very surprising considering it was raining earlier.

Spot on unfortunately. Much lighter now. At least it's covered the roads again.

Posted

Good god, just looked out the window - wasnt expecting a covering of snow! Serves me right for feeling disheartened earlier during the day laugh.gif

However, after doing a lamp post watch, it looks to be snizzle falling in Bexleyheath now :angry:

Posted

Heavier Snow Here Right Now clap.gifyahoo.gif

You must be the only person in Croydon covered under about 15 ft of snow by now, surely?

Posted

Still snowing moderately in Iwade. Road, trees and cars covered again in a very gently E wind. Nice suprise.

My wife and I went up the road to the N Downs above Detling for a walk and the trees were covered in rime from the low cloud. Some of the drifts at the top of the scarp slope were incredible, at least 6-8' deep with snow boarders jumping off them. No thaw at all at the top.

We then drove along the A20 to Harrietsham which must have been in the sweet spot yesterday. An incredible amount of snow (I'd say a good 3-4" more than at the top of Detling Hill!) Looked like close on a foot of snow weighing down trees and shrubs along the road and that was during the slow thaw!

No wonder the A20 between Lenham and Charing was blocked, there was drifting snow 2 days ago and that was before yesterdays deluge and strong NE winds.

Temp 0.5c

James

Posted

OK folks,my laptop battery is about to die so I bid you all good night. Quite a fun evening with these unpredicted snow showers popping up

I hope you all wake up in the morning with the amount of snow you're hoping for :angry:

Barmybint (who now believe herself to be approx. 120m ASL) :)