Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Who's Looking Forward To Spring

dave79

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who's looking forward to spring?

Posted

come of it Ian-Mushy is simply expressing his opinion - not doing what you accuse him of, and as such is just as entitled as any cold lover to his view.

In truth, apart from a few lucky spots south of the Border and the hillier areas of Scotland, what most have is, in my view, if I may be allowed to express it, much as Mushy describes-not what anyone wants.

Not mild with some spring sunshine and maybe a few showers

not really wintry with copious snow, frost at night and sunshine-or am I misquoting views of the weather?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Saying it's "not what anyone wants" is implying that nobody wants it and therefore projecting an opinion onto everyone else, surely?

I don't mind the current outlook for East Anglia at all- to be pedantic I may not necessarily "want" it, but it does offer a fair mix of weather. And if I was living pretty much anywhere in Scotland, Northern Ireland or north-west England I would definitely be looking forward to the upcoming weather, offering crisp sunshine, a few wintry showers, and some night frosts. In simple terms I don't like being told that a weather type pleases no-one when it pleases myself.

And today in Norwich it's sunny, and feels quite warm out in the sun.

Some people appreciate types of weather other than the extremes of copiously wintry and mild & sunny, and are surely entitled to appreciate them- just like Mushy sometimes does with ordinary Atlantic-dominated winter weather.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

If you are wanting to be pedantic Ian this is what mushy actually posted

couldnt agree more .... i know cold is popular here as people want snow.... ok, i can understand that, but what we have pleases no one. no real snow, no mild, its just raw.

perhaps he missed off at the end , 'in my view' would that make you happy?

Posted

I also agree. Sunshine and showers at 4C is as good as unbroken sunshine at 18C in April, and preferably both in a short space of time! I also like to be able to take a trip up north on the train like I did in early April 2008 to find some snow still falling and lying between Blair Atholl and Slochd, just to wave the snow and cold one last goodbye.

My favorite time too is April probably towards the end of when we have just had an arctic northerly outbreak and the last of the north winds are carrying the last shower clouds in a line down the North Sea onto the Buchan coast to the east of us (Buchan Boaters I think they are called)in the evening when the setting sun can highlight them in pink, yellow and grey. Must be the Norse blood in me as I want to follow them back to their source and remain in winter but this is usually winters final goodbye.( Althogh I have seen them in May, June, September and October over the years) The intensity of the light at this time of the year can really make snow capped mountains stand out against a very blue sky and create spectacular cloudscapes. Showers of grauple in bright sunshine are quite common too at this time of year and can make the ground white in seconds even if it is dry and dusty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's more the "pleases no one" bit that I took issue with- when I feel pleased, or at least not too bothered, about a weather outlook I don't like being told that it pleases no-one. I think there's a more specific issue behind it: in spring we often see comments like "cold weather in spring pleases no-one" because it rarely gets cold enough for widespread lasting snow cover, and if we can't have a widespread lasting snow cover, we should hope for warmth instead. As someone who appreciates a number of weather types that are neither particularly warm, nor give rise to widespread lasting snow cover, I object to the notion that everybody thinks that way and/or that I should think that way. We may only be in mid-February but the issue is exactly the same.

At the same time there is absolutely nothing wrong with Mushy personally wanting warmth and seeing nothing to like in this kind of "cold but not really cold" weather- we all know he prefers warmth and he is perfectly entitled to do so. It probably wasn't his intention, but I'm all too familiar with the "it pleases no-one" line being used to dismiss those who see something to appreciate in a northerly outbreak in the middle of spring, or for that matter a bright showery polar maritime regime in the middle of summer, and the same can apply to the current weather.

Posted

Ian

Please stop using these '.....' when you are not quoting what someone has said . That is really why I pulled you up in the first place. When you use quotes it MUST be exactly what someone has posted not your version of it which is what you did with Mushy.

Just as you object to people, in your view, telling you what you should enjoy or not, I object to quotes that are not quotes!

Posted

I'm pretty sure I quoted it correctly- I referred to the phrase "pleases no-one" which is exactly what he said? The "not what anyone wants" quote was subsequently lifted from your reply to my post, not Mushy's original post- and again word for word.

I am strongly against mis-quoting others so I would certainly be prepared to apologise if I mis-quoted someone, but I don't see where I've mis-quoted anyone except for possible misreading/misinterpretation?

Posted

The answer for me is no, not until I've had one decent snowfall.

Total for me this winter is only 7cm in total, the worst I have ever recorded, even during the very mild winters of the past I;ve received good dumpings from topplers.

Cold and dry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Hmm, going to be careful what i put, dont want an arguement but... I think i may of had enough of this 'wishy washy' cold now, so in a definately imby way UNLESS I get another heavy, laying snow session then could i have warm sunshine please? I dont like sleet and cold dampness!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Pig sick of cold, grey drizzle now. Unfortunately a common thing in winter and early spring especially when the wind is from the east.

At least evenings are finally getting lighter. Now just lighting up time as I'm heading home from work. Another two weeks and I'm finally clear till October- oh the joy!!

Posted

Hmm, going to be careful what i put, dont want an arguement but... I think i may of had enough of this 'wishy washy' cold now, so in a definately imby way UNLESS I get another heavy, laying snow session then could i have warm sunshine please? I dont like sleet and cold dampness!

I can understand why you may feel that way after the above argument, but I don't think there's any reason to be afraid to merely express an opinion! Nothing wrong at all with that post.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

I can understand why you may feel that way after the above argument, but I don't think there's any reason to be afraid to merely express an opinion! Nothing wrong at all with that post.

Compared to some of my grumpy whinges at certain members i like to make sometimes!

I forget how dull this time of year can get for 'down this way' Currently cold and rainy again. After the nice little snow day last week quickly melted, my thoughts soon turned to spring. Yesterday was glorious out of the cold wind. Anyway as i said i am now either looking for the very unlikely chance of heavy snow or, the very unlikely chance of warm sunshine!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I must admit being out and about today in temperatures barely nudging 5c it did feel fairly nice and not as cold and raw as it has felt at times this winter. I have detected a real sense of early spring lately, despite the low temperatures.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

I'm looking forward to spring so all these winter posters/trollers will disappear and the model discussion thread can get back to some kind of normality....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Certainly signs of Spring now.. today was gloomy, but yesterday the sun felt strong, even walking outside it was pleasant despite being quite cold, in the shade it felt cold. Sitting down inside with the sun on me, I even had to take my jumper off.

I'm almost certain that my area and many places have seen the last snowfalls untill next winter. Down here it's simply not cold enough, looks like cold rain from now on, and we are less than 2 weeks from Spring, so it is only going to get harder to get snow.

Personally i'm fed up of this grey dull cold weather, so spring can roll on with some nice warm sunny days please. air_kiss.gif ahhh.. the thought that in 2 months it will nearly be May where we can see the first real heat of the year rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

No dull and cold here, another nice covering of snow! Still not yearning for warm weather, this can continue well into March as far as I'm concerned!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

No dull and cold here, another nice covering of snow! Still not yearning for warm weather, this can continue well into March as far as I'm concerned!

...and it probably will! Now snow here - we've not had much this winter at all, just what seems like endless days of low cloud, drizzle and temps 2-5c. Vile! Longing for a change here - really am. Atlantic mild would suit me better!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Love the snow and love the proper cold.

However, this winter is getting tired, especially this dissapointing February. The lack of decent cycle rides, a waterlogged countryside and unpleasant damp and cold conditions, without snow, are becoming a nuisance. Working in frequent drizzle and damp is not much fun and the grumpy customers add to the lack of motivation to want to get up in the morning and remain in a good mood. Non-weather hobbies play a role to bring pleasure - especially some decent music - to help forget the miserable and unrewarding weather for a few hours.

Either bring on more snow (for the central southern - S.E. area) with crisp cold, the odd ice day and some decent nighttime frosts or bring on some lovely sunshine and clear skies.

As for spring - the sunshine, showers and hopefully (this year) some decent thundery showers are eagerly awaited - the humid sticky heat without thunderstorms, of summer is not awaited with pleasure.

Spring can be the most enjoyable time of year as temperatures are moderate and seldom too hot, and recent years have shown interesting synoptics and events but also prolonged droughts and sunshine, without high humidity, which are great for working and leisure outdoors.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Same.. I'd take roaring SWerlies with 10C-12C and grey skies rather than 5C and grey skies with an annoyingly cold wind

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

...and it probably will! Now snow here - we've not had much this winter at all, just what seems like endless days of low cloud, drizzle and temps 2-5c. Vile! Longing for a change here - really am. Atlantic mild would suit me better!

Aw come on, can 45-50cm for Nottingham change that view?

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100218/18/171/uksnowdepth.png

:lol:

Unfortunately with such extensive Baltic sea ice currently that is forecasted to increase in the next few weeks, when this all melts it will slow down our already slow warm up process in the spring, not looking good at all for warmth this spring or the summer to be honest :lol:

On the flip coin though at least we will get a head start for next winter :80:

Posted

Personally i'm fed up of this grey dull cold weather, so spring can roll on with some nice warm sunny days please. air_kiss.gif ahhh.. the thought that in 2 months it will nearly be May where we can see the first real heat of the year rolleyes.gif

May? shok.gif You kidding on, right? Happens that April last year was pretty warm, plenty warm enough - I was down at Sandbanks on the 1st of April last year, it'd been warm for a couple of days before as well if memory serves! That'll do me for real heat, about 20. For heatwaves and that, I'll happily wait for the inevitable in June we often seem to get in Dorset.

Oddly, I think I'm used to it. I walked out of the house yesterday thinking "ooh, this is mild" - of course, it spent the evening snowing. In winters gone by, I would have found it bonechilling. I think the lack of light has been affecting me more than lack of heat.

http://charts.netwea...uksnowdepth.png

:)

If it must... doh.gif The cold can either give me one epic snow event or go away!

Edited by butler_son

Posted

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100218/18/171/uksnowdepth.png

:)

That won't happen of course! We've had very little snow here - but a whole lot of low cloud and drizzle!

But if it did I'd take it!

Eugene - winter cold has no effect on summer weather - just look at the stats...