Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Plenty of snow around here still. Also thawing ice in our front fall pipe from the roof and bay window has revealed a destroyed collector trough. Wondered why the drip drip got louder. :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Freezing drizzle here everything covered in ice very dangerous. Going to be great if that carrie son all day.

Posted

Morning Guys..

Well snow thawing fairly quickly, left with slush until last night, took dog out and it was like Dancing On Ice.

Anyone want to have a go at predicting whats going to happen to the stuff thats moving northwards? Will it, wont it affect us.

Posted

Good Morning

Terrible black ice this morning.

I set off for work but have turned back,cars skidding all over and bumping into one another.

Saw one car sliding down the hill with nobody in it:unsure:

Take care all x

Posted

Altitude and distance from the coast have made a major difference. Almost all of the snow is gone here despite the fact we havent reached higher than 2.8C yet this month. I suspect with 50-100m of altitude we'd be looking at temperatures no more than 2C and a retention of cover. It just shows how marginal things have been.

You're absolutely right there. Only takes a very modest altitude to sometimes make a massive difference.

Another factor is aspect for hanging on to snow cover.

The next village is 4 miles SE down the valley at 30m, yet the valley is wide there and we get significantly more snow which lasts a lot longer. We're a deep N-S valley and hold onto snow longer than surrounding hills quite frequently. eg post Christmas.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

As Pit says its as dodgy as, this morning, S17. Freezing drizzle now coating everything in Ice.

Its doing that here and settling on the snow cover. Gives a really wierd feeling when you see a area where the snow has been cleared, but yet now its far more dangerous than the areas with snow! Given we have cleared a path outside our back door it makes it a bit difficult to get out the house.

Posted

No Snow falling here yet, but really dangerous black ice everywhere.

Still Snow on the ground since 17th December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

It's very sureal up here, we still have loads of snow cover and had a slight thaw yesterday. This morning all the trees are frozen solid with the ice from the melt, snow on the ground is frozen alongside the black ice everywhere. I have never heard trees crunch before, it looks magical just like narnina, but seems deadly. The main road up to where I live is closed by an accident, I have not attempted to do the school run, and talking to my friend next door (her hubby is a policeman) there are lots of accidents allover sheffield. Will try and get some shots of the creaky ice trees in a bit.

Looking at the radar it seems that the snow is edging ever closer to sheff, just to add to the chaos

Posted

Freezing rain here too. absolutely appalling conditions. Never seen anything like this before!

Posted

It's like an ice rink here in Hx, loads of accidents even on main roads. Myschool closed though so i'm fairly content. Does anyone think the snow will get this far?whistling.gif

Posted

It's like an ice rink here in Hx, loads of accidents even on main roads. Myschool closed though so i'm fairly content. Does anyone think the snow will get this far?whistling.gif

I believe it will, I'm not sure that it will be particularly heavy though. :acute:

Posted

I'll be surprised if the PPN reaches me,but it's only light anyway.Hopefully another cold spell from the east

in a weeks time :acute:

Posted

Possibly the worst journey this yar so far.

Black ice and cars skating all over the place.

Jed from Otley - just spent an hour (yes an hour mad.gif ) getting down the chevin in to Otley. Sheet ice and was starting to snow at the top 800FT ASL.

There's several cars gon for a burton up n down there already !!!! AVOID

Posted

Freezing rain here too. absolutely appalling conditions. Never seen anything like this before!

was like that here on christmas night everywhere was coverd in about 2inch of ice from freezing rain i slipped over twice walking home that night :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

I'm in Nottingham today, and the Journey from Louth was absolutely appalling, with drizzle freezing on contact with almost everything. Nottingham is a death trap this morning, littered with minor accidents.

Posted

Hi, wow I can believe that, horrendous conditions this morning! shok.gif.

On my way out this morning, put one foot on the steps, the next thing Im on my backside in the full view of traffic queing along leeds road! cray.gifdoh.gif God knows how long it would take to get to leeds from otley this morning..

I think we may see a little snow later, maybe 1/2 centimeters. As I know the precipitation is mostly of sleet/snow, so with a temperature of 0C im expecting snow. If not freezing rain will have to do smile.gif

Edited by Jed Bickerdike

Posted

Really is awful conditions out there! Take extra care is having to venture out people.!

My car is an ice cube!

22177_260129994696_516004696_3064200_6434651_n.jpg

Edited by Sunset_Twilight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Freezing drizzle overnight turned to light snow by 0845. Dozens of minor traffic accidents around here, I think I'll give tree pruning a miss today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Calm warm and sunny 😎

very fine icy drizzle here. Roads like glass here, a car wrapped itself around a lamp post at the end of the road as i couldn't stop. :yahoo:

Posted

Fine icy drizzle at the moment,mind u that band of ppn is not quite at Barnsley yet.

Had a few cars skidding this am not realising its black ice!!

Waiting for school to ring, either because too icy or we get that snow.

Posted

Same here as-well, black ice on all the roads, with drizzle, temp is at -1.4c.

Posted

emperature 0.1°C

Humidity 91%

Dewpoint -1.2°C

must be loads of black ice out there! good job im not driving!