Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Snow amounts everyone??????

1cm here

5cms of fresh snow here and rising. Its very fine flakes but has been falling moderately since about 3am. Main roads are a slushy mess but traffic is slowing up noticeably as the rush hour builds.

Posted

not much more than 2cm here but the roads are terrible. Even though the amounts haven't been huge it sounds like travel around Sussex is not good with loads of accidents and stuck traffic (Gritter stuck in Wivelsfield (near Burgess Hill)).

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Got 3-4cm of fresh snow so far, looks like this band of light snow will be slow to move, still sat over Kent at midday today according to NAE and GFS.

A very fine snow falling, current temp -1.1°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Morning all :-)

What a nice surprise this morning, expected a dusting and woken up to approx 2-3 inches of laying snow, topped up the 6inches still laying from last week !

Hubby decided to leave for work at 7am, and 10mins ago got a call to say he was stuck at the end of our road...son now gone prepared with shovel,carpet etc to help him get free !!

A neighbour put it in perspective..."is going out a life or death situation..if not why are you travelling" A good point I feel, so I'm staying here and am not even going to attempt the 28mile journey I normally face getting to work !!!

Stay safe everyone :-)

Awww Cranleigh! loadsa my family live there, infact i spent a lot of time growing up there!

Posted

Grey skies and drying out nicely here in Rochford wallbash.gif

Yep. Doesn't seem to want to come our way!

It's hardly moved in the last 2 hrs.

Posted

Awww Cranleigh! loadsa my family live there, infact i spent a lot of time growing up there!

Good old Cranleigh, I used to go to Glebelands School there.

starting to fizzel out now. 3 inches added. Bit fed up though as cant work again and Im self employed so not good. I have enjoyed it but looking forward to the thaw now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

3cm here this morning, reading off my neighbours cleared bin, my patience and optimism have been rewarded. Started around 2.30 I believe, very fine flakes but a lot of them, struggling slightly to keep a covering on my pavement slabs at the back for some reason but enough here for a fun journey to work, so much better than a thaw... :D

Bigger flakes now...

Edited by dubmuffin

Posted

Boyfriend is travelling from Worthing to Cranleigh for work and texted to say stuck on A24.

Reports of accidents and roads blocked due to vehicles skidding are coming in every minute across Sussex!

Posted

The perfect morning for me Temp in Biggin Hill -1.6c Fine dry alpine snow falling covering the 6ins of snow still lying making it about 8ins on the grass. Icicles hanging from the roof dry crisp air I want to capture this day :air_kiss: :air_kiss:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

being snowing lightly here since 530am have about 1.5 cm. the band is not really moving at all on the radar so I think we could get a fair bit if it keeps going!

Posted

What a fantastic spell of wintry weather it's been so far!

Very cold, Severe frosts, 3 (or is it 4) spells of significant snowfall!

Although I was reminded yesterday about this time in 1987 when the maximum temperature in Westerham on 11th January was -9c and we had about 18 inches of powdery snow - brilliant!

Posted

Get in! Woke up

in Ealing to 3-4cm of snow and rising in persistent moderate snowfall. This could be the biggest dump of the winter for us. I knew this one would deliver

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Good old Cranleigh, I used to go to Glebelands School there.

starting to fizzel out now. 3 inches added. Bit fed up though as cant work again and Im self employed so not good. I have enjoyed it but looking forward to the thaw now

Morning Tom and morning Callie, amazing considering Cranliegh is fairly small how many people know of it, my family all went to school there and my Nan lives in Glebe road.

Snow starting to fall less now but got at least an inch here, shame my blinking car isnt starting as i have a hospital appointment in a few hours and i have to keep going out in the snow to try to start it pfffft!

Posted

Although I was reminded yesterday about this time in 1987 when the maximum temperature in Westerham on 11th January was -9c and we had about 18 inches of powdery snow - brilliant!

I remember the icicles in '87, they came down from the roof almost to the floor! Broke the guttering too.

Posted

Boyfriend is traveling from Worthing to Cranleigh for work and texted to say stuck on A24.

Reports of accidents and roads blocked due to vehicles skidding are coming in every minute across Sussex!

I can't even get out onto Friday Street Callie, the snow is really coming down now but the traffic has come to a halt and hasn'f moved for 10 mins. Just heard the A23 at Brighton is effectively closed due to snow and accidents - looks like I will be at home today! :air_kiss:

Posted

really amased by the fall in beckenham first one to use our street at 7am this morning lovely fresh snow about an inch and a half lovely really nice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow of course

Must be coming, white roofs and side road starting to cover now very small flakes but very consistant

Posted

I can't even get out onto Friday Street Callie, the snow is really coming down now but the traffic has come to a halt and hasn'f moved for 10 mins. Just heard the A23 at Brighton is effectively closed due to snow and accidents - looks like I will be at home today! clap.gif

you sound really disappointed about that Coast :air_kiss: :air_kiss:

still got snow falling in C London, should imagine the travel situation will only get worse as the more comes down