Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Just been told it's settling in Southend now :)

Not in Southchurch it isn't. Persistent snizzle just making the ground wet.

Sooner this band clears through the better. I hate this sort of weather!

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Snizzle ! :)

Posted

Have been informed Gatwick closed to outbound flights until 10.30am and inbound flights until midday!

Yes I can see the runway from my 7th Floor perch and there have been no flights in or out, still snowing moderately here as well! Looks to be about 6 or 7 cm now, second biggest fall this winter after last weeks fall! :) They won't start to clear the airport until the snow stops, so not for another couple of hours at least looking at the radar.

Posted

I am really shocked at the amount of snow that has fallen in Brighton and Hove

I would say it is nearly on par with last Wednesday

:) I was really expecting sleet and slush so this was a surprise, still snowing so not sure how long before it stops and the thaw starts.

The misses walked to work this morning, she works by commercial road so cold old trek for her!

Good grief, that's quite a trek in these conditions, hope she has some warm boots!

Posted

Could be an interesting situation developing towards the weekend for the far se, the high to the east looks like attempting to back west, we may see a shortwave developing to the west and heading se wards this may allow some colder upper air back towards the far se which could mix in with some of the rain, just a low probability at the moment.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

Could be an interesting situation developing towards the weekend for the far se, the high to the east looks like attempting to back west, we may see a shortwave developing to the west and heading se wards this may allow some colder upper air back towards the far se which could mix in with some of the rain, just a low probability at the moment.

funny you say that Nick, because yesterday i was mentioning about possible snow on saturday that the BBC was showing in its graphics. its now showing it as rain, but i wonder....... :)

Posted

I heard this mentioned before. Sounds like our thaw may take even longer!

Nothing would suprise me this winter so i'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the update.

Meso

Posted

funny you say that Nick, because yesterday i was mentioning about possible snow on saturday that the BBC was showing in its graphics. its now showing it as rain, but i wonder....... :)

Well it's a low chance at the moment but if the models underestimate the block even at short range there maybe a surprise or two, the cold surface flow looks very close to the se.The gfs 06hrs run looks interesting so far!

Edited by nick sussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

:nonono: I was really expecting sleet and slush so this was a surprise, still snowing so not sure how long before it stops and the thaw starts.

Good grief, that's quite a trek in these conditions, hope she has some warm boots!

She looked like a little Eskimo as she walked off down the road! Just run my blinking car battery out again trying to start it up, looks like im not going to make the hospital today, ho hum. Looks like we have 10/15 mins left before the snow stops now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

coming down heavier now in Bexleyheath! my ungritted side road on a hill is white!

Posted

This event is arguably better than last Tuesday for London. Temps then were 0.8, now they are -0.3! The winds are stronger with some drifting. We have a couple of inches and it is still snowing. :nonono:

Posted

coming down heavier now in Bexleyheath! my ungritted side road on a hill is white!

my daughters school (st catherines) in watling street is still open, whats the chances they stay open and my girls have trouble getting home :nonono: seems all the schools in Bexley close except their one :cray:

Posted
If they had looked at their own NAE model then they would have known it was going to snow right down to sea level here and put out the appropriate warning rather than missing B&H off. The roads are treacherous here with a layer of snow on top of ice.

I agree, I normally defend the UKMO, but the lack of warnings for this system is indefensible. Looking at the radar last night about midnight, I honestly could not believe that the MO had no issued anything in the way of guidance...did they take the night off!?! Were they snowed in down there in Exeter? I am really starting to lose faith in their predictions and guidance. What use are warnings being issued *as* the event takes place?!

Edited by mwhalber

Posted

Miss Shoreline has called, took her 80 minutes to get the 5 miles to work in Hailsham! She's shutting the office at lunchtime and coming home for hot soup. Master Shoreline set off enthusiastically for the gym in his car and returned 5 minutes later having scared himself at the Langney Roundabout, I think the car spun 180 degrees so he decided to keep driving forward and come home!

Posted

Lovely here

All white covering everywhere in East London...Still light snow coming down

Temp only 0

DP -1

WChill -3

Still getting an ENE wind too

Been a real great end to this cold spell and to be honest walking to work today it was still

colder than I thought it would be this morning. :yahoo:

Edited by ChartViewer

Posted

Looks like the same areas that have been hit hard recently are once again getting a decent blow...here snow is melting on contact now as temps rise, still settling on the grass and ice patches however showing temps are still just about good enough for settling snow, that should change in the next hour or so...

Posted

Snizzle in Dover... but nothing heavy enough to settle on bare surfaces... I don't hold my hopes up!

Posted

Looking at the reports from Paul and others further east I've been rather lucky with the front arriving just in time for the temps to still be cold enough for some settling to occur, however best conditions did conincide with the fronts arrival to the west of London....yet again....you guys are certainly making up for any lack of snow in the last decade during these last 12 months or so!

Posted

Looking at the reports from Paul and others further east I've been rather lucky with the front arriving just in time for the temps to still be cold enough for some settling to occur, however best conditions did conincide with the fronts arrival to the west of London....yet again....you guys are certainly making up for any lack of snow in the last decade during these last 12 months or so!

Indeed. Plenty of snow in Ealing

Posted

Indeed. Snizzle turned to light snow now. But as you say melting on impact. Grass turning a shade of white, other than that, it's a nuisance.

This however has cheered me right up...

180-7.GIF?13-6

Don't want to jinx it, but winter over? Is it hell!

:whistling:

Posted

morning all, Loads of snow here 7 cm!! on top of our 12cm we had left. its brilliant. Yippeeeeee!! (the Meto office/ BBC need a good telling off!)

Edited by Westsussex1