Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

even lower levels could see 1-3cm which is surprising!

Very true. Also, could bode well for places further south in the region as we could hold onto abit more intensity as it has no hilly areas to pass to get here ... there also seems to be a small disruption running close to the east which may produce abit more intensity too. Would be quite a surprise having a few extra cm's considering the cold spell is practically finished.

Posted

I'm delighted to report that I had about thirty seconds worth of snow this evening. :rolleyes:

hehe yay! cant believe the dews here!

Temperature 0.7°C

Humidity 81%

Dewpoint -2.2°C

Posted

I'm delighted to report that I had about thirty seconds worth of snow this evening. :D

Very impressive mate, and you'll be able to build a snowman after that :shok:

Edited by sufc

Posted

Very true. Also, could bode well for places further south in the region as we could hold onto abit more intensity as it has no hilly areas to pass to get here ... there also seems to be a small disruption running close to the east which may produce abit more intensity too. Would be quite a surprise having a few extra cm's considering the cold spell is practically finished.

yeah will be nice to see all that slush turn a tad white again :shok:

just seen 18z charts and does look good!!!! is it plausible for that potential tomorrow? hows the Extra charts looking?

Posted

Very impressive mate, and you'll be able to build a snowman after that :shok:

Yes, I very nearly missed it :lol: It had been mostly light drizzle this evening until that heavier burst came along

I think the intesity of the precipition has been the difference today

hehe yay! cant believe the dews here!

Temperature 0.7°C

Humidity 81%

Dewpoint -2.2°C

Have you been getting this drizzle the same as I am mate?

Posted

Yes, I very nearly missed it :shok: It had been mostly light drizzle this evening until that heavier burst came along

Have you been getting this drizzle the same as I am mate?

yeah! its weird

Posted

Yes, I very nearly missed it :lol: It had been mostly light drizzle this evening until that heavier burst came along

I doubt that PPN further south will reach us,but we've had our fair share in the last 3 weeks or so :D

any more snow in the coming weeks would just be a bonus IMO :)

Posted

With the temps and dew points that you just posted, you must be a cats whisker away from the precipitation

falling as snow.

I doubt that PPN further south will reach us,but we've had our fair share in the last 3 weeks or so :lol:

any more snow in the coming weeks would just be a bonus IMO :D

haha very close indeed. Got to admit its looking good for tomorrow though or is it me?

Posted

Light flurries of snow and frozen drizzle gave a salting this afternoon.

Here are a few more pics from south west Sheffield from today.

post-1042-12633370210828_thumb.jpg

post-1042-12633370400028_thumb.jpg

post-1042-12633370730128_thumb.jpg

post-1042-12633370923328_thumb.jpg

post-1042-12633371398428_thumb.jpg

Posted

haha very close indeed. Got to admit its looking good for tomorrow though or is it me?

No, I agree, I think tomorrow has always looked a better bet than today.

Posted

I haven't seen any forecasts mate, but it would be great if we could get an easterly in around 10 days time :drinks:

encouraging model output today :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️

No, I agree, I think tomorrow has always looked a better bet than today.

I want more snow here:drinks:, but must admit geting a bit peeved about the kids schools closing or operating on shorter time.

In my day we went to school whatever the weather !!, we walked to school throwing snowballs at each other..blah blah and if the heating broke you had to put your coat on in lessons! [kids hate me telling that tale :drinks:, im only 33 btw!!!]

Posted

I haven't seen any forecasts mate, but it would be great if we could get an easterly in around 10 days time :drinks:

encouraging model output today :good:

yeah its so nice to have an upgrade for a slight covering tomorrow and then more colder solutions down the line for next week! i knew this would happen!

can confirm light snow mixed in the very slight drizzle :D just put on the flood light :)

Edited by Craigers

Posted

BBC suggesting moderate snowfall here in south Pennines tomorrow PM. We currently seem to have a little streamer over Sheffield but not much coming out of it.

Query: how do I edit my location in the sidebar - can't see a way to do it in the profile page.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️

BBC suggesting moderate snowfall here in south Pennines tomorrow PM. We currently seem to have a little streamer over Sheffield but not much coming out of it.

Query: how do I edit my location in the sidebar - can't see a way to do it in the profile page.

Click on your name [in top right/click my profile/ then click edit my profile]

I think this is what you mean :unsure:

Posted

On the plus side Temps & DP's are still lowering, so any precip that does arrive tomorrow should be snow even at lower levels :yahoo: .

Posted

On the plus side Temps & DP's are still lowering, so any precip that does arrive tomorrow should be snow even at lower levels :yahoo: .

yep and also settle with all this snow freezing up!

Posted

Click on your name [in top right/click my profile/ then click edit my profile]

I think this is what you mean :drinks:

Thanks - I've managed to change it.

Posted

Temperatures are indeed quite favourable now. Even here its 1.1C with a dewpoint of -0.8C. Assuming the precipitation is heavy enough and we dont pick up too much of a wind from an easterly vector even low lying areas could do well. Id still bet on rain/sleet near to the coast though.

Posted

Some snow here earlier this evening with another cm or so. Quite slushy roads on top of the Wolds.

Been to London on the train today and great to see snow cover, but not all the way. Only patches left South of Peterborough until you get some way into Hertfordshire, then a good cover all the way into Kings Cross.

And for those Westies who think that the Coasties don't get snow or drifts, it's only right on the coast. Here 10 miles inland there's still plenty of snow and drifts around and a lot of closures over the weekend with roads covered right across with 3 to 4 feet of snow. Quite remarkable considering the N Sea influence and barely over 1c since the rise Sat night. Accept you've got it colder now and we didn't catch the heaviest, but it was a good foot deep on the Wolds, but bring back the Northerlies and see how well we do then. :drinks:

Posted

Some snow here earlier this evening with another cm or so. Quite slushy roads on top of the Wolds.

Been to London on the train today and great to see snow cover, but not all the way. Only patches left South of Peterborough until you get some way into Hertfordshire, then a good cover all the way into Kings Cross.

And for those Westies who think that the Coasties don't get snow or drifts, it's only right on the coast. Here 10 miles inland there's still plenty of snow and drifts around and a lot of closures over the weekend with roads covered right across with 3 to 4 feet of snow. Quite remarkable considering the N Sea influence and barely over 1c since the rise Sat night. Accept you've got it colder now and we didn't catch the heaviest, but it was a good foot deep on the Wolds, but bring back the Northerlies and see how well we do then. :whistling:

Altitude and distance from the coast have made a major difference. Almost all of the snow is gone here despite the fact we havent reached higher than 2.8C yet this month. I suspect with 50-100m of altitude we'd be looking at temperatures no more than 2C and a retention of cover. It just shows how marginal things have been.

Posted

Altitude and distance from the coast have made a major difference. Almost all of the snow is gone here despite the fact we havent reached higher than 2.8C yet this month. I suspect with 50-100m of altitude we'd be looking at temperatures no more than 2C and a retention of cover. It just shows how marginal things have been.

i agree with you there! im 50m asl and still loads of snow around on the fields etc but near to the town center its melted alot!