Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Snowed on an off all afternoon here… went into Newmarket shopping and it was hardly settling at all just because even a slightly raised UHIE in town makes that difference, but just a few miles out in the countryside it was settling on trees and hedges.

In all, we got another 2 cm which I thought would thaw, but notice the temperature's dropped back below freezing -0.1 ° C so it will stay put. I've realized we've had lying snow for 2 weeks now and it would be 4 weeks continuous snow cover if it hadn't thawed just after Christmas — not bad.

Posted

Richard Cockcroft forecast wide spread rain for tomorrow....yeurch...I hate snow being washed away by rain. Gradual thaw, lovely. Rain just plain depressing and dangerous.

Mind you, the Met office and Netweather local forecast both had rain all day for this area and we have had a few inches of lovely fresh snow !

Hi Boo

I'm in Luton as well and it was a similar story for me, school called and said can you pick up your son!

I'm currently 38 weeks pregnant as well, so haven't been able to get out.

What makes me really happy is that I love the snow, and have had to miss out on annual ski trip, so it more than makes up for it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Back to good british weather,Depressing rain GREATunsure.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

Has now been lightly snowing now since 5.00pm and is settling slightly. I can now see ice crystals falling in the streetlights - pretty but does not bode well on the roads tomorrow. It seemed to come out of nowhere and just hang around the wash

Posted

If there is any rain tonight it will be freezing rain, which is more dangerous than snow! Lots of precip in the channel and some intense bursts, which if crossed our region would fall as sleet / snow in heavier bursts especialy away from coasts with some elevation. Fax for Sat is edging in the right direction for snow on higher ground (Chilterns) on Sat - http://www.wzkarten3.de/pics/brack3.gif. My current feeling is for some sleet at lower levels and Snow on high ground to the north of the region but it may be a blink and you miss it affair.

Re next week and beyond - My current punt would be cold again by Tues with a few light snow showers before a break down at the end of the week with snow on the leading edge. There will then be 1/2 weeks of milder weather (atlantic dominated) before cold returns at the begining of Feb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Foggy start to the day, overnight low temp of 0.4c. Current temp of 0.4c and dewpoint of -1.2c. Ppn heading this way from the SE

Posted

ohhh i hadn't seen this and its heading for Luton, but will it be rain or snow i wonder........... rolleyes.gif

It's rain nonono.gifcray.gif

Posted

Thick fog this morning, temperature around 1c with a dew point of -1c (outside my house).

Looks like the rain will make the travel situation worse today, washing away snow and leaving the less visible and extra slippy ice underneath.

Edited by ickledoozer

Posted

Fellow Sawbridgeworth posters please confirm that in the heavy shower now 10.50am. Large snow flakes are mixed in. Or am I just seeing things.

Posted

What a miserable day.

Pouring with rain here but the temps are currently 0C. This is making it feel particularly unpleasant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Fellow Sawbridgeworth posters please confirm that in the heavy shower now 10.50am. Large snow flakes are mixed in. Or am I just seeing things.

I had to look twice just now... about 1 percent of the precip here is falling as snow. temp at +1.5 c Very slow melt, very messy out there - postie not happy today.

Edited by shadowcat

Posted

I can't believe how much lying snow is still about, with all the rain and sleet recently (light snow yesterday afternoon), and slightly less cold temps, there is still easily well in excess of 50% snow cover, although that may change the rest of today and over night - almost two weeks lying snow now I think!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Less than 50% cover at UEA now.

Posted

Hi Guys

Just to let you know the Regional Threads will be Closed at around Midnight tonight and a General Cold Spell Discussion for the Whole Uk Will be Opened at the same time.

Regards

Paul S

Posted

Hi Guys

Just to let you know the Regional Threads will be Closed at around Midnight tonight and a General Cold Spell Discussion for the Whole Uk Will be Opened at the same time.

Regards

Paul S

Boooooo!!!

Posted

Awww we only just got our own thread too.. does that mean we have to mingle with those SE-ers again?? hehheheheh

Posted

Thank you for giving us our own thread, if only for a brief time. We Three County folk usually end up in a no man's land limbo on weather forecast maps.

Perhaps next time we have a big snow 'event' (hate that term) we can have our thread back?

Posted

Less than 50% cover at UEA now.

Well the UEA is a rather small area to be fair (huge swathes of which are concrete), however if you take a look at the fields surrounding the UEA, they are covered in snow (or at least were this morning).

Edited by ribster