Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I think the beeb have got this horribly wrong. They forecast 2-5cm for lower ground in the Midlands this afternoon and currently the temp here is 2.7c with a dew of 1.7c. It won't snow with a temperature like that :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Hey Everyone- well, well, well, so the GFS has done a complete about-face turn-a-round for next week! I still know to take that with a pinch of salt, but just shows how the models are really struggling with predictions so far. Personally, I reckon winter is pretty much over now, in the sense of REAL winter. Like snow. AND below freezing cold. Was nice to have the arctic chill though, wudda been nicer to see some heavy snow too, but Im going to change all that when I move to the peak district!!! blum.gif

For now, keepin an eye in the sky to see if I get any flakes (falls off the chair laughing) this afteroon. Ya never know!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

March always likes to have a sting in its tail too, so I wouldnt rule out random snow in march!!!! Albeit not laying for long. smile.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Well, the main precip is almost here, so the next 30 mins or so will dictate for any snow in mid-staffs........I've just got home from work, and today did a loop from Penkridge, to Cosdall, to Kings Norton (South Brum) through Penn, wolverhampton, and then back home.....There was some light snow around 11am in the Dudley area, a very light flurry in Kings Norton around midday, and moderate grauple in Penn around 2pm, and apparently, light snow in Penkridge around 12:30....It does feel bitterly cold out there atm

well, precip from the main band has started, and its.............................

..............sleet

Well, the main precip is almost here, so the next 30 mins or so will dictate for any snow in mid-staffs........I've just got home from work, and today did a loop from Penkridge, to Cosdall, to Kings Norton (South Brum) through Penn, wolverhampton, and then back home.....There was some light snow around 11am in the Dudley area, a very light flurry in Kings Norton around midday, and moderate grauple in Penn around 2pm, and apparently, light snow in Penkridge around 12:30....It does feel bitterly cold out there atm

well, precip from the main band has started, and its.............................

..............sleet

and now rain........well, there was at least 2 minutes of wintryness.....lol

Posted

uick postfrom work, although i only live 5 min walk away from home.

moderate snow here for last 30mins just starting to settle on the car park. :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

There really should be some reports of heavy snow from Stoke northwards as a heavy band of precip pushes north east across this region. For the Midlands, this was always the area most at risk from moderate or heavy snowfall. Depending on how intense it is, there could be some temporary accumulations before milder air is introduced later on today.

yep, I'd say a line Whitchurch to Stoke to Derby northwards for snow, elsewhere rain with a hint a sleet at first

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

uick postfrom work, although i only live 5 min walk away from home.

moderate snow here for last 30mins just starting to settle on the car park. yahoo.gif

You live where I plan to move to!!!!!!! I WANT SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!!! we had about 10 flakes mixed in with sleety/rain. Very light precip though. Feeling very cold out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Plain old light rain here, I will clip the heavier stuff but doubt it will accumulate to anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

getting a covering of snow now in stoke

Posted

Plain old light rain here, I will clip the heavier stuff but doubt it will accumulate to anything.

just in the heavier area of precip, and yep, you guessed it, its heavier rain! :)

Posted

Had some light snow this morning here though it really was nothing more than flurries, typically in the one hour i had to walk home we had one hour of torrential driving precipitation which alternated between pingy icy rain, plain old rain and sleet along with a strong breeze.

Posted

OH MY GOD ITS SNOWING IN NOTTINGHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shok.gif

Nice to see north midlanders receive some snow just cold rain here but edge hill in south warwickshire might of had some snowfall, was up there yesterday its always few C colder on my car thermometer than lower areas of the countryside.

I`m going to enjoy the next few milder days before big freeze hits :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Rain here, never even had some front edge sleet or snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

had a few snow flurries earlier, very surprised but not really excited as I knew mild air would arrive,

models exciting again, saw the snow storms on the 06Z, 12Z looks great as well from next week, but miles in FI yet

Posted

Had some snow, nothing much but nice to look at. Quite heavy for a time as well, before it relaxed to soft hail, then rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

temp 3.2c at 11.37pm and its been raining on and off all evening. The temp did creep up to 4c earlier this even but has dropped back a little now.

Didn't expect any snow but was hoping against hope for some. Never mind at least it shouldn't be icey in the morning, was a nightmare trying to walk the dog at 6am.

Edited by chapmanraven

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Interesting reading on the Model thread this morning, all seem to be agreeing that the cold is coming back, possibly from the weekend. If the charts that are posted turn into reality it will be brilliant.

Just going to bung the hat, scarf and gloves in the washer and polish the sledge ready to welcome back the snow.....or am I getting over excited to early?

Temp at present 7.7c reading on the sensor and guess what its raining but it is brightening. This less cold spell has certainly helped with the coal bill and it means I've got a good stock of coal ready to bank up the stove next week. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks like the cold may return as soon as Monday now. GFS is keen to keep us cold as well thus much of the country should see snow. Precipitation doesnt looks great right now but this was the same problem we had before the severe cold at the beginging of January and look what came out of that! Precip always turns out to be more of a last minute thing, especially snow.

Posted

the charts remind me of 17th-18th Dec 2009 sadly, dont really want a repeat of that, but a long way off yet

Posted

Far too early to think about where may or may not see snow. We still need the easterly to set in! Models will undoubtably shift around a bit over the next few days. But IMO there's a good chance of snow later next week, even to the Midlands.

Posted

We don't want the ECM to verify, snow showers might clip Northants but nothing for the rest of us other than cold boring and dry.

We need the sort of E/NE being progged by the UKMO/GFS, but you can bet which model will be coming off...

no I dont want ECM to verify, expecting gfs and ukmo to trend towards ECM tomorrow