Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 6

Posted

Hi Mrs M

i had exact same prob in the end i just turned around and came home all 3 boys off school again and im stuck at home as cant teach people to drive in this!!!

I was horrified when he phoned and told me - the kids weren't too freaked out and luckily there were no cars around otherwise he would have hit one but it's just not worth the risk. Will have to go and get my daughter later though ...

Probably good practice to learn to drive in this! LOL biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

whistling.gifIS IT ME BEING PICKY,OR HAS THE M/O MADE A COMPLETE MESS OF THIS, I KNOW PEOPLE SAY WELL ITS HARD TO GAUGE FORECASTS HERE BUT COME ON THEY JUST DO NOT UPDATE ON TIME,ETC.

PEOPLE ON HERE GIVE MORE ACCURATE FORECASTS.????????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

I was horrified when he phoned and told me - the kids weren't too freaked out and luckily there were no cars around otherwise he would have hit one but it's just not worth the risk. Will have to go and get my daughter later though ...

Probably good practice to learn to drive in this! LOL biggrin.gif

yep even more chaos when parents return to collect their children from school!!!!

have given a couple lessons in the snow quite a character building experiance if you know what i mean!!!

Anyone have an idea how long this snow will last?

Edited by meltz!

Posted
rofl.gif My Window cleaner has just been and done my windows!! hahaaha Well thats a wast of a few bob!! hahahaha Still waiting for the white stuff here, looking on meteox though it looks like it will break up before it gets here.

Posted

Snow is heavier here now. about an inch fallen so far :whistling:

Same here in the SW, how long to do you think it will take for the front to pass through? Temp here is +1.4c

Posted

looking at the radar ,it seems to be "back building" from the Reading area ? we are in for a good spell of this i tink ! yesw i know i put tink b4 ne1 saz anyfink

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Wouldn't it be great to get this weather every wednesday of the New Year in winter! :cold:

whistling.gifIS IT ME BEING PICKY,OR HAS THE M/O MADE A COMPLETE MESS OF THIS, I KNOW PEOPLE SAY WELL ITS HARD TO GAUGE FORECASTS HERE BUT COME ON THEY JUST DO NOT UPDATE ON TIME,ETC.

PEOPLE ON HERE GIVE MORE ACCURATE FORECASTS.????????

i think that the front has moved further east and maintained more of its intensity than the BBC were forecasting a couple of days ago or models were showing

Posted

Same here in the SW, how long to do you think it will take for the front to pass through? Temp here is +1.4c

It's not moving very fast really, hard to tell.

I'd underestimate it anyway. :cold:

Temp in Newport +0.7 Dewpoint -1.6

Edited by lizzieloo202

Posted

Wrong side of marginal here in East Herts - light snow, temp +0.4C, dp -0.8C but just wet and unpleasant. Surprised to see that there are so many reports of lying snow, even in Central London.

Posted

Wrong side of marginal here in East Herts - light snow, temp +0.4C, dp -0.8C but just wet and unpleasant. Surprised to see that there are so many reports of lying snow, even in Central London.

Steve...where exactly are you? Surprised to hear you're not getting anything. Usually if there's any place going to miss out I would have said it's us, but when I left for work this morning, quite late I'll admit, we'd had at least 3cm of snow and it was still falling in a light but persistent manner.

I'm now in the City and reckon that there's at least 2cm of lying snow here in ungriteed places.

Posted

Hi guys,

Here are some photos of todays snow, had approx an inch and it has covered the roads again. The snow is wet and it is thawing whilst it is still snowing. The local roads are pretty bad with people struggling to go anywhere. According to the shouting lady up the road, the main roads are clear now. :pardon:

post-6562-12633820338228_thumb.jpg

post-6562-12633820447628_thumb.jpg

post-6562-12633820544228_thumb.jpg

Edited by ickledoozer

Posted

Steve...where exactly are you? Surprised to hear you're not getting anything. Usually if there's any place going to miss out I would have said it's us, but when I left for work this morning, quite late I'll admit, we'd had at least 3cm of snow and it was still falling in a light but persistent manner.

I'm now in the City and reckon that there's at least 2cm of lying snow here in ungriteed places.

Strange - in Sawbridgeworth so not far at all but didn't start here until around 830 this morning and unfortunately temp just increased enough this morning for it not to settle. Had it started 2/3 hours earlier, I'm sure we'd have had a few cm's too.

Edited by Steve Edgefield

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Snowing here in Cambridge now - not expecting much but maybe a nice covering? Nearly everything has melted here from the last cold spell.

Posted

Meltz I live up near Vandyke but the kids are at school near you. I can't believe that the upper schools have now shut and a few middle schools but the lower schools are staying open. Ours seems determined to stay open til 3:15. It is madness out there on the roads and I have watched the Gilbert's kids on their way home slipping all over the paths. I am glad I decided not to take mine in today as 3pm will be chaos!

While I appreciate the schools trying to open I also think it is rather silly and forcing unnecessary traffic on already dangerous roads.

Posted

Just started raining in Peterborough........

rolleyes.gifshok.gifbad.gif

Humph... perhaps it will turn hehe

Posted

What is going on with the Met Office weather warnings? Our region is sticking right into the orange area but is still a stubborn yellow! cc_confused.gif

We have 3cms and still snowing. My daughter's school is open and my husband spun the car round 3 times while on the school run. He gave up on taking my son to nursery unsure.gif

Very snowy here in Chesham. I decided at 6.30 not to send my son to school as he has to go to Rickmansworth by train and if they pack up, my car is snowed in and he would be stranded.

Found out the school sent all the Chesham and other Chilterns kids straight home after registering.

Edited by SnowAngel

Posted

Strange - in Sawbridgeworth so not far at all but didn't start here until around 830 this morning and unfortunately temp just increased enough this morning for it not to settle. Had it started 2/3 hours earlier, I'm sure we'd have had a few cm's too.

Steve, looking at raintoday I can see that we enjoyed quite a spell of "heavier" snow but that an amazing "clear finger" sprang up out of nowhere just to the north of us and to the south of Bishop's Storford so I'm guessing you must have been in this "finger". Look like that is really the front beginning to fizzle out so on this occasion we've been lucky to be just far south enough to catch it. It is still snowing back home, but very lightly now and I doubt it will stick around like last wednesday's snow did.

Posted

looks to be a slight thaw in Linslade ,its starting to drip water from my weather station outside

Current data for Linslade

13 January 2010 12:34:12

Temperature (°C):

Current 1.5

Trend (per hour) +0.5

Average today 0.3

Wind chill 1.5

Humidex -0.7

Dew Point -0.3

Rel Humidity 88%

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 0.7 SE

Average Speed 0.0 S

Rainfall (mm):

Current rate 0.0

Last hour 0.0

Total today 0.0

Total yesterday 0.0

Total this month 7.8

Total this year 7.8

Pressure (mb):

Current 1000.2

Trend (per hour) -0.1

Posted

Very snowy here in Chesham. I decided at 6.30 not to send my son to school as he has to go to Rickmansworth by train and if they pack up, my car is snowed in and he would be stranded.

Found out the school sent all the Chesham and other Chilterns kids straight home after registering.

Sounds like a wise decision. I'm beginning to wish I'd kept my daughter at home - not really looking forward to going to get her. Luckily my parents live around the corner from her school in Bourne End so they can always go and get her if I get stuck.

The tiny flakes of the last hour or so have pretty much stopped now. They didn't add much to the 3cms we had this morning. We still had a bit on the ground from last week so it's just topped up the cover. The trees look pretty again now though smile.gif