Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

did anyone see the local looknorth forecast!???? says max temps of 1-2c all week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny Days - Snow - Warm, Dry Days, Thunderstorms

It's been consistant, persistant fine snow since last night. but it's managed to put down approaching 2 inches now!

I just can't see where it's coming from, the radar is indicating it should have fizzled out above us several times, but it still comes!:lol:

it's 0.6ºc with a DP of -0.4ºc

when will it end!!

Posted

Will this freeze again tonight? Would be shocking on the roads if it did!

I don't think it will to be honest . Temps look like being between 2-4c. Although it does appear to get colder the further West you are :lol:

Posted

Ive just been for a walk through central park, and there's still quite a bit of snow left.

Yeah that's very good mate :lol: I thought you'd have built a snowman whilst you were there :lol:

Posted

Yeah that's very good mate :lol: I thought you'd have built a snowman whilst you were there :lol:

It's a miserable day mate thats for sure, but at least the wind has eased a lot today, so it doesn't feel anywhere near as cold compared to yesterday.

Posted

It's a miserable day mate thats for sure, but at least the wind has eased a lot today, so it doesn't feel anywhere near as cold compared to yesterday.

Yeah, It certainly is. I'm not a big fan of these cool and cloudy Easterlies. I much prefer sunshine and

convective showers :lol:

Posted

Yeah, It certainly is. I'm not a big fan of these cool and cloudy Easterlies. I much prefer sunshine and

convective showers :)

Yeah i agree.saturday was great, as one minute the sun was shining and the next it was a whiteout :unsure:

How many successive days of snowcover have you had now mate?

Posted

Some Pics of the snow in Sheffield.

The city centre has a covering of a few inches still but just go out of the centre and you are greeted with scences like those below.

It's been snowing all morning / afternoon here - light to moderate. Sleet in the city centre now but still snow here, but the sort that makes existing snow melt a little now. Given the volume of snow after the warnings were downgraded, one can only imagine the scences here if the orignal warning had played out.unsure.gifcold.gif. These should give you a real idea of just how good things still are in Sheffield (out of the city centre).

The radr's been showing nothing most of the time - maybe its something to do with Sheffield being in an ideal location in this kind of set up for organ.... (whatever its called) lift.

Pics taken around crosspool area - just past the uniy.

Sheffield 160m

post-11224-12632256248928_thumb.jpg

post-11224-12632256397528_thumb.jpg

post-11224-12632256591528_thumb.jpg

post-11224-12632256727528_thumb.jpg

Posted

Yeah i agree.saturday was great, as one minute the sun was shining and the next it was a whiteout :unsure:

How many successive days of snowcover have you had now mate?

I'm not certain, but I know Ive had snowcover since well before Xmas. I was hoping to keep hold of

the snow here until the next batch arrives :) I'd say if it contiues to thaw at the current rate,

I should still have a good few days left.

Posted

Snowed this morning and left a cm or two. Been off and on all day but turned a little sleety. Temp been below 1c for much of the day. Currently 0.9c. Not been much of a thaw however the snow is turning wetter. Weirdly in worksop (which is 7miles away and only 30m lower) has had very little while we have done Ok. Temps remaining around 1c for the next few days according to the latest GFS. Will be interesting if all this freezes :unsure:

Posted

Some Pics of the snow in Sheffield.

The city centre has a covering of a few inches still but just go out of the centre and you are greeted with scences like those below.

It's been snowing all morning / afternoon here - light to moderate. Sleet in the city centre now but still snow here, but the sort that makes existing snow melt a little now. Given the volume of snow after the warnings were downgraded, one can only imagine the scences here if the orignal warning had played out.unsure.gifcold.gif. These should give you a real idea of just how good things still are in Sheffield (out of the city centre).

The radr's been showing nothing most of the time - maybe its something to do with Sheffield being in an ideal location in this kind of set up for organ.... (whatever its called) lift.

Pics taken around crosspool area - just past the uniy.

Sheffield 160m

Same here mate, snow not melting at all, in fact the temp is bang on at 0. Do you also have a very thick fog that has formed that seems to have left a layer of rime too on the trees?

Edited by Andy_Calafell_Sheffield

Posted

Hey guys, how is everyone.

Aint it weird how certain members from the Leeds area :) no names mentioned are no where to be seen when there's no snow involved haha, not exactly proper weather fanastics then.

Cold continuing for many, especially if you live on higher ground.

When the next batch comes, who knows. But below average temps for the for-seeable future, chance of a warm up by this weekend especially Sunday.

Hope you guy's keep your snow cover :) I'll do my best to get on the forums as often as possible, but i have a very busy week regarding business.

Speak soon

Posted

Aint it weird how certain members from the Leeds area :) no names mentioned are no where to be seen when there's no snow involved haha, not exactly proper weather fanastics then.

When the next batch comes, who knows. But below average temps for the for-seeable future, chance of a warm up by this weekend especially Sunday.

Hope you guy's keep your snow cover :) I'll do my best to get on the forums as often as possible, but i have a very busy week regarding business.

Speak soon

Leeds still here Lewis lol

Posted

Same here mate, snow not melting at all, in fact the temp is bang on at 0. Do you also have a very thick fog that has formed that seems to have left a layer of rime too on the trees?

Hi Andy,

Yes, I'm actually in Shireciffe myself -right on top of the hill. Its wierd to see the fine snow turning to sleet and then rain go down the hill. And your right as you come up, theres a mist but I think I'm a little lower than you are so I dont have the rime, there was rime around crosspool for sure.

Im looking forward to Wednesday now anticipating that snow to prehaps send a few showers ahead of it here. Again we will have a Southeast wind which helps us. If you look at the bbc graphics that are based on the NAE model they do show snow showers for Wednesday.

Steady

Posted

Aint it weird how certain members from the Leeds area tongue.gif no names mentioned are no where to be seen when there's no snow involved haha, not exactly proper weather fanastics then.

Hope you guy's keep your snow cover smile.gif I'll do my best to get on the forums as often as possible, but i have a very busy week regarding business.

Speak soon

Light snow at present hence the reply otherwise I wouldn't have....laugh.gif

Posted

Been out all day and have about 7cm of fresh snowfall. Since my last post at 6am the snow became heavy with big flakes, when I travelled to lower ground Leeds there was around 2cm of snow on the roads, compared to the 5cm on the roads up here. Most of the heavy PPN was in North Leeds where polonged moderate snowfall carried on for a few hours. The roads were in the typical gridlock with cars skidding all over, at one point a car was stuck in the middle of the road, there were large tail-backs across most of the main roads. It took me 3hours to get in, when it would usually take 1 hour.

Since then we have had very light sleet, the snow that fell earlier was extremely wet but it didn't thaw too much, the snow on the ground didn't thaw but with the snow been so wet it was easily dripping of the trees and cars etc. Max of 0.3c today, currently 0.2c with thick fog.

Posted

Well turned out to be a good event last night! biggrin.gif

Went to bed at around 12:30 when it was lightly sleeting outside with a temperature of 0.9C, but by around 1:30pm the temperature had fallen to 0.4C with mod/heavy snow starting to settle on all surfaces! ohmy.gifbiggrin.gif , it just wasnt quite perfect though, if id have been just 250 ft higher, the temperature wouldnt have risen above freezing and everything that fell would of accumulated. So rather than getting 7/8cm I got around 3cm. Not complaining though laugh.gif , in ilkley where I work (150ft lower), most of the snow was turning slushy and they didnt get much last night..

After work went for a drive to the top of the otley chevin, on the very tops (1000ft) it was another world, around 3" fresh snow, no drzzle and old lane at the top was closed ohmy.gif, which there was a film crew filming, probably calender or sumat... If Paul Hudson had of been there, id have pulled over and questioned him over his poor forecasts! dirol.gif ....

Guna go for a ride to greenhow (1450ft) tomorrow, just on the north/west yorkshire border, should be a very interesting drive! smile.gif

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

Very little thaw here too. The roads and pavements are horrific - slippery snow and slush which is as dangerous as the ice was. Let's see what tonight brings. So far, freezing fog.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Well turned out to be a good event last night!

.......it just wasnt quite perfect though, if id have been just 250 ft higher, the temperature wouldnt have risen above freezing and everything that fell would of accumulated. So rather than getting 7/8cm I got around 3cm.

After work went for a drive to the top of the otley chevin, on the very tops (1000ft) it was another world, around 3" fresh snow, no drzzle and old lane at the top was closed

I can confirm you are absolutely correct in that regard Jed ! I posted a few pics ->

Guna go for a ride to greenhow (1450ft) tomorrow, just on the north/west yorkshire border, should be a very interesting drive!

Do you own a snowmobile then ???

I took a few pics of some depths whilst I was out -

First one is our garden bench, this is quite exposed to the wind so doesn't accumulate that well:

post-2239-12632330874028_thumb.jpg

These two were taken on the outside benches in front of the pub, and haven't been cleared since the partial thaw after Xmas:

post-2239-12632330853328_thumb.jpg post-2239-12632330902828_thumb.jpg

So I would reckon a decent average is 12", a good round foot of laying snow. Not bad really.