Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Andy Music Thread

Methuselah

Posted

This has been discussed numerous times on the Net Weather forums, there is no link between the US having snow snow and then us having snow seven days later.

Just because a myth is repeated often enough doesn't make it true unfortunately.

I will laugh my cotton little socks off if it snows in 7 days rofl.gif

Let's get a campaign to fly that guy over here - soon get the stuffy BBC met boys to sort their forecasts out - brilliant - enthusiasm - excitement - that's what is needed - BBC are always scared of over doing any particular weather type unless they are accused of "ramping" or scaring people - if a message needs getting over to people do it in the most clearest way you can! - and he sure does that!cold.gif

nothing to do with a myth being repeated - chinese whispers etc - more to do with the FACT that this actually happens a lot and needs a look into that's all!

Why then has this been frequently dismissed on this forum over the past number of years as a theory which doesn't hold water,

Once or twice USA had snow an we had it a week later, BUT many more times they have snow and we don't, it has been looked into and any real link has been dismissed.

Ask MR Data and Glacier Point as their views on this and I am pretty sure of their response.

Posted

Let's get a campaign to fly that guy over here - soon get the stuffy BBC met boys to sort their forecasts out - brilliant - enthusiasm - excitement - that's what is needed - BBC are always scared of over doing any particular weather type unless they are accused of "ramping" or scaring people - if a message needs getting over to people do it in the most clearest way you can! - and he sure does that!cold.gif

Yes I will sign the campaign lol. He is brilliant isn't he? (by the way, my dad was not often wrong bless him....shhhhhhh) lol

I will laugh my cotton little socks off if it snows in 7 days rofl.gif

It may snow in 7 days, although I suspect, probably not much, but this is certainly not linked to the current snow in the US, especially when you consider the weather for the next week is predominately from the East or possibly North East.

I used to think that that we would have snow 7 days after America, but after frequent non appearance, you do start to realise that generally it does not happen.

Posted

Why then has this been frequently dismissed on this forum over the past number of years as a theory which doesn't hold water,

Once or twice USA had snow an we had it a week later, BUT many more times they have snow and we don't, it has been looked into and any real link has been dismissed.

Ask MR Data and Glacier Point as their views on this and I am pretty sure of their response.

sorry Jackone - due to the fact that this forum is enormous and I've got a life to live as well as partaking in this "hobby" I've not come across that thread - lots of others repeat various topics all over the net - not uncommon - just having a polite conversation about the Americans getting their snow and the possibilities of us getting some shortly soon too - that's all

It may snow in 7 days, although I suspect, probably not much, but this is certainly not linked to the current snow in the US, especially when you consider the weather for the next week is predominately from the East or possibly North East.

I used to think that that we would have snow 7 days after America, but after frequent non appearance, you do start to realise that generally it does not happen.

we're not talking about the direction of where the weather is coming from Jackone - we're just talking about the fact that the synoptics for snow (whether the weather's coming from east,north,south,west etc etc etc) seem to set themselves up after the americans had the correct synoptics too - I'm not saying that their actual snow comes from America to Britain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wallbash.gif

Posted

As long as it snows I will be happy lol Don't care if it is shipped in as long as we get some. yahoo.gif fingers crossed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

:yahoo: such a funny forecast from the US! :cold:

Lol nice forecast :cold:

I dont believe we get snow days after E Coast of the USA has it. Although the jet stream can steer low pressure out of the NE USA towards the UK which usually gives us rain and strong winds.

Found a video where Dan Corbett gives a forecast that shows a storm coming out of the US (9/3/08):

Edited by SnowStorm(Jamie)

sorry Jackone - due to the fact that this forum is enormous and I've got a life to live as well as partaking in this "hobby" I've not come across that thread - lots of others repeat various topics all over the net - not uncommon - just having a polite conversation about the Americans getting their snow and the possibilities of us getting some shortly soon too - that's all

we're not talking about the direction of where the weather is coming from Jackone - we're just talking about the fact that the synoptics for snow (whether the weather's coming from east,north,south,west etc etc etc) seem to set themselves up after the americans had the correct synoptics too - I'm not saying that their actual snow comes from America to Britain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wallbash.gif

Many of these threads were before you joined to be fair, so it's going over old ground. Also many people who did subscribe to the 7 day rule, said it came directly from America.

Anyway start a new thread in the main forum to find out.

Posted

we're not talking about the direction of where the weather is coming from Jackone/Jamie.ed - we're just talking about the fact that the synoptics for snow (whether the weather's coming from east,north,south,west etc etc etc) seem to set themselves up after the americans had the correct synoptics too - I'm not saying that their actual snow comes from America to Britain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wallbash.gif

oh Ali - if you do happen not to get some and I think you will - you'll be welcome to have some of mine!good.gif

Edited by andymusic

Posted

we're not talking about the direction of where the weather is coming from Jackone/Jamie.ed - we're just talking about the fact that the synoptics for snow (whether the weather's coming from east,north,south,west etc etc etc) seem to set themselves up after the americans had the correct synoptics too - I'm not saying that their actual snow comes from America to Britain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wallbash.gif

oh Ali - if you do happen not to get some and I think you will - you'll be welcome to have some of mine!good.gif

lol cheers Andy.... Ill make the bacon sarnies or stew when I collect it..

Posted

Good Morning Everyone.

Well sneaking in very quietly and not uttering a word in the Model Output Discussion (I find it too scary in their) it is all looking good this morning, which makes for a rolleyes.gif day. I spotted it all looked better for the south and south west (that is near enough) and for the whole uk generally. Fingers, toes, legs, arms, ears, nose and every else crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

:yahoo: such a funny forecast from the US! :yahoo:

i think that guy hates the snow!

Posted

Ali, don't worry about the stuffed shirts in the model thread - they're a bunch of babies anyway - every now and then when they can't agree they act like a bunch of politicians and start screaming at each other and fighting - and they've got a daft set of rules - if you don't mention the word "model" or "GFS" or "ECM" they delete your post - it's crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - don't be scared of them - they are only humans like the rest of us with an opinion - they just try to look down there noses at some of us cause they think they are superior - seems daft and stupid to me - we ALL have an opinion about weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!tease.gif

Will it snow in Cardiff this week mate?

Posted

from looking at the GFS today the cold spell looks like it's set in from today right through to at least as far as the run ends - 23rd FEB and beyond - a cracking cold spell

Will it snow in Cardiff this week mate?

cold.gif will be cold - might get some light snow showers early in the week - mid week onwards and especially next weekend is when things could really start to liven up with snowcold.gif

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Looking at some of the charts this morning, there is a greater risk of snow for wales at the end of nextweek/weekend

Posted

Ali, don't worry about the stuffed shirts in the model thread - they're a bunch of babies anyway - every now and then when they can't agree they act like a bunch of politicians and start screaming at each other and fighting - and they've got a daft set of rules - if you don't mention the word "model" or "GFS" or "ECM" they delete your post - it's crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - don't be scared of them - they are only humans like the rest of us with an opinion - they just try to look down there noses at some of us cause they think they are superior - seems daft and stupid to me - we ALL have an opinion about weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!tease.gif

lol Andy I agree. I cannot believe that Adults can behave in such a way when I read some of the threads, it is unbelievable. Anyway, I will send you in next time if I need info lol

Posted

lol Andy I agree. I cannot believe that Adults can behave in such a way when I read some of the threads, it is unbelievable. Anyway, I will send you in next time if I need info lol

I keep one eye on it occassionaly - but I gotta be honest I can pretty much read what I need from the models myself without reading through the bickering that goes on in there and certainly without answering or commenting on someone's post only for it to be deleted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this time of year, Easterlies either tend to bring a lot of dry sunny and cold weather or a chance of some snow at times. Not that bad at all.

For us to get snow, we are looking for a disturbance or a strong winds from the east with quite low pressure, to enable the snow to push this far west.

It is looking largely dry for the start of the week, but there is a slight chance that a low pressure pushing SW may reach Wales, probably will miss us to teh south. Better chance of some snow towards next weekend and perhaps thereafter as a Northerly seem likely to follow.

I keep one eye on it occassionaly - but I gotta be honest I can pretty much read what I need from the models myself without reading through the bickering that goes on in there and certainly without answering or commenting on someone's post only for it to be deleted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine what it would be like if all the bickering was left in there. :(

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Thats an uncalled for attack on many people on Netweather. There are many valued contributors to the model threads who endeavour to educate, have many years experience in their field, and help us to decipher what the future weather will be like.

There are people on the other hand, some relatively recent to the forums, who are self-opinionated, ill-informed, and not open to being educated and informed by more experienced people. The contributions of the latter, although adding humour, are often misleading through basic ignorance and through seemingly not wanting to respect differing viewpoints. Comes across as attention seeking and even rude as above.

Behave in what way, could you elaborate with examples please?

On the whole I value the contributors from the model threads and there is (thanks to the moderators removing self-opinionated and irrelevant posts) respected insight, based on many years of experience, that we should be grateful for and not make disrespectful comments like this.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Methinks that what Andymusic is trying to say is that posts in the Model thread (that have nothing whatever to do with models) usually get deleted? I'd never have thought it!!! :rolleyes:

BTW, I do believe with have a thread DEDICATED to whining...It might even be called the Whining Thread? :good: :good:

Posted

Methinks that what Andymusic is trying to say is that posts in the Model thread (that have nothing whatever to do with models) usually get deleted? I'd never have thought it!!! :rolleyes:

BTW, I do believe with have a thread DEDICATED to whining...It might even be called the Whining Thread? :good: :good:

Yes i'm sure we have that somewhere in this forum :)

Posted

Thats an uncalled for attack on many people on Netweather. There are many valued contributors to the model threads who endeavour to educate, have many years experience in their field, and help us to decipher what the future weather will be like.

Thre are people on the other hand, some relatively recent to the forums, who are self-opinionated, ill-informed, and not open to being educated and informed by more experienced people. The contributions of the latter, although adding humour, are often misl;eading through basic ignorance and through seemingly not wanting to respect differing viewpoint. Comes across as attention seeking and even rude as above.

I find it even more rude that people with a full understanding of the models and the mathematics behind them look down on others who are "less gifted" in this area and prevent them from getting invloved with however humble a post it may be - just like Ali said - she feels intimidated by that thread because of the way people behave in there. I bring some humour to my posts because I "ENJOY" my "HOBBY" of weather watching, not because I want to encourage an audience (even though my background is in show business). I'm sorry you feel my posts are "rude" but I feel it's rude when you exclude people from things too. sounds like a clique group which I have had many an experience from in past years!

Posted

There are people on the other hand, some relatively recent to the forums, who are self-opinionated, ill-informed, and not open to being educated and informed by more experienced people. The contributions of the latter, although adding humour, are often misleading through basic ignorance and through seemingly not wanting to respect differing viewpoints. Comes across as attention seeking and even rude as above.

Behave in what way, could you elaborate with examples please?

On the whole I value the contributors from the model threads and there is (thanks to the moderators removing self-opinionated and irrelevant posts) respected insight, based on many years of experience, that we should be grateful for and not make disrespectful comments like this.

From an outsider looking in and someone who knows nothing about weather (but enjoys it all and would like to learn more) , I have to say though, that when you look at some of the posts in that room it is quite sad actually... I cannot believe that grown ups can treat others as some people do just because they have a different opinion. I would be afraid to say anything as I would be afraid of what response i would get. Although saying that, I love watching the obviously experienced and informative members of the site and enjoy all their knowledge which they kindly share, just a shame that it is turning more and more into a boxing match.

Posted

The model output discussion thread has been hijacked by cold rampers and trolls (and trolling cold rampers). Any constructive poster expressing caution is lynched, I bet a lot of people are terrified to post there now.

Well the outlook is cold right now but it's a shame the debate side of the model thread has now become "dangerous"diablo.gif