Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club 2010

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Storms are very poor so far this year.

Alza, count yourself in.:) If it didn't seem like a proper storm to you and with it being in the distance...... I'd say 'Yes '!! you're sadly still in the NSC. Sorry :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I'm thinking of joining the NSC 2010! Had very little storm wise indeed this year - at least last year June was very active storm wise, for here at least.

Posted

I have to agree with you, Jane. But hey, all of July and August, even into September to go yet so never give up hope. :-)

Welcome Harry. Pull up a chair and discuss the tales of woe stormwise.

I thought I heard thunder on Sunday afternoon but was probably the sound of several TV remote controls being thrown at the same time nationwide at final whistle. (But don't get me started on that England debacle!)

Otherwise... We could have a busy Summer on here, Jane. Hopefully not as I want to see all witness a good storm at some point. But here we are if need be, all welcome. :-)

Phil.

Posted

Storms are very poor so far this year.

Alza, count yourself in.:( If it didn't seem like a proper storm to you and with it being in the distance...... I'd say 'Yes '!! you're sadly still in the NSC. Sorry :(

Definition of a storm to enter the club...

1, Distant thunder does not necessarily constitute a proper thunderstorm, unless overhead lightning, IC (Intra-Cloud) or GC (Cloud-Ground) is observed inside a two mile radius. If both apply, then no venture here. But still free to comment on whatever you like though.

2, As I have observed myself in the past and more than once, A Cb anvil hanging directly overhead, but not the cloud base where distant lightning can be, but not necessarily be visible. But if accompanied by loud thunder and any sort of precipitation, you're out. Low and distant rumbles, or what would be called a 'Dry Storm' even if any precip occurs, you're in.

3, Shelf cloud or visible scud means you're too close, so no-no!! And no saying well it hit us for a minute. We're talking proper no-storms here. (Been there enough times and I don't even live in Cheltenham!) :D

Of course Jane can change the said above rules. (I'm only the lackey here. I pour the cups of tea! :lol: But priviledged at that!)

Phil. (Now let's empty this club by October 2010!)

Posted

Ditto Tim!

Bit of a weakling but at least it's something. Not technically a storm but I'll take anything these days!

Posted

Definition of a storm to enter the club...

1, Distant thunder does not necessarily constitute a proper thunderstorm, unless overhead lightning, IC (Intra-Cloud) or GC (Cloud-Ground) is observed inside a two mile radius. If both apply, then no venture here. But still free to comment on whatever you like though.

2, As I have observed myself in the past and more than once, A Cb anvil hanging directly overhead, but not the cloud base where distant lightning can be, but not necessarily be visible. But if accompanied by loud thunder and any sort of precipitation, you're out. Low and distant rumbles, or what would be called a 'Dry Storm' even if any precip occurs, you're in.

3, Shelf cloud or visible scud means you're too close, so no-no!! And no saying well it hit us for a minute. We're talking proper no-storms here. (Been there enough times and I don't even live in Cheltenham!) :D

Of course Jane can change the said above rules. (I'm only the lackey here. I pour the cups of tea! :( But priviledged at that!)

Phil. (Now let's empty this club by October 2010!)

I totally agree with you Phil, lol.:) Sounds good to me .Put the kettle on now please deary I need a cup of tea lol:p

:nonono: Guess I am still a member this year too :*-(

Still the rest of Summer then Autumn to go.... don't give up hope yet!! :)

Posted

Really has been a long time since I've seen a proper thunderstorm...wonder when the next one will actually occur for here...

I'm kinda thinking the same myself.......

Posted

I'm actually struggling to recall the last time we went through the entire month of June without so much as a solitary rumble. Years gone by...it was pretty much a given that you'd see a storm in April and or May to whet the appetite for the summer ahead but this year...nothing.

2010 (so far) has been a complete joke storm wise....let us hope things change for the better for all of us, otherwise come the end of the year I will look back on the summer with a sigh and a hissed good riddance under my breath.

Edited by CarlLH44

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

Well, i've had one storm that was crap a few flashs little wind and no hail Rubbish...

Posted

Wait for the influx from Coast and Harry, and all who live, or around the Sussex/Kent coast in the early hours..

Only chance I see is the major Cb explosion going on in mid-France as I type and maybe, just maybe, clip the far SE of the UK??

Please let us know guys. Best of luck. :nonono:

Phil.

Posted

Well, i've had one storm that was crap a few flashs little wind and no hail Rubbish...

Where are you based, Liam? Add to your location so we can define as to whether a thunderstorm or not.

Was it overhead? Visible Cloud-Ground or Intra-Cloud lightning will count as long as near overhead, or by a two or less mile radius, then you have had what we declare as a storm!

:nonono:

But Coast and Harry, they get special dispensation. Not like the 1990's anymore when we in the Midlands were jealous of you lot down there in the SE!

Phil. (Oh how the tide turns... But if SE or Midlands are getting none, or ChelteNaaaaam, nor Moanchester... Then who bloody is??)

I demand an inquiry!

Posted

Its kicking off in France already :drinks:bet its not as good as this grab from IOWW back on July 22nd 2006 :nonono: I've had one flash and a distant rumble so far in 2010. Rubbish!

Cheers

Mark H

post-9420-060033300 1278143545_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

Where are you based, Liam? Add to your location so we can define as to whether a thunderstorm or not.

Was it overhead? Visible Cloud-Ground or Intra-Cloud lightning will count as long as near overhead, or by a two or less mile radius, then you have had what we declare as a storm!

:nonono:

But Coast and Harry, they get special dispensation. Not like the 1990's anymore when we in the Midlands were jealous of you lot down there in the SE!

Phil. (Oh how the tide turns... But if SE or Midlands are getting none, or ChelteNaaaaam, nor Moanchester... Then who bloody is??)

I demand an inquiry!

It was passing overhead...

Posted

Ok, if overhead, then that theoretically counts as a storm. (So what are you doing here then?? No Storms Club members only!)

:)

But I'm waiting for this club to be influxed by those in the SE who were yet again, and to quote a Billy Fury song... "So near, yet so far away!"

Phil. :yahoo:

Posted

Yes, I agree Phil. Overhead thunderstorms are classed as a thunderstorm! :yahoo:

Gawd, I miss these thunderstorms.... Where are they? :)

Posted

Oh and Jane, here's that cup of tea, with free digestive biccy that you requested earlier in this thread...

16-cup-of-tea.jpg

Sorry that it's not a 'Storm in a teacup!' :)

Phil. (Sorry for the pun!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

As I'm approaching the big four zero in a month or so, the memory banks are not as good as they once were...With that in mind, as its been so long, remind me, what is a thunderstorm?? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

As I'm approaching the big four zero in a month or so, the memory banks are not as good as they once were...With that in mind, as its been so long, remind me, what is a thunderstorm?? :D

Something that doesnt happen! :)

Posted

As I'm approaching the big four zero in a month or so, the memory banks are not as good as they once were...With that in mind, as its been so long, remind me, what is a thunderstorm?? :drinks:

You might be in luck if it follows mine, AJ. The evening before my 40th on 1st May 2010, there was an unprecedented storm. (See my sig!)

You just never know! :drinks:

Phi.

Edited by Phil UK

Posted

Oh and Jane, here's that cup of tea, with free digestive biccy that you requested earlier in this thread...

16-cup-of-tea.jpg

Sorry that it's not a 'Storm in a teacup!' :lol:

Phil. (Sorry for the pun!)

Thank you kind Sir :D Game of scrabble Phil, anyone?? at least it's something to pre occupy us storm-starved whilst we wait for a storm lol :drinks:

I'm hoping that August is the month now Lol :drinks:

Posted

I prefer Chess.

The mind game, a bit like watching the weather forecast really.

Check : Cheltenham and the south east will see a storm this week. I don't see that happening somehow.

Checkmate : Ha!! METO messed up again! (Circa 2009 with the BBQ Summer...) Um??

'Hottest Summer on record'... (Circa 2008) Uh?? Quite wet!

'Warmest Summer for decades'... (Circa 2007) Eh?? A superlatively wet one, especially late July/August!

Phil.