Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Who's Looking Forward To Spring

dave79

169 members have voted

1. 1. Who's looking forward to spring?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Spring is the beginning of summer for me, my most hated season of the year. Although I do like the showers and quite substantial diurnal ranges.

Already noticed the days getting longer :)

Are you a Troglodite, Nick??? :):)

I love the first 'overland' convective clouds, the short shadows, the Sun streaming in my kitchen window early in the morning... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Are you a Troglodite, Nick??? :) :)

I am indeed Pete :)

I just like the shorter daylight hours as it means that any snow that falls will take longer to melt, as you get into the second half of Feb the sun is stronger and is out for longer. I like the dark evenings, don't know why! As many already know I despise summer...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Oh god yes I am most definitely looking forward to spring! Primarily for the longer daylight hours. Pig sick of it getting dark before I leave work - gives me headaches and makes for some very unsafe feeling journeys home.

Some warmth too would be most welcomed - in the form of strong sunshine but clean fresh air. Usually I like to see a mixture of northerlies and southerlies in spring to give a good mix of cold air/warm sun/convective showers (towering clouds included! One min its sunny, next it's bucketing it down) coupled with much warmer periods giving a taste of the coming summer...

What I don't want in spring is dull easterlies that just feel cold (from cold sea) and bring little but low cloud. Don't mind some Atlantic storms although I prefer those earlier in the season rather than later.

For me, life improves immensely once those clocks move. BST is the time to live, GMT the time to hibernate!

Totally agree! By mid March sunrise is around 6am yet sunset is still around 6pm which from an energy efficiency point of view isn't sensible (since more people are awake doing things at 6pm vs 6am). I only feel 'spring like' once sunset hits around 7pm suddenly giving a sense of getting home from work and it not yet dark...

I agree 100% with everything in that post- quite remarkable! I must say I'm particularly partial to those sun/convective showers days, especially in spring.

The main downside of winter, for me, is always the dark nights. I suppose moving the clocks forward earlier might annoy some of the early risers in early to mid March but overall the benefits would surely much outweigh the downsides.

However I can see things to like in dark evenings so I can understand why some might prefer them. At a personal level I sometimes wonder if there are lesser degrees of the same sort of symptoms that would normally be diagnosed as "SAD", because although I'm not a SAD sufferer, I definitely seem to get lesser versions of the same kind of thing- a greater tendency to feel "up" when there's a lot of sunlight and vice versa.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I just like the shorter daylight hours as it means that any snow that falls will take longer to melt, as you get into the second half of Feb the sun is stronger and is out for longer. I like the dark evenings, don't know why! As many already know I despise summer...

I can see that, mate. The only time I saw snow in June (1975) it did melt rather quickly! :) :) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Crickey that must be tricky when everyone is outside having fun and talking about how lovely everything looks & smells and there's you going 'damn I wish everyone was stuck indoors and outside was a dark land where the only movement is peoples' hurried movement from A to B...' :)

Each to their own of course!

Ah summer... when I gain an extra room in the house in the form of the courtyard/garden and sit in the evenings and watch the swifts fly around making their distinctive sounds with the smell of flowers on the gentle breeze.... bang back to reality... god the kitchen's cold, the heating is drying my eyes out and the fluorescent bulbs are giving me a headache again! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I can see that point as well- Paul Tall raised the good point, for example, that the weak sun in December and early January contributed to the persistence of snow cover in north-east England during the period, even surviving largely intact at times through temperatures of 3-4C and dewpoints above freezing.

The sun on its own doesn't do much to a consolidated snow cover which covers the whole ground, because the snow cover reflects solar radiation. But a strong sun has the effect of raising air temperatures (any snow cover will usually thaw appreciably if we see temps of 4C or higher for any significant amount of time) and also, once the snow has thawed sufficiently to allow some ground (esp. concrete) to show through, the sun will heat it up and accelerate thawing in surrounding areas of snow cover.

To be honest, though, if we could have winters with colder airmasses but a stronger sun (resulting in similar mean maxima), I would choose it over what we currently get (of course it would also mean less marginal snow events overnight which would be more likely to give enough snow cover to survive the daytime sunshine).

Posted

Depends on the weather :nonono:.

If spring means mild and wet then NO!

If it means warm and sunny then YES!

snowsnowsnow until then please :yahoo:.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I always look forward to Spring, but also looking forward to a cold Feb.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Depends on the weather :lol:.

If spring means mild and wet then NO!

If it means warm and sunny then YES!

snowsnowsnow until then please :p.

exactly how I feel, although for April would really like an april 6th 2008, everything white even trees with snow, but would also really like an April 07, virtually no rain

I also hate the north sea misty low cloud, very common setup in spring

Posted

A spring like 1986 would come as a huge shock to anyone who hasn`t seen what springs use to be like,remember it well.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1986/Rrea00119860410.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1986/Rrea00119860415.gif

Posted

I don't tend to start thinking about Spring until the end of February, right now I'm firmly in mid winter mode. March is often a very fickle month in the month, for me Spring starts when the clocks go forward.

Posted

I can see that point as well- Paul Tall raised the good point, for example, that the weak sun in December and early January contributed to the persistence of snow cover in north-east England during the period, even surviving largely intact at times through temperatures of 3-4C and dewpoints above freezing.

The sun on its own doesn't do much to a consolidated snow cover which covers the whole ground, because the snow cover reflects solar radiation. But a strong sun has the effect of raising air temperatures (any snow cover will usually thaw appreciably if we see temps of 4C or higher for any significant amount of time) and also, once the snow has thawed sufficiently to allow some ground (esp. concrete) to show through, the sun will heat it up and accelerate thawing in surrounding areas of snow cover.

To be honest, though, if we could have winters with colder airmasses but a stronger sun (resulting in similar mean maxima), I would choose it over what we currently get (of course it would also mean less marginal snow events overnight which would be more likely to give enough snow cover to survive the daytime sunshine).

I've often wondered, how does snow cover persist for weeks in areas like the US Midwest and eastern Asia which are around 40 degrees north, when the sun in midwinter is 10-15 degrees higher there than in England? Why doesn't it melt like March/April snow does here- even when the temp only reaches 1-2C?.

As for spring, I've traditionally liked March, which has been called "the month of many weathers" though I prefer to call it "the month of ANY weathers"- no other month of the year can offer such a variety of snow, frost, sunshine, hail and temperatures between -10 and +20; combined with the increasing day length it can be a wonderful time of year. Although I agree with the post saying it's wasteful how it gets light at 6am before the clocks go back, but is still dark in the evenings- if we can't have BST year round moving clocks in mid-February would make sense IMHO.

Once April comes I like it to turn warm, but if it doesn't a March-like mixture is fine in the first half. But by the end of the month I tend to expect the "early summer" weather pattern to take hold- warm sunny days, cool nights and the occasional thunderstorm; this rarely happens however until late May if it happens at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I've often wondered, how does snow cover persist for weeks in areas like the US Midwest and eastern Asia which are around 40 degrees north, when the sun in midwinter is 10-15 degrees higher there than in England? Why doesn't it melt like March/April snow does here- even when the temp only reaches 1-2C?.

because the air masses are alot colder..if its well below freezing it wont melt even if it is sunny for days on end..also uk snow is transient and falls generally when the temperature is around freezing point and doesnt build up over a season..so it melts very easily.

Posted

If you want variety or extremes then spring is the season, it can go from early summer warmth to later winter cold within a couple of days, we saw that during early April 2008.

The worst type of spring for me is the springless one. 1996 was practically springless. Spring bulbs were late, May was awful with cloudy skies and a nagging NEly on a number of days. Ugh!

Posted

In other senses I'm dreading Spring on Net-weather this year because the fact that we've had a genuinely cold and snowy winter might mean an even more pronounced "flick of the switch" than usual- that is, extreme intolerance of anyone who welcomes sunshine and snow showers once the 1st March arrives because they're "clinging onto winter" when they should be "moving on", implying that they should make themselves miserable whenever we get sunshine and snow showers.

You're damn right there Ian, I've already got my "why is it bloody not 20 degrees" hat ready for March 1st. Normally I'm looking for wintry outbreaks throughout March and "flick the switch" in April, but in reality that is because recent winters have been so disappointing and I haven't had my fill by March. This winter though? Superb so far. Just a bone chilling February hopefully to add to the list and I think I'd actually be sick of cold after that.

Posted

Although I like Spring in general, I have no problem with cold weather continuing into March. I have also noticed many posters over the years, both here and elsewhere, who having just spent all winter crying out for cold, suddenly start moaning if the weather is below average after March 1st. Cold can still pack a punch in March. The seas are at their coldest, and dew-points tend to be low.

The second half of Spring is what I look forward to. IMO, any good weather before that is somewhat wasted. The sun doesn't get particularly strong until mid-april, and the long evenings with extended twilight suddenly arrive near the end of April.

I frequently go out hill-running, and I find that a fine settled spell in April or May can produce some of the nicest weather of the year. The sun is warm, but the air is still cool and fresh. The days are long and the humidity is low. Perfect! cool.gifcool.gif

Edited by DaBrigg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I think it is fair to say that Spring is seen as the "treasure chest" of seasons. Once you are able to get hold of the key and open the lid, you are greeted to fresh warm days, periods of heavy downpours, and new green leaves on trees.

While I do enjoy Winter with more periods of cold weather to look forward to, it is the elements above that are making me look forward to Spring. Also, the one enemy of Winter for me, is the short daylight hours, which makes the Spring period more inviting.

It is true that you loose more of the cold factor around the warmer season, but I think sometimes, it is great to have a change. Personally, I would rather have a mixture of cold and warm weather throughout the year, than experiencing just one type of weather during the period.

If there is one thing, though, that I particularly like about the warmer season approaching, is knowing that the weather can be very dynamic - clearly, the days can still be domianted by periods of cool snowy weather with warm sunny (or thundery) days tucked away. And just like some members have mentioned, the lengthy clear sunny days can really make you feel content. Sometimes, when it is like that, (and this is particulalry true for me), you feel like embarking on all sorts of journeys through the countryside smelling the fresh air around you. cool.gif

I guess it is no wonder why Spring is one of the potions of happiness, although I understand that people will have different tastes and opinions on this.

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Yes i`m looking forward to spring now as it delivers many different weather types, as said by others wintry weather doesnt just automatically stop when the calendar changes to March 1st, the first half of spring especially can be very cold esp at night, i`m thinking we will be in for a blocked spring this year so a mixture of warmth and cold but leaning more towards cold with northerlies and easterlies prevalent, if we are getting regular winds from the north and east like we are this winter with hardly any westerlies in January one of the stormiest months of the year on average, the traditionally blocked April period looks odds on to be on the cool side this year actually would bet alot of money on it.

Edited by Eugene

Posted

If you want variety or extremes then spring is the season, it can go from early summer warmth to later winter cold within a couple of days, we saw that during early April 2008.

The worst type of spring for me is the springless one. 1996 was practically springless. Spring bulbs were late, May was awful with cloudy skies and a nagging NEly on a number of days. Ugh!

Yes, Spring 1996 was probably my least favourite of the springs we've had since I started recording. March 1996 sticks out for me more than May- there were just 30 hours of sunshine in the Tyneside area (<30% of normal) and 15 consecutive sunless days from the 11th to 25th. Although there was a bit of snow around the 12th and the 26th-30th, we've had many snowier Marches that were nowhere near as cold.

Indeed, the April 2008 switch-around went from warm and dry, if cloudy weather, 17.2C max at Cleadon:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2008/Rrea00120080403.gif

...to snowfalls just three days later:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2008/Rrea00120080406.gif

Perhaps my favourite pattern at that time of year is warm anticyclonic sunny weather:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1995/Rrea00119950414.gif

...followed shortly by northerlies and a mix of sunshine and sharp wintry showers:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1995/Rrea00119950419.gif

There was snow in Cleadon early on the 18th, while the 20th was particularly dramatic with large hail giving an inch of cover. The early Aprils of 1989 and 1990 also had pretty good examples of "from summer to winter in a few days".

Cheeky_Monkey gives a good response. I think a lot of it is down to the dewpoints and the "consolidation" of snow cover (if it's a full, reasonably deep, snow cover and has been through a sharp frost or two, it won't melt much in sunshine unless the temperature gets up to around 4C). Snow stuck around for over a week in sunshine in southern England during March 1970. In contrast a little dusting in March will usually be gone by 11am.

Posted

The spring of 2007 was perfect. Aprils 2003, 2007 and 2009 would be a welcome repeat.

Skip spring lets go straight into summer.

April 2007 = perfect. I can't actually remember a drop of rain falling in Dorset during that, great start to the cricket season with a serious lack of matches cancelled!

March 2005 (I think) was pretty good - remember a trip to London where the temp hit 20 or thereabouts.

Posted

Spring 2007 was not a tale of constant warm settled weather, it is easy to forget that there was a northerly on 18th-21st March:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2007/Rrea00120070319.gif

...and it was often unsettled during May 2007:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2007/Rrea00120070519.gif

I remember a lot of N-W members complained during May in particular following the exceptional April, in some parts of the country the average maximum temperature for May 2007 was below that for April 2007!

Spring 2009 was probably most in line with the preferences of most on here- the temperature homogeneity was truly exceptional, and in Cleadon neither April nor May came close to producing an air frost, and also didn't produce any notable high maxima either. There was no snow over most of lowland Britain following the snow showers of the 3rd/4th March which gave a snow cover to Exeter of all places. I must say that while I enjoyed the frequent warm sunshine I did get a little bored of the lack of variety.

Posted

I'll be thinking about spring in March — it's still the middle of winter.