Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

I share your pain...

For once, hampstead is actually helping, and it seems to be slowing the ppn and letting it build slightly over central London and there is light snow and it is settling on the roofs and trying to settle on the floor, so all good so far.

As long as this keeps up, then we may get a cm or two here in the midde of London.

The NW radar seems to have stalled at 2:35, is that just me? I couldn't load the 18z charts either on NW.

Posted

Life! I would be on 'Midlands Thread' but nobody is awake :closedeyes: I'd just like to share my joy that within 5 minutes of it snowing cars had a covering, side roads did too. Now the previously gritted main road is now covered in snow also, and its only been snowing 25 minutes. I just hope this thing can stall for a little while over me otherwise with the speed its picking up now, it could be over within an hour or 2.

Posted

I agree on all of your points sno - here in Twickenham roofs are lightly covered and the grass has gone a lighter shade of pale

all good signs

The NW Radar has not been working properly all night

ie. Much earlier the future radar got stuck between 9.45-10.30pm and now current stuck at 2.35am

Sigh.. even with nobody from the SE on the site still has problems :closedeyes:

I just hope this thing can stall for a little while over me otherwise with the speed its picking up now, it could be over within an hour or 2.

I think you have a few hours to go :)

Posted

Life! I would be on 'Midlands Thread' but nobody is awake :closedeyes: I'd just like to share my joy that within 5 minutes of it snowing cars had a covering, side roads did too. Now the previously gritted main road is now covered in snow also, and its only been snowing 25 minutes. I just hope this thing can stall for a little while over me otherwise with the speed its picking up now, it could be over within an hour or 2.

Hi Great Barr, I am beginning to share your enjoyment.

Even after Alex Deakin said it wouldn't settle in central London in the 2:30 news, it seems to be having a decent go at it. Yet another late night, but at least this time it is being fruitful!!!!

And I was wondering if you weren't getting a covering over there in Twickers Buzzit, my neices will be pleased!

Posted

Well seeing as the midlands thread is dead i'll post here lol.

Snow is starting to cover the ground making up for all the snow lost during the thaw, now a nice white blanket again. Precip tends to dissipate as it hits my area, seems as if it's reluctant to keep intensity, allways seems to happen in snow events! No idea why lol. Light snow, temp of -0.9 :closedeyes:

Posted

Precip tends to dissipate as it hits my area, seems as if it's reluctant to keep intensity, allways seems to happen in snow events! No idea why lol. Light snow, temp of -0.9 :closedeyes:

Welcome Jamie, yes the only people up in this thread are the sad ones who havent got much snow (relative to elsewhere) so far

However I did have the pleasure to spend Christmas in Forres (Scotland) and New Years in newcastle so in reality Ive had mountains

of snow over Christmas / new Year (to the point my parents in law lost their guttering)

Just not seen much at home :)

Posted

snowing (actually.. snow grains) looks like somebody spilt caster sugar all over the place.. type covering. anyway at least it aint rain, which what normally happens in this type of forcast.

Posted

2nd time in 3 days the BBC have got it wrong! Probably more for you guys down South with that disappointment over the weekend aswell for you that didnt get snow after the weather warning..

Good to see the whole central/southern UK celebrating over alot of snow!

Im keeping an eye on the kerbs, its certainly making progress!!

Posted

Shouldn't be so suprised the snow hit us a few hours early, after the last week or so anythings possible. Looks like we might get a half decent covering from this. A fair few people in the South East willl be waking up to quite a suprise if it carrys on like this.

Edited by Yellow Army

Posted

Good night all - If I dont get at least a couple of hours sleep the wife is bound to cause some trouble :closedeyes:

Take Care

Edit : Happy Snowdaze

Edited by Buzzit

Posted

Well I just went out for a stroll in the snow that is trying it's best to settle, but it is only very tiny ice crystals at the moment, the kind that hurt your face when they hit.

Either way, this is central London and the snow/ice crystals are settling on the cars and roofs and doing their best to settle on the back streets, so a surpise for many. (and a relief for me)

Posted

Well I just went out for a stroll in the snow that is trying it's best to settle, but it is only very tiny ice crystals at the moment, the kind that hurt your face when they hit.

Either way, this is central London and the snow/ice crystals are settling on the cars and roofs and doing their best to settle on the back streets, so a surpise for many. (and a relief for me)

:drinks: how long do you think the snow will continue ? It still has not reached here yet but I hope it will in the next half hour, just listened to the forecast on LBC they said snow for several hours and continuing into the afternoon with heavier snow particularly North of London.

Posted

got a complete covering now. proper snowflakes, not the snow pellets earlier, and the whole system is not moving very fast north east (almost a halt)so by 7am if this keeps up it will cause problems.

Posted

By the way, not even the slightest hint of any grit on any of the roads here in Ken and Chelsea and Westminster. Could be another dodgy day for Boris if this keeps up.

got a complete covering now. proper snowflakes, not the snow pellets earlier, and the whole system is not moving very fast north east (almost a halt)so by 7am if this keeps up it will cause problems.

It is as slow moving as it was in the SW, with a decent amount of ppn behind what is hitting us at the moment, so this very light snow might have a major impact.

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted

Heavy snow here since 0300hrs and much more to come.

Edited by yamkin

Posted

Yup, and more to come by the looks of it.

I am amazed that the Met Office left it so late to issue a warning for London (04:31), unless they really thought the temps wouldn't be that marginal, but it just seems weird.

I guess they have got so much grief recently, they cant do anything right whatever they say/do.

EDIT: It is trying to snow properly now...Real flakes and falling at at a decent rate (just below moderate I guess).

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Yawn, weird how i always wake at stupid o clock when there is snow around! Anyway from looking at the radar it has been snowing here in Eastbourne since midniteish and covered everything back up in a nice thin layer or a cm or 2. Temperature is still +0.5c so i guess its going to melt fairly quickly when it stops but still looks like an hour or 2 before it stops :drinks:

Back to bed in a few mins for me, enjoy all who get some more snow.

Posted

MetO's info to the Croydon Borough yesterday only suggested snowfall of 1 - 3cm tops :drinks: :drinks:

Good job we decided to have a crew on standby just in case. It's going to be a nightmare for London today as there is quite a lot of snow out there at the moment with much more to come. I can see more than an inch falling here in Croydon. :help: :help:

Typical, severe warning sent out :doh: :doh: A bit late in the day for that don't you think :doh:

Edited by yamkin

Posted

At last took it's time this is going to make the BBC weather team look like fools again :drinks::help:

Glad to see it finally reached you. I feel like I should have had a birthday party during the time it took to get here, but it isn't going anywhere fast and even here in central London it is falling as snow, so it has to fall as snow elsewhere.

A big shock for many in the morning, especially with the lack of grit, especially round here - not a sniff of it anywhere!!!! :drinks:

Here is Trafalgar Square webcam - plenty settling there: http://www.camvista.com/england/london/trafsq.php3

Edited by Sno' problem