Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

oh winter well now i love the thought of spring guess im getting to old for all this cold stuff bring on summer as i come from portland in dorset the weather is lovely when the temp is wright and the sun is out.sorry to disapoint the winter lovers.

acute.gif

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

temp 2.5c at the moment.It was very beautiful today, and no I can't wait for spring either.

Posted

temp 2.5c at the moment.It was very beautiful today, and no I can't wait for spring either.

Lovely isn't it! :air_kiss:

How have you enjoyed the first weekend of the hols?

My lie-ins did not go to plan, my body clock just won't stop being in work time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

shower of sleety wet snow first thing this morning at home. unsure.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Rain last night, but dry today, mild and overcast though rolleyes.gif

Posted

showers of sleet here at the moment with a temperature of 3.4c lazy.gif

I know it is unlikely but could ground over 200/300m see some wet snow late in the day over west country? Just maybe?

I think I will be looking out the window all afternoon lol rolleyes.gif

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Temp has fallen away to 2.1C here, quite a rapid drop from earlier and feeling sub zero in the wind from the NW.

I think we might get some wet stuff up here later, I shall stick my head out every now and again. Certainly some very dark (could be because it was getting dark) to the north earlier.

Failing that, 25C and sunny would be OK to...

Posted

Temp has fallen away to 2.1C here, quite a rapid drop from earlier and feeling sub zero in the wind from the NW.

I think we might get some wet stuff up here later, I shall stick my head out every now and again. Certainly some very dark (could be because it was getting dark) to the north earlier.

Failing that, 25C and sunny would be OK to...

haha 25c I think you need a coffee my friend I don't often see that in a good summer.rofl.gif It has not got above 8c since the start of december.

Yes i am keeping eyes open for chance of it turning to snow. good.gif oh and its dark outside now here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None - UK weather is always exciting at some point

Hi Matt,

Have you heard that we are supposed to be getting gales to severe gales by the end of the week. Apparently it is on the charts but I dont have a clue where to even find these charts let alone know how to read them. All I can remember is that it was from Ian Ferg thread last night.

Posted

Well Angers just mentioned rain all the way, not even a hint of any of the white stuff - seemed pretty confident of milder for us - so is there some straw clutching in the Model Discussion Thread?

I can't stand cold and rain! Unless we're heading back to the freezer, with proper snow, for one last hurrah, then i'd like it to warm up now please!rolleyes.gif

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted

I was muchly pleased to hear the word mild in that forecast. Enough is enough isn't it. :)

I am off now to become irritated by yet another Dispatches, which will undoubtedly slag off all teachers and label us all as illiterate, incompetent buffoons who do not care one jot about children's progression, are unaware of the creative curriculum and are only in the job for the holidays! :clap:

Very quiet in here isn't it without snow to get excited about/moan about/stress about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Really looking forward to spring now. I can't understand why some are still pining after more cold and snow! It's been a great winter but I'm tired of the cold weather and like Bristle boy, unless it's going to really snow I am now hoping for some much warmer weather.

Also I'm on half term and I am thinking of cycling over to the Brecons later in the week, but I'm waiting before I book a place to stay, in case of nuisance wet snow! I don't want to get caught out.

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted

Well Angers just mentioned rain all the way, not even a hint of any of the white stuff

That's not strictly true because sleet was mentioned for the Salisbury Plain area tomorrow.

Posted

Regularly gets above 25C here in the summer, last June it was pretty much above 28C for the whole of the last week. Bliss.

Sonnia: you can few the models by clicking on weather at the top of the page and then data centre, you can then pick the various models, which chart you want then which timescale.

As for gales, Spotlight just went for 'a possibility of strong winds' but also snow tonight over the tops of Dartmoor, Exmoor and Bodmin.

Posted

That's not strictly true because sleet was mentioned for the Salisbury Plain area tomorrow.

Andy, i'm one of the guys who loves snow, but it has to on a par with early Jan this year, Feb last year and, of course, even better, the winters of 78/79, 81 and the like.

Wet snow, mixed with rain or sleet at marginal temps just doesn't float my boat and as we approach March a decent snowfall in the West region is quite rare.

'Late Feb 78 type blizzard' events are rare, even in the 'old days' - yes, we can have the odd day where it snows and may even lie for a day or so, but it normally warms up fairly quickly after, so i'd rather just move on into a warm spring.dirol.gif

Posted

Well Angers just mentioned rain all the way, not even a hint of any of the white stuff - seemed pretty confident of milder for us - so is there some straw clutching in the Model Discussion Thread?

I can't stand cold and rain! Unless we're heading back to the freezer, with proper snow, for one last hurrah, then i'd like it to warm up now please!rolleyes.gif

Agreed.

The snow signal remains active into the 10-15 day prog but (as you'd expect at this time of year) retreats ever northwards with time. I'm not in a position to offer the detail anymore, but I've already offered a hint towards the 21/22 Feb period in regards to other weather of note for the SW (potentially of the windy variety).

I haven't bothered looking at the 'other' thread but the relentless march (pardon pun) towards late winter and early spring continues apace, snowbells et al., albeit there will be some distinctly cold periods between now and then - - if the latest UKMO guidance is to be trusted. Hence the snow threat is by no means finished, yet. And that includes at least upland areas of southern England.

Of more local interest could be the likelihood of some lively Cb's developing in the flow into the mid-late week period. For those of us now bored of the winter / snowhyperventilation / 'beasterly' / 'beast from the east' stuff, perhaps a semblance of proper convective cloudspotting is on offer...... with sunnier interludes, too! I was struck how the sunshine on Sunday here felt truly 'warm' (even my cats were lying in it). Fab stuff. Roll-on the Spanish Plumes, says I.

Please note I made no mention of barbecues.

Edited by Ian Fergusson

Posted

Evening Ian,

Yup finally I think we can look forward to some 'spring' like weather, and not before time. The snowdrops haven't flowered up here yet, but I suspect this week will help them out, very late this year.

Can't wait to be able to sit out on the decking, looking over the hills of Dartmoor on a warm evening with friends, BBQ and chilled drinks.

drinks.gif

Posted

Evening Ian,

Yup finally I think we can look forward to some 'spring' like weather, and not before time. The snowdrops haven't flowered up here yet, but I suspect this week will help them out, very late this year.

Can't wait to be able to sit out on the decking, looking over the hills of Dartmoor on a warm evening with friends, BBQ and chilled drinks.

drinks.gif

I avoided - in classic PR fashion - any mention or promise of 'warm evenings', 'BBQ's' and 'chilled drinks'. rolleyes.gif

Posted

Agreed.

The snow signal remains active into the 10-15 day prog but (as you'd expect at this time of year) retreats ever northwards with time. I'm not in a position to offer the detail anymore, but I've already offered a hint towards the 21/22 Feb period in regards to other weather of note for the SW (potentially of the windy variety).

I haven't bothered looking at the 'other' thread but the relentless march (pardon pun) towards late winter and early spring continues apace, snowbells et al., albeit there will be some distinctly cold periods between now and then - - if the latest UKMO guidance is to be trusted. Hence the snow threat is by no means finished, yet. And that includes at least upland areas of southern England.

Of more local interest could be the likelihood of some lively Cb's developing in the flow into the mid-late week period. For those of us now bored of the winter / snowhyperventilation / 'beasterly' / 'beast from the east' stuff, perhaps a semblance of proper convective cloudspotting is on offer...... with sunnier interludes, too! I was struck how the sunshine on Sunday here felt truly 'warm' (even my cats were lying in it). Fab stuff. Roll-on the Spanish Plumes, says I.

Please note I made no mention of barbecues.

Thanks Ian for the update.

You say you're "not in a position to offer the detail anymore" - does this mean you are not allowed to share some of the data you've added into the threads this winter, because of contract restrictions or something?

And, yes, the sun does have some warmth now - luverly!

Posted

I avoided - in classic PR fashion - any mention or promise of 'warm evenings', 'BBQ's' and 'chilled drinks'. rolleyes.gif

Aha! I know, but surely there will be one warm evening this spring/summer? unsure.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Yep I have to agree with your sentiments. This past week when the sun has been out it has felt very pleasant (when out of the wind), and now I really want to start getting on with things in the garden and preping the veg patch etc.

Posted

You say you're "not in a position to offer the detail anymore" - does this mean you are not allowed to share some of the data you've added into the threads this winter, because of contract restrictions or something?

An adequate summary.

In my own (original) branch of science, we didn't keep sharks a secret. Indeed, they kept their secrets from us.

Thankfully, given the state of (what's left of) global fisheries. But I digress, and get duly depressed.....