Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

rain today is showing showers as hail for us, but it's falling as snow

It's reverted back to the standard radar image. Their free 'offer' ended last night. It's now just showing where the ppn is.

We've had an inch of fresh snow overnight, probably in a continuous stream of very fine snow!

It's still snowing too, temp is currently 0.4º and DP -0.6º with the winds gusting up to 12mph

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Hi all, snowed continuously through last night, gave us another 3cms cover this morning. Much wetter and heavier snow than last Tuesday. Got about 1/2 a mile going to work before having to turn back, and leave my car at the edge of the village where I live. Absolute chaos on the roads. No buses because they're getting stuck on the hills coming into the village, cars blocking roads actually in the village. And it seems to be coming down harder than it was earlier.

Just found out that 1 of my friends has written her car off in an accident on her way to school. She was fine, shaken up though - made it into school only to be told 10 minutes ago that they were shutting because staff couldn't get in. Gutted for her!

Actually, on a slightly different note - where is this strong Easterly wind that everyone forecast? We didn't seem to get any of that last night, and its falling straight today, much like last Tuesday when we got a right dumping.

Posted

3-4cm of new snow ovenight.- much wetter snow than we've been used to though.

Still caused traffic / bus mayhem and took missus 2 hrs in to central Leeds.mad.gif

Temp 0.9c and snowing lightly with occ moderate intensity.

Anyone agree the BBC / Meto got this badly wrong again ?

3-4cm of new snow ovenight.- much wetter snow than we've been used to though.

Still caused traffic / bus mayhem and took missus 2 hrs in to central Leeds.mad.gif

Temp 0.9c and snowing lightly with occ moderate intensity.

i agree strongly tht they have been shocking in the last few days! even paul hudson! And i like the fact very much last night tht rob mclwee admitted tht many experienced forecasters got it wrong!! stopped here. foggy n about 0/1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Hi all, snowed continuously through last night, gave us another 3cms cover this morning. Much wetter and heavier snow than last Tuesday. Got about 1/2 a mile going to work before having to turn back, and leave my car at the edge of the village where I live. Absolute chaos on the roads. No buses because they're getting stuck on the hills coming into the village, cars blocking roads actually in the village. And it seems to be coming down harder than it was earlier.

Just found out that 1 of my friends has written her car off in an accident on her way to school. She was fine, shaken up though - made it into school only to be told 10 minutes ago that they were shutting because staff couldn't get in. Gutted for her!

Actually, on a slightly different note - where is this strong Easterly wind that everyone forecast? We didn't seem to get any of that last night, and its falling straight today, much like last Tuesday when we got a right dumping.

Yes, possibly most disruptive fall so far this cold spell. Village pretty much inaccessible at present, deep drifts (4-6 ft on our lane, so likely to be significantly more up on the higher side of the village), and it's still snowing now with no sign of any melt - temp. -1.1C. Needless to say I'm working from home today !

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Currently about 5-6cm's of snow here, but its still snowing (small flakes but very fast falling).

The local Primary took the decision to shut just at start of school time.. While the local high school of which most get bus'ed in is staying open - in the shear hope that some of the buses can make it. Really does seem like everythings starting to breakdown now.

Posted

Temp here has stayed at -0.5°C since yesterday evening. It's been snowing steadily for about eighteen hours - thankfully very fine stuff so accumulation overnight is only about 5cm.

I haven't been keeping an account of the snowfall over the past few days but estimate it will be now close to a couple of feet overall. The streamer over Sheffield looks set to continue for the rest of the morning

Not really, they warned of disruption from the snow tonight. The warnings were correctly downgraded, 5cm-10cm at most instead of the 20cm they forecast originally. Paul Hudson warned of potentially disruptive conditions as snow developed inland overnight (which it did). Those who ventured out this morning only to turn back because of the snow should not have ventured out at all IMO, unless it was absolutely necessary.

Edited by CAPE-steve

Posted

the thaw has melted all the snow here ( well we are on the north sea coast ). I miss the snow all ready cray.gif

Edited by clee_snow

Posted

I live in Grange Moor, Nr Emley, Huddersfield and we have had constant snow since 5pm last night and still coming down as I type. Fed up of the stuff now, as once again I cannot get out of my road :diablo:

Posted

Well im surprised really! the slushy snow that settled on the cars is still there so hasnt melted much at all!

Snow cover seems to have stopped thawing now!

Today is 7days worth of snow cover :diablo:

Edited by Craigers

Posted

Well im surprised really! the slushy snow that settled on the cars is still there so hasnt melted much at all!

Snow cover seems to have stopped thawing now!

Today is 11days worth of snow cover :diablo:

Nice pic mate and 11 days of snow cover here, but there's not too much left here now :diablo:

Posted

It rained almost all night here which lead to a massive melting of the snow we had. We've just managed a half cover at 0900 so by the Metoffice rules its 10 consecutive snow days. Its almost gone now though.

Current temperature is 2.6C after a min last night of 1.5C.

Posted

Temps still surpressed here in SE Sheffield at 0.2 ... very light snow continues.

Where in SE are you?

+1.6 in Anston

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It's been snowing continuously, if mainly lightly, for 24 hours here and there's been thick freezing fog for the last 20 hours. Everything not covered in snow is covered in 0.5 to 1cm of rime.

Mean depth of undrifted snow is now 25cm.