Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 6

Posted

The band is too light now for the guys in east anglia anyway.

We got a couple of cm in the East Mids and it's still snowing but it's so light that the snow is melting quicker than more can fall to replace it.

Posted

Surely Sawbo's had some now???!!!!

What I can't understand is that a band lying inbetween Stevange and Brentford looks to have intensified :lol:

Why would this be? Not that I'm complaining mind because Broxbourne's underneath it! :)

Indeed Timmy. Heaviest of the day here, but as the other Sawbo poster mentioned. The 3 or 4 hours of light snow kind of made it very wet here, so the snow is great to look at but not settling. I guess it would need a good hour of this intensity to get it settling.

Shame really, nice to see a heavier burst though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Indeed Timmy. Heaviest of the day here, but as the other Sawbo poster mentioned. The 3 or 4 hours of light snow kind of made it very wet here, so the snow is great to look at but not settling. I guess it would need a good hour of this intensity to get it settling.

Shame really, nice to see a heavier burst though.

You might just get that through merging bands... :lol:

Posted

You might just get that through merging bands... :)

:)

Heavier and it is settling in some places. Just south east and north east of my location looks like they are doing well from the radar echo's. There was the hint of red at 13:45 SE of here.

Posted

Think the snow's been and gone here. Having a bit of a thaw now.

It's going to be 4 degrees on Saturday!! Whoohooo *gets bikini out and lays towel on sunbed in preperation*

Posted

Think the snow's been and gone here. Having a bit of a thaw now.

It's going to be 4 degrees on Saturday!! Whoohooo *gets bikini out and lays towel on sunbed in preperation*

Can I come and watch :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Well it finally seems to have stopped after about 10 hours of alternating between light snow and snizzle, which hasen't really amounted to much more than another 2cm on top of what we had already got. There have been some signs of a very slight thaw in the last hour but I expect things will soon start to freeze up again and make for some interesting drives home for some people this evening. I had to go out this morning for a meeting at 11am and thought the roads were the worst they have been so far (even our sub post office was closed as staff had failed to get in, which was annoying as I really needed to get there today) I saw a couple of abandoned cars, lots of skid marks and one person had driven all the way up a hill on the grass verge! One of the people at the meeting left only to slide across the car park and crash into the gates, lucky no one was hurt just a dent in her car!

It has been nice to see the snow falling in daylight hours, (saved the eye strain watching lamposts), even though the flakes have been disappointingly small.

Looks like this is it for a little while with the 'relatively warmer' weekend on the cards, unless of course one of you knows something different !

oops.gif Shouldn't have spoken so soon - it's just started to snizzle again !

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Well it finally seems to have stopped after about 10 hours of alternating between light snow and snizzle, which hasen't really amounted to much more than another 2cm on top of what we had already got. There have been some signs of a very slight thaw in the last hour but I expect things will soon start to freeze up again and make for some interesting drives home for some people this evening. I had to go out this morning for a meeting at 11am and thought the roads were the worst they have been so far (even our sub post office was closed as staff had failed to get in, which was annoying as I really needed to get there today) I saw a couple of abandoned cars, lots of skid marks and one person had driven all the way up a hill on the grass verge! One of the people at the meeting left only to slide across the car park and crash into the gates, lucky no one was hurt just a dent in her car!

It has been nice to see the snow falling in daylight hours, (saved the eye strain watching lamposts), even though the flakes have been disappointingly small.

Looks like this is it for a little while with the 'relatively warmer' weekend on the cards, unless of course one of you knows something different !

well bbc national forecast hinted that the east may a slight chance of wintery conditions at the weekend, but the local bbc forecast just said warmer and rain...........as usual what do you believe?? Havent a clue any more!!tease.gif

Edited by meltz!

Posted

Perhaps a potential for a bit more from a band that's intensifying and moving due East from North West of London.

On another thread Kold was talking about the possibility of freezing fog tonight which could hand around tomorrow, so the problems with ice might continue for a little longer...

Posted

It's been snowing lightly now for TWO hours everywhere is very very slowly turning white and it's just suddenly gotten heavier too totally unexpected and caught a few out I expect

Posted

It may not have been to much but caused absolute chaos on the roads round here...... My van got rammed from behind twice this morning. The local council and Herts Highways can't be very proud of them selves, the only main road gritted in St. Albans was a small stretch of the high street, all other roads were gridlocked and had plenty of snow on them.

They only cleared up as they put snow ploughs out and rush hour passed, out of the town centre there has been hardly any thaw and has been snowing lightly in St. Albans nearly all day.

Luckily I managed to get to some local jobs around St. Albans, I had to help push a Police car this morning also!

Nice and icy for tomorrow morning then.......

Edited by saint

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

been watching this on and off for a few hours...

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

seems to be another front developing as it moves up over the coast of France... prob nothing and prob too warm for snow but who knows:unsure:

Posted

been watching this on and off for a few hours...

http://www.meteox.co...&soort=satradar

seems to be another front developing as it moves up over the coast of France... prob nothing and prob too warm for snow but who knows:unsure:

If it came up towards us, it would be night and temps would have started dropping so......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

well bbc national forecast hinted that the east may a slight chance of wintery conditions at the weekend, but the local bbc forecast just said warmer and rain...........as usual what do you believe?? Havent a clue any more!!tease.gif

I think freezing fog could be a possibillity but the most worrying is terrible road conditions when this lot freezes tonight, either way it's going to be pertty hazardous out there - I find it hard to believe the temperatures will get up as high as they are saying for the weekend, this is going to take some time to melt unless we get some very warm rain or God puts the central heating back on !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In Norwich it turned to sleet after a while, so a further slow thaw of what little slush we have left.

Posted

Our tiny flake snizzle snow had stopped and I was expecting nothing more - but went out on the school run and had about an hour of lovely decent sized flakes. Have gone small again now. I got back and looked at the radar and a little snake of heavier snow made it's way over South Bucks just at the right time smile.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations

Hi all

Well i noticed the snow at about 5.30am and continued until around 2.30pm ish. It was heavy in the early hours then light throughout the day, did look like it wanted to get heavy at times.

It took 45mins to get my son to school because of slow moving traffic!!! Every road we turned down was road block!! And to really take the p*** the school rang me at 12.03pm to let me know that they would be closing the school at 12.30pm!!!!!

Why do that?? the snow had melted from the roads and the paths were melting quick too!! Was it really worth sending the kids home, bet they feel silly now its stopped snowing and its all melting very quick!!

So whats do you think may happen at the end of next week? I've looked at a few weather sites and they say we may be in for more snow in these parts?! Thats if the cold snap can fend off the mild weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There is about 70% chance now, I think, of an easterly coming off next week, which should be cold enough to bring sunshine and snow showers, assuming that it gets far west enough to establish over Britain (bear in mind that there's still 30% chance that it won't).

But it could be a very slack affair with just a few flurries about near the east coast, so I can't make any promises at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Hi all

Well i noticed the snow at about 5.30am and continued until around 2.30pm ish. It was heavy in the early hours then light throughout the day, did look like it wanted to get heavy at times.

It took 45mins to get my son to school because of slow moving traffic!!! Every road we turned down was road block!! And to really take the p*** the school rang me at 12.03pm to let me know that they would be closing the school at 12.30pm!!!!!

Why do that?? the snow had melted from the roads and the paths were melting quick too!! Was it really worth sending the kids home, bet they feel silly now its stopped snowing and its all melting very quick!!

So whats do you think may happen at the end of next week? I've looked at a few weather sites and they say we may be in for more snow in these parts?! Thats if the cold snap can fend off the mild weather.

hi Boo

Here in leighton buzzard we had the same, school insisted that it would be open normal times only to send the children home at lunchtime.......I did attempt to take boys in but gave up after 200yards!!! Glad I did now

As for what is coming next i imagin it is anyones guess as forecasts change from one broadcast to the next!!! starting to freeze up here in leighton Buzzard!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and cloud formations

Just gone to put the dinner on and noticed its snowing again, just the light stuff.

hi Boo

Here in leighton buzzard we had the same, school insisted that it would be open normal times only to send the children home at lunchtime.......I did attempt to take boys in but gave up after 200yards!!! Glad I did now

As for what is coming next i imagin it is anyones guess as forecasts change from one broadcast to the next!!! starting to freeze up here in leighton Buzzard!!

I no what you mean, you watch the weather in the morning and by the afternoon its all changed!!!

The temp here is just below freezing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

There is about 70% chance now, I think, of an easterly coming off next week, which should be cold enough to bring sunshine and snow showers, assuming that it gets far west enough to establish over Britain (bear in mind that there's still 30% chance that it won't).

But it could be a very slack affair with just a few flurries about near the east coast, so I can't make any promises at the moment.

thats better odds than you gave 2 days ago only 30% then, interesting 3 - 4 days see what happens?????

Edited by silver line