Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club 2010

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Still apart of the club, but i hope wednesday will give something and not get downgraded!! as its been too long since our last storm!

Posted

If we are all still members of this club by Friday then we might as well all pack up and go home. After what I have read on the null site regards Wednesday, it would be the mother of all let downs if nothing happens.

Edited by CarlLH44

Posted

BBC 24 weather mentioned possible Storms for late Tuesday and throughout Wed.for the South/West

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer, easy really!!

If we are all still members of this club by Friday then we might as well all pack up and go home. After what I have read on the null site regards Wednesday, it would be the mother of all let downs if nothing happens.

After reading this post I excitedly turned to null to give me some hope for Wed only to find (quote):

"Although much of the country will be at risk of a thunderstorm bringing the obvious threats of flash flooding, hail and very gusty winds – South Eastern parts will be less at risk with more in the way of sunny breaks and pleasant temperatures of 21 – 24oC"

Typical - think I might be a member here for some time!!

Posted

I just hope that ALL of us can look back on July 14th 2010 as the day we left the No Storms club. It would be better still if we were all treated to absolute bangers on and off throughout that day to make up for the storm drought we have had to endure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

After reading this post I excitedly turned to null to give me some hope for Wed only to find (quote):

"Although much of the country will be at risk of a thunderstorm bringing the obvious threats of flash flooding, hail and very gusty winds – South Eastern parts will be less at risk with more in the way of sunny breaks and pleasant temperatures of 21 – 24oC"

Typical - think I might be a member here for some time!!

Yes - Typical :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

At this rate I will be drawing my old age pension before any storms affect Guildford and that's another 23 years away!

This morning was the mother of all let-downs. I completely ignored the BBC forecast risk of heavy rain for the 'S.E.' and had my Monday morning bike ride as usual as I wasn't expecting any decent rain or thunderstorms.

My prediciton was, of course correct (sorry, I'm not normally big-headed B) ), and at least I got a good 32 miles in which were in the Sahara Desert conditions which the 'S.E.' (away from kent) is known for these days. For much of the trip there was the constant reminder of this latest kick in the teeth after days of excruciating high humidity and seething annoyance in the form of threatening altostratus to the east. There was a brief heavy shower at Bramley at 0925~0938 which actually made the road wet but on reaching the B3000 back to Guildford the ground was dry again and there had been absolutely no rain.

I am truly sick to death of this summer and lack of thunder and that was after an awful 2009 and 2008 (see all my other posts). At least June was a pleasant anticyclonic month with SUNSHINE and low humidity and none of this 'unsettled and mainly dry in the S.E.' nonsense. If the weather map has low pressure and fronts on it - I expect rain and hopefully thunderstorms and not continued dry conditions, no thunder and the c**p which we've had recently. If this current so-called 'unsettled' spell can't deliver - we want the sunshine and high pressure back despite the drought problem. Anything is better than seeing endless storms crossing France and clipping kent while all my location gets is 'humisery'.

It's ironic that the forecast is always for the S.E. to have the driest weather with fewest storms yet the true S.E. (kent) gets the goods while areas further west repeatedly miss out.

Well, can't keep waffling but here's to the tedium of another week ahead with no surprises, no chance of storms in central southern England, any forecast of any event which might affect this area being downgraded but the dry and thunder-less forecasts coming true and the overall feeling of being totally deflated and having to wait another month of sweltering misery for another chance which will no doubt fail in this horrible year.

:bad:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

(GREAT POST-SEVERE BLIZZARD) u saved my fingers from typing burn , mind u i think my post would b longer.. 0-:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Yes, I also have been following the storm risk on Metmonkey and it's looking great :wallbash:

A SLIGHT RISK of Severe Thunderstorms has been issued for Wednesday 14th for many parts of the United Kingdom with the possibility of a widespread severe weather outbreak. An upgrade is very likely before Wednesday.

All conditions are currently favourable for widespread thunderstorm initiation and some of these cells are likely to be strong and perhaps severe in nature with large hail, frequent lightning and very gusty winds.

We are confident that due to the set-up a small tornado outbreak could occur from S Wales, West Midlands into parts of the East/North Midlands and Lincolnshire. Although there is significant scope for a more widespread threat. Wednesday is constantly being monitored.

It’s expected that under the set-up, and the low becoming some-what stationary and stalled that the risk could be extended into Thursday with a more Northerly bias. The severe weather threat is likely to be the most significant of the 2010 season so far.

http://null.co.uk/?page_id=7

Posted

Yes, I also have been following the storm risk on Metmonkey and it's looking great :wallbash:

A SLIGHT RISK of Severe Thunderstorms has been issued for Wednesday 14th for many parts of the United Kingdom with the possibility of a widespread severe weather outbreak. An upgrade is very likely before Wednesday.

All conditions are currently favourable for widespread thunderstorm initiation and some of these cells are likely to be strong and perhaps severe in nature with large hail, frequent lightning and very gusty winds.

We are confident that due to the set-up a small tornado outbreak could occur from S Wales, West Midlands into parts of the East/North Midlands and Lincolnshire. Although there is significant scope for a more widespread threat. Wednesday is constantly being monitored.

It’s expected that under the set-up, and the low becoming some-what stationary and stalled that the risk could be extended into Thursday with a more Northerly bias. The severe weather threat is likely to be the most significant of the 2010 season so far.

http://null.co.uk/?page_id=7

Jane the BBC guy seemed confident for Storms in our neck of the woods :wallbash:

We’ve already issued an advanced convective watch for a HIGH RISK of Thunderstorms for Wednesday

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted

Jane the BBC guy seemed confident for Storms in our neck of the woods :wallbash:

We’ve already issued an advanced convective watch for a HIGH RISK of Thunderstorms for Wednesday

Can't wait Pat... it really sounds promising.Plenty of radar watching to do. I'm going to be hooked lol:D

Posted

Can't wait Pat... it really sounds promising.Plenty of radar watching to do. I'm going to be hooked lol:D

yes same here...going out tomorrow to buy a USB dongle for my laptop.....The only problem is Im in band practice Wednesday night :wallbash:

so will be out late chasing into the early hrs after practice...cant realy postpone it.. :wallbash:

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted

yes same here...going out tomorrow to buy a USB dongle for my laptop.....The only problem is Im in band practice Wednesday night :wallbash:

so will be out late chasing into the early hrs after practice...cant realy postpone it.. :wallbash:

Can you not postpone band practice ?Lol:p

Where are you going chasing? I use a Tmobile dongle for my netbook it's done me well. :wallbash:

Edited by Jane Louise

Posted

Can you not postpone band practice ?Lol:p

Where are you going chasing? I use a Tmobile dongle for my netbook it's done me well. :wallbash:

My brother reckons 3 network is best for coverage.....pay as you go...

no cant postpone as we didnt meet last week....

doesnt matter...will just miss any action from 7-10.30pm...then Im off to where the storms are with my laptop and cameras..

If its local will end up at Cleave hill or Crickley Hill for the excellent views

plus there is shelter up crickley with a view to the Welsh mountains and down towards Bristol bridge on a clear day

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted

Time for some reverse psychology on here me thinks.

Nothing is going to happen for any of us. Nothing is going to happen...maybe the odd spot of drizzle while the Benelux countries somehow nick it all again.

Posted

Time for some reverse psychology on here me thinks.

Nothing is going to happen for any of us. Nothing is going to happen...maybe the odd spot of drizzle while the Benelux countries somehow nick it all again.

Lol, I agree.:wallbash:

Right, There will be no storms on Wednesday, there's no need to get excited everybody!! Carry on as usual with the things you normally do.No need to get up early and no need to stay up late. Nip over to France and Switzerland to watch em over there instead as we don't get them in the UK anymore .lol :wallbash:

( Do you think we'll get one now):wallbash: :wallbash:

if we get a direct hit..I will stay put and do some photography from the garden :wallbash:

Same here, In the garden and maybe venture to the hill. Getting the camera all charged up tomorrow and all my other bits and pieces together. Radio at the ready too lol. I hope all this dosen't get downgraded now lol :wallbash:

Posted

Lol, I agree.:wallbash:

Right, There will be no storms on Wednesday, there's no need to get excited everybody!! Carry on as usual with the things you normally do.No need to get up early and no need to stay up late. Nip over to France and Switzerland to watch em over there instead as we don't get them in the UK anymore .lol :wallbash:

( Do you think we'll get one now):wallbash: :wallbash:

Lets hope so wednesday does have some good cape and li and only 2 days to go fingers crossed :wallbash:

Posted

I'm stilla member :wallbash:

Why me? lol

Maybe Wednesday? Theres always hope! Hopefully it will be my last post in this thread , maybe one more to say im leaving the club , or ill be here next year , even more desperate. :wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by mt-leinster-snow-drifts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Alright guys I'm graciously retiring from the no storms club, and I tell you what I'm going out with a bang! I'm in Mexico and today marked the 8th storm so far. on friday I was at xcaret we had three storms in a row and the last one nearly killed me the lightning was way too close and then it broke my personal space striking a tree no more then 20ft away a very load crack then the boom followed I nearly through myself to the floor as i was on a beach with only a hut and a couple of palm trees around it was pretty stupid of me to be out having a great time guys :) I'll remove my signature as soon as I'm bk on Friday! Adios.

Edited by Mesoscale

Posted

Wow sounds amazing/scary lucky you!

Looking quite good for something for many on Wednesday and good luck to everyone in here. :)

I can't help but feel I will still be here at the end of the week. I expect to miss most of the action again due to the wind direction being southerly and the sea being a few miles to the south.. unless something manages to form over the sea. This often seems to happen on better convective days in the UK, the wind direction is wrong for me.. but I guess its hard to expect anything here after the last few years.

If you want 'severe thunderstorms' though look at what the near continent (France, Germany, Belgium) was getting yesterday.. again.. oh and of course looks like getting a few more times this week!:)

Posted

I don't want to put a damper on Wednesdays potential for widespread storms, but it's not looking so good now for me. A little downgrade from the GFS on my area :unsure:

But who knows! still a few more GFS runs to go yet. Fingers tightly crossed.

Posted

This should really go into the Convective Thread but hey ho seeing as people are hoping to get out of this place by Wednesday here goes.

This is just a rough rule of thumb for Places that tend to get hit by these Rpm Airmass Thunderstorms in Summer Months and the Windflow that is crucial.

I am pretty sure tomorrow will be a Straight South Westerly btw :unsure:

Westerly Driven Showers tend to affect most areas Countrywide, even the South Coast if any can take on a slight turn from the North West flow further along the country.

West South West Driven tends to take out the whole of the South Coast and parts of Essex and Kent. These days usually see clear skies on the South Coast with Boiling Cb's about 25-30 Miles Inland, Generally SW London and NW London get clobbered by the Southern Most Showers.

South Westerly airflows tend to take out the Whole of the South East with just one of 2 stray showers in the London area. Most Showers start out over Devon and Somerset and mainly affect the Midlands, Bucks, Oxon, and then up into parts of Northern East Anglia and Lincs.

These types of Set-Ups can yield some pretty lively Homegrown Storms (Birm & Peterborough Tornadoes were from this Set-Up in 2005)

So looking good for the Midlands, SE Wales, Norfolk and Lincs tomorrow.

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm having my doubts about tomorrow, now... :unsure: