Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club 2010

Jane Louise

Posted

I would agree, Ian. May 1992, June 1981, July 1982. (Showing my age now. Wooot!!!) August 2003

Great years for storms.

July 1982 When mid-day turned into midnight at 2pm. I really wish I had pics of that event. So surreal.

Phil.

Last August and September did have a few good convective days across the west Midlands- more notably on the 28th and 1st respectively (think it may have been the 3rd, or perhaps that day was another convective day). Thunderstorms broke out across the west Midlands on the latter- could hear one in particular rumbling away a few miles to my west, with some sheet lightning visible. Also had a pretty gusty heavy shower during the afternoon that day, though sadly it wasn't electrically active.

Some signals coming through on ECM and UKMO that perhaps the end of the coming week may hold thunderstorm potential as temperatures gradually rise throughout the week.

Let's hope, Weather09. And if so, Jane, you'll have to run this thread on your own for a while. Or if we both get storms, could re-name it the YES Storms club 2010. laugh.gif

Phil.

Edited by Phil UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Let's hope, Weather09. And if so, Jane, you'll have to run this thread on your own for a while. Or if we both get storms, could re-name it the YES Storms club 2010. laugh.gif

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Next weekend is looking fantastic for storms on the latest GFS. It's bordering on FI but here's hoping :drinks:

Posted

I hope you're right NadamataSam. I'll be watching exclusively with the GFS/METO data.

What me and Jane Louise want to see is all with a storm or three. I'll happily leave this club if such an event happens. Good luck to all.

Not since August 2005 have we had a decent storm, in Solihull anyway! But 1st May 2010 was some form of recompense. (Not quite the make up, but better than nothing!)

Phil.

Posted

Its Monday. Any thundery possibilities currently dont arrive until late weekend or next week. It will change. I hope people dont get over excited again. I wont be until i see something!

Don't worry....I doubt anyone west of a line from say the Wash to the Isle of Wight will get excited..we know the score. The Easterners will get to hog it all again while we make do with the odd spot of drizzle.:o:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

everyone in the midlands should shhh! :o so far this year the south has seen hardly anystorms and for some like me havent seen a single one this year. the midlands have been hogging it all! about time the south got a few good storms! :Dwhistling.gif

Posted

Don't worry....I doubt anyone west of a line from say the Wash to the Isle of Wight will get excited..we know the score. The Easterners will get to hog it all again while we make do with the odd spot of drizzle.:o:D

Comments like that make me laugh. Storm events are usually showers, some places get them, some don't. I live in the area you mention, I've had one storm this year, lasted 20 minutes, other areas to the West of me have had lots, do I whinge that they've had them? No, I just enjoy what I get

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

I know its been a very quiet year so far but im really enjoying this lovely weather because its such a great opportunity to be outside and enjoy what summer has to offer. After all for the last 3 summers we have complained how rubbish its been but right now its completely the opposite. Be out and enjoy it i say. biggrin.gif

I tend to agree. The lack of thundery activity and related interesting events, yet again, is frustrating. However, the pleasant sunshine and comfortable temperatures are making this summer enjoyable, nevertheless.

It is great to see no sign of the Atlantic firing up with those horrid depressions bringing endless S.W.lies with mediocre rainfall followed by days of gusty winds and dust blowing around as the ground is so dry due to this part of the U.K. always missing the showers in this set up. This is how much of summer 2008 panned out in central southern England.

Similarly, the lack of S.W.ly winds has meant humidity has been comfortable which is essential when working outdoors doing manual work. There is nothing worse than having sweltering humidity to NOT GET A THUNDERSTORM at the end of it - like last year, 2009.

The current pleasant weather also makes people friendly and more relaxed whereas days of cloudy and drizzly S.W. type weather or high humidity alike are associated with high levels of grumpiness which is not conducive to improving morale when already annoyed about the lack of exciting weather.

This summer may be going like 1990 with a lack of thunder but due to anticyclonic conditions where everyone is in this together and not like the last two summers where this part of the U.K. has repeatedly missed the action.

Thunder has not been heard in June since 2007 now.

Thunder has only been heard on 7 days in the last 22 months and on 10 days in tha last 2 years, now! The average is 16.3 days per year (Guildford, Surrey).

Also just wondering if this year may turn out to be like 1994 with a poor start then the 'cracker' arrives. A very quiet start to the season ended on Friday 24th June 1994 with several hours of good electrical activity, although Guildford seemed to escape the higher rainfall totals with only 13.5 mm while Fleet received 42.0 mm with a severe line squall and associated roll cloud (the cloud also seen at Guildford) and parts of kent received 40~50 mm rain widely. Summer 1994 went on to produce some good sunny hot weather and other storms. Here's hoping for 2010.

Posted

We may all be in luck this weekend. Fingers crossed that the forecast dosen't change! smile.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

We may all be in luck this weekend. Fingers crossed that the forecast dosen't change! smile.gif

Still a bit early to get hopes up though! im not even going to tell my dad because hes always negative when i say theres a possibility of storms as he always thinks they wont happen and soo far hes been 100% correct! come on mother nature show him wrong! dry.gif

Posted

Still a bit early to get hopes up though! im not even going to tell my dad because hes always negative when i say theres a possibility of storms as he always thinks they wont happen and soo far hes been 100% correct! come on mother nature show him wrong! dry.gif

Lollaugh.gif It's the same with my daughter. Everytime a storm is forecast I can't wait to tell her and every time she says " Oh Mum not again, you know it wont happen" lol. Now I tend to keep quiet as I don't want to jinx itlaugh.gif

Posted

Comments like that make me laugh. Storm events are usually showers, some places get them, some don't. I live in the area you mention, I've had one storm this year, lasted 20 minutes, other areas to the West of me have had lots, do I whinge that they've had them? No, I just enjoy what I get

well said mate! my parents live in tunbridge wells in kent and miss out on storms alot when they hit the s/e

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I recall some frustrating experiences up in Tyneside, where most of the country had thunderstorms, North Sea coasts of the northeast stayed storm-free with low cloud, drizzle and temperatures several degrees lower (so you couldn't even see the clouds that were producing the storms further inland) and I'd be informed of how lucky I'd been to get the best of the weather.

Ironically, Tyneside's start to the 1994 season wasn't all that quiet, with a few notable hailstorms in March, a thunderstorm on 23 April, and then thunderstorms with hail on 3 and 8 June- illustrating the variability between one location and another. I certainly remember the frequent southerly winds, warmth, humidity and thunderstorms during the period 24 June-3 August 1994, which featured some thunder activity in Tyneside also, particularly the big one on the 3rd August although as per usual less so than most other parts of England.

But if you live in a relatively thunder-free location there's no guarantee that you won't end up moving to a more-thunder prone one in the future, as I went on to do with Leeds and more especially Norwich.

Posted

No blooody storms here this year, typical. Probably none this weekend either.

Posted

Looking utterly Thunderless here and I'm starting to get pee'd off with this rubbish.

BTW my Storm Shield has developed an Anti-Thundercloud steering mechanism this year - yep thats right folks not only does this puppy deflect any sniff of a storm away from you but should a storm actually penetrate within 25 miles of your location it will cleverly steer the offending storm to the North, West, South and East of you, so now you can laugh at all those unlucky people just a few miles from you getting battered by intense Thunder and Lightning. :good::angry:

Now also includes Blue Sky and Pointless Fluff Cloud generator too! . . . . (Oh fiss Off) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Still no storms here, and not looking likely any time soon! still early days and got another 2 months of summer to go, so i hope something comes along! I will be suprised and very annoyed if this year fails to bring atleast one storm here!! :good:(

Posted

Good morning to all at the NSC, :D

Call me cynical, But the hottest day of the year (Wimbledon and Glastonbury both dry?? Try 24th June 2005 when wet as f.. You know the rest.! :good:)

As I am presuming, someone, somewhere could well see a storm today. Synoptic situ....

Slow moving and rotating LP to the west of Scotland drawing in a plume of moist and humid air.

Futher thundery rain over southern France heading N-N-E so if I'm right, should maybe clip the south east by around midnight, if not before.

And if not, blame the Belgians!!

But seriously. Anyone, anywhere could see a storm spark off. I watched with interest yesterday of some dodgy looking Cu's but were inocuous.

Good luck peeps.

Edited by Phil UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I rang up the GFS hotline this morning to cancel my "No Storms Club 2010" subscription......GFS replied "Did you not read the small print on the contract? You're locked into your subscription for 12 months, and we reserve the right to extend your contract without any prior warning".....Nooooooooooooooooooooo!! No storms in the foreseeable future :)

Posted

Nope nothing here either this year, I can't remember what thunder sounds like.

Posted

Seeing as this breakdown is going to be a total non event storm wise...the wait to hear thunder this year goes on. I am struggling to recall the last time we here in North East Wales went through the year to the end of June without a storm having occured...or even a solitary rumble for that matter. Quite extraordinary. Could 2010 be the year without a storm? Frankly right now I would not bet against it.

Edited by CarlLH44

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

ive not heard thunder since last july, only some flashes in distance ..every chance of a storm just vaporizes the day or hrs before

i used to see some really good storms from my a patch , we got the heat but that dont allways mean storms of course but i need a thunderstorm , il just have to go chasing if it comes to it....in europe :rofl: but i want the storms here at home..

Edited by nimbilus

Posted

No sign of any storms here for the near future:cray: I do have a 45% risk tommorow evening but I just take it with a pinch of salt as it's always being downgraded grrrrrr.Ooooh just to have a bit of rain would be nice at the moment .

Good morning to all at the NSC, :)

Call me cynical, But the hottest day of the year (Wimbledon and Glastonbury both dry?? Try 24th June 2005 when wet as f.. You know the rest.! :D)

As I am presuming, someone, somewhere could well see a storm today. Synoptic situ....

Slow moving and rotating LP to the west of Scotland drawing in a plume of moist and humid air.

Futher thundery rain over southern France heading N-N-E so if I'm right, should maybe clip the south east by around midnight, if not before.

And if not, blame the Belgians!!

But seriously. Anyone, anywhere could see a storm spark off. I watched with interest yesterday of some dodgy looking Cu's but were inocuous.

Good luck peeps.

Nobody got their storm Phil:( I can see this club is going to be a little over crowded by the end of this year. :):(

I rang up the GFS hotline this morning to cancel my "No Storms Club 2010" subscription......GFS replied "Did you not read the small print on the contract? You're locked into your subscription for 12 months, and we reserve the right to extend your contract without any prior warning".....Nooooooooooooooooooooo!! No storms in the foreseeable future :)

Awwww.... you must always read the small print lol:D... I'm looking to Autumn for maybe a few supercells lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Still not got any storms this year, and a good bet on staying thunderless throughout 2010. Even tonight with a heightened risk the chance of getting storms here is surely next to nothing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Not sure whether I'm still in here... Thunder on Saturday but it was mostly quite distant, though I saw 2 flashes of lightning.