Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

This is heavier than i expected, everywhere is covering and looks like we might have a good couple of hours of it.

drinks.gif

Posted

It's frizzling here - 5 or 6 hours of this is going to be very boring :)

We have a squirrel in the garden digging holes in the snow for buried bird food - he's making a right mess of my still pristine snow cover !!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Turned back to snow here. So Snow ice then snow.

Posted

Cant believe tht no-one is talking about the potential we hav for saturday! bbc national and local are forecasting the potential for heavy snow sat!!

The GFS ppn chart for Saturday is certainly interesting, hopefully it will be rain - I need some respite !! I also need to get into town, = no chance if that falls as snow.

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Cant believe tht no-one is talking about the potential we hav for saturday! bbc national and local are forecasting the potential for heavy snow sat!!

Mets already issued a warning for that - in the form of heavy rain - 15-25mm's. If that happens flooding will be widespread anywhere there is still snow. In many ways got to hope it falls as snow, as almost a foot of snow we could deal with, but flooding and then it freezing in the night would really break the country.

Forgot to say, been snowing here now for 1 hour and a half, mostly moderate but was heavy for 20-30 minutes and is now starting to calm down back to moderate / almost light. Not left much extra snow though - only a cm at most.

Edited by cowdog

Mets already issued a warning for that - in the form of heavy rain - 15-25mm's. If that happens flooding will be widespread anywhere there is still snow. In many ways got to hope it falls as snow, as almost a foot of snow we could deal with, but flooding and then it freezing in the night would really break the country.

exactly who do you believe though! the amount of different forecasts and especailly the difference between itv n bbc is incredible!! bbc going for snow for us! meto different! gfs snow too, itv no.

Posted

Atm it doesn't look like too much a risk, most likely to be rain. Having said that 3 days ago it looked 100 % rain, the chances of snow are slowly increasing by each run, this is because the milder air is becoming less pronounced by each run, I would say we have a 20% chance of snow going by the latest GFS output. This is very slowly increasing, there is a definate chance of wintry weather to higher ground, but more a rain sleet and snow mixture.

Edited by 10123

Posted

cant believe it! its lightly snowing biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif very light though!

Greatsmile.gif

The front is really taking the ...., its taking forever, probably move 1 meter in the last hour.

Posted

cant believe it! its lightly snowing :) :) :D very light though!

Nice one mate, we still have that horrid rain/drizzle. It's almost a carbon copy of yesterday's weather

Posted

Nice one mate, we still have that horrid rain/drizzle. It's almost a carbon copy of yesterday's weather

its hard to tell but it floats when its falling and looks white but very very thin lol

Posted

Light Snow been falling here for about 30 minutes.Black ice everywhere that's untreated.

Posted

its deffo snow because my next door neighbours dark green car has a very slight dusting on it :)

Posted

This is heavier than i expected, everywhere is covering and looks like we might have a good couple of hours of it.

drinks.gif

:) Yeah it's light and small flakes but a good hour or two should give a nice covering.

Posted

I think if the precipitation were a little more intense, most of us would be seeing snow. I wonder whether

the situation will change this-evening mate

Posted

I think if the precipitation were a little more intense, most of us would be seeing snow. I wonder whether

the situation will change this-evening mate

im only 50m asl and its proper fine snow settling on wet cars! so tonight i should expect it to be snow everywhere :)

Posted

It's snowing (small grains) fairly heavily here, with a temperature of -0.6c.

Posted

It's snowing (small grains) fairly heavily here, with a temperature of -0.6c.

same and im on lower ground :)

could be like this for good 4hours!

Edited by Craigers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️

Light snow here, cars have a slight covering . roads are still like a death trap !

Buses were stuck up here this morning , one skidded and nearly smashed in to a wall:bomb:

post-10780-12633953281928_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Same here, steady small flakes coming down. This cold spell really is becoming quite significant for my location. It must be days now since my temp. gauge was showing a positive, I had to reset it on 10/01 and since then the max temp I've recorded is -0.1C, currently showing -1.9C. There has been absolutely no thaw since the 'milder' spell just after Xmas, so there will still be snow underneath that fell 19th-20th December, (I think that's when the first falls of this spell were for here), with current average depth standing at at least 12". As ever, a few pics as well:

A few from out of the upstairs window 15 mins ago:

post-2239-12633953939828_thumb.jpg post-2239-12633953975628_thumb.jpg post-2239-12633953810128_thumb.jpg

Just by way of comparison, this is the same view as the third one above, but with a lot less snow!:

post-2239-12633958417528_thumb.jpg

This is one I took last night, same view as the third pic above:

post-2239-12633953871228_thumb.jpg

This is our garden seat taken last night with flash:

post-2239-12633953840228_thumb.jpg

And lastly, a slightly strange phenomenon, but all our east facing windows are covered with a kind of icy bobbly layer, making them all look like toilet window glass !:

post-2239-12633953902828_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pennine Ten Foot Drifts

Posted

same and im on lower ground :)

could be like this for good 4hours!

Just been looking at the radar, and it would seem that we, further East, are still among the extremely light

stuff. So, hopefully, it will improve in the next hour or so :)

Posted

Just been looking at the radar, and it would seem that we, further East, are still among the extremely light

stuff. So, hopefully, it will improve in the next hour or so :)

it could pepp up a lil because the eastern side is starting to intensify very slight!