Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Who's Looking Forward To Spring

dave79

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who's looking forward to spring?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In conjunction with my earlier thoughts that it would be good if winters had more sunlight (say 10 hours per day instead of 7 or 8 ) I often think it would be good if our winters boasted stronger sunshine but colder airmasses.

Imagine the equivalent of those potent April/May northerlies and north-westerlies with vigorous convection and heavy hail/snow showers but with maximum temperatures of 0 to 2C!

The problem with the idea of "looking forward to spring" from my perspective is that my favourite weather patterns stay the same all year around. In a nutshell, the three favourites are: bright showery polar maritime W/SW regimes, bright showery Arctic regimes (usually from N or NW in summer half-year, but include E & NE airflows in winter) and anticyclonic with high pressure over or to the east of us bringing dry sunny weather and, in summer, occasional thundery outbreaks. I prefer a higher relative frequency of the anticyclonic type in summer than in winter, but other than that, not a lot changes. So if I "look forward to Spring" it's all about the amount of daylight and sunlight, rather than changes of preferred weather pattern.

The above should make it easier to understand why I often rave about Spring 1995 in Tyneside- for most of that entire season, the three patterns outlined above occurred in alternating spells.

Posted

i am looking forward to spring, but, the chance of a last wintry blast before then is tantalising. Spring will mean i will see more daylight. (working 12 hours shift and in an office with no windows means i see very little daylight in winter) it will also mean walking the dog becomes more pleasant. when i am on day shift i walk him at about 0430 in the morning before going to work. it will also be good to come off a night shift and go home in the daylight too smile.gif

the trouble with spring is that it is neither here nor there. snow is still possible, and april showers can be a damper (excuse the pun) on days out. but all in all it's a welcome change in the season that heralds the warmth of the sun and the longer days. oh, and of course, it means winter is coming around again smile.gif

and given a bad summer autumn and winter seem to come round quicker :lol:

Posted

One of the best things about Spring is getting that first 18c day, sometimes as early as March, sometimes it takes right upto May but its nice feeling when you finally get to those sorts of temps, and its very nice indeed when you get to the point in Spring where temps in most set-ups will be in double figures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

One of the best things about Spring is getting that first 18c day, sometimes as early as March, sometimes it takes right upto May but its nice feeling when you finally get to those sorts of temps, and its very nice indeed when you get to the point in Spring where temps in most set-ups will be in double figures.

Yes agreed - I often find myself dreaming about that very first warm feeling sunny day in spring around this time of year. It's one of the most lovely feeling when it finally does happen - a feeling of freedom to enjoy the outdoors again with everything coming back to life after the winter hibernation. Can't wait!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Yep, I agree with that, and someone should open the 'first 20C of the year' thread like we had last year. Walking out today, I noticed the buds on the trees, and I can't wait for the blossom to come out :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Yep, I agree with that, and someone should open the 'first 20C of the year' thread like we had last year. Walking out today, I noticed the buds on the trees, and I can't wait for the blossom to come out :)

Ambitious - we should start with 'first 10C of the year', we havent reached double digits (+ve) since 9th December here.

Posted

very true re the 10C-9th of December here-it has to be a long time since we went so long in this area without at least 1x 10C

got a few snowdrops in a tub by the front door and certainly the bulbs are showing over much of the garden.

Posted

True, and the same can probably be said of here, although we have had a few 8s and 9s I think, but down in the SW they have probably had quite a few 10s. By the time March comes around though, 20C can be reached at any time, sometimes early in the month and sometimes as late as the end of April, which is why I thought we could start now seeing as we could be just over a month away from it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny or Cold and snowy

Certainly feels like spring today! Been working outside all day with just a t shirt, lovely sunny skies and very pleasant. Don't really mind a cold Febraury and would be happy with either cold or snow just no more horrible grey wet damp stuff please!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

very true re the 10C-9th of December here-it has to be a long time since we went so long in this area without at least 1x 10C

got a few snowdrops in a tub by the front door and certainly the bulbs are showing over much of the garden.

John are you not site forecast team anymore?

I like spring for the sunny mild weather, but i'd take an eternity of winter. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

It's been a beautiful Spring-like day here today, mild and gloriously sunny; at work with drifts of Snowdrops and Aconites in full flower, I'm most definitely looking forward to Spring.

Bring it on I say!

Posted

True, and the same can probably be said of here, although we have had a few 8s and 9s I think, but down in the SW they have probably had quite a few 10s. By the time March comes around though, 20C can be reached at any time, sometimes early in the month and sometimes as late as the end of April, which is why I thought we could start now seeing as we could be just over a month away from it.

20C in the first half of March is very rare indeed. In fact, reaching 20C would mean you were within 2-3C of the record temperature for the date on any day of the month aside from a handful of days. Even then you're only talking about areas prone to the fohen effect and in the south. Here for example we've never reached 20C before mid-April since at least 1982.

Posted

20C in the first half of March is very rare indeed. In fact, reaching 20C would mean you were within 2-3C of the record temperature for the date on any day of the month aside from a handful of days. Even then you're only talking about areas prone to the fohen effect and in the south. Here for example we've never reached 20C before mid-April since at least 1982.

Rare yes, but possible. I'm not sure what the average date for the first 20C is here, but it must be around the end of March-early April.. I'd expect to have seen 20C by mid April

Edit: I can also feel the sun strengthening.. today it felt quite pleasant in the sun, and it is noticeably higher in the sky - I don't remember it being this high or strong in November, but maybe that's just because in November we hardly ever see the sun..

Edited by robthefool

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

well we had groundhog day here the other day..with the groundhogs saying there will be another 6 weeks of winter...interesting enough the definition of spring in Canada is when the the daytime temperatures reach double digits on a consistant basis...and they state this dose not usually happen until mid april..nice and sunny here today and looks like spring..except for the snow and it being -16c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Edit: I can also feel the sun strengthening.. today it felt quite pleasant in the sun, and it is noticeably higher in the sky - I don't remember it being this high or strong in November, but maybe that's just because in November we hardly ever see the sun..

Yes I've noticed this too - the warmth of the sun feels stronger when going up (in spring) compared to when going down (in autumn) - even at equivalent height. Probably down to perception as in spring you've been used to having very little heat for the sun for some months so even a little warmth feels good. Same as the first 15c in spring feels vastly warmer than 15c in autumn.

Solar height wise we're about equivalent to bonfire night...

post-94-12654521400788_thumb.png post-94-12654521321188_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

well we had groundhog day here the other day..with the groundhogs saying there will be another 6 weeks of winter...interesting enough the definition of spring in Canada is when the the daytime temperatures reach double digits on a consistant basis...and they state this dose not usually happen until mid april..nice and sunny here today and looks like spring..except for the snow and it being -16c!

It's good to have Grounhog Day IMO...Because, as with St Swithin's Day here, an entrenched seasonal pattern is hard to shift - especially when it appears to be almost hemisphere-wide! :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

9.6C is the highest we've had here since 10th December and that was yesterday. Looks like going down again for a week or two. Here's hoping for a convective spring with bright blue skies and warm, strong sunshine with big cu-nimbs around.

Posted

I do look forward to Spring but not until late Feb, right now I am firmly in winter mode. Early Spring in the north can be cruel indeed with sharp frosts often a feature and sudden snow showers courtesy of northerly winds, it isn't usually until late March when proper wintry conditions can be forgotton about and not until late April when the first proper sustained mild spell of weather without frosts occurs. Near the east coast early-mid Spring can be very gloomy when easterlies and north easterlies set in.

March generally is often as wintry as Dec in the northern half of the country particularly so the first half, temperature differences with increasing height are most marked in the Spring, hilly parts of the north can be brutally cold and snowy in early Spring. The North Sea is at its coldest in early March likewise the Arctic, coupled with the fact northerlies reach their yearly maxim, when an arctic plunge does occur it can be very severe.

Still Spring is the most interesting season for unusual synoptics with westerlies at their most dormant.

Posted

I am also looking to the spring...can't wait anymore....:rolleyes:

This winter was not very cold here in south-east Europe but nothing can compare with spring and early summer;)....in spring temperatures here are little above 20°C and it's very pleasant...my opinion is that March in the UK will be pretty cold and wintry,especially in first half but in SE Europe it will be early spring with nice weather...that's only my opinion looking at seassonal forecasts(IBIMET,IRI-COLUMBIA,Noaa....)

Edited by CroatianWeather

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Nice 2 days of mild and sunshine here, almost made the illusive 10c yesterday.

Plenty of snowdrops, and the first crocus is out. Bird song has started in earnest too- especially Great Tits, but also the odd Chaffinch and Thrush in song, so the signs are already appearing.

Posted

Lovely here today and it certainly does feel quite spring-like. With sunshine and temps of 9C and very little wind it is rather pleasant. Just shows how much the sun has strengthened since the end of December/beginning of January.

Posted

Theres certainly no signs of spring here. Not even any daffodil shoots yet.

Its not suprising though, we've only had a maximum above 5C ten times since 14th December (highest being just 7.6C). Only one day has reached double figures since 25th November aswell (10.5C on Dec 6th).

I cant say Ive noticed the warmth in the sun either, but thats mainly because Ive hardly seen it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Not very springlike here yet so far this year, we did reach the dizzy heights of 9.6C yesterday in afternoon sunshine and breeze but cloudier today and feeling chilly at 5.6C and a cold NE wind. Though I suppose the snowdrops are out so that's a start.

Posted

Seen a few snowdrops around in places sheltered from the east wind (getting decent sunshine whenever that elusive ball of fire appears).

On those rare times the sun does appear it is somewhat higher in the sky and does feel a little warmer.

None of that today though - another day of sheet grey cloud and it's now drizzling.

Posted

Quite the opposite here - bright blue skies and reaching 9C. In most years 9C or 10C in winter would be fairly common, after all the average max is about 7C in early February here, but this winter has been below average practically every day. Still too chilly to be pleasant in the sunshine, but when the first 13-14C comes soon It will feel pleasant in the sun.

Edited by robthefool